Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Yes all of the situations you presented would present as not the right situation. I am so confused why you dont think so?

Anyway it is here, the new transfer rule will will be happening if not this year then next. No need for you to continue to present other ridiculous proposals. The on being talked about will happen and college basketball will continue on just fine. Coaches will continue to whine (they do already with current rules) and there will be fans like you that will predict doom and gloom for the state of the sport but none of the doom will come to fruition.

In 10 years people will look back and remember that crazy nonsensical rule that used to make players sit a year for no reason when they wanted to switch schools.
    https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...waiver-process

And, yet the NCAA Board somehow isn't quite as convinced....

"The NCAA Division I Board of Directors said Thursday that it does not recommend potential changes to the transfer waiver process."
    Last edited by MHettel; 05-17-2020 at 01:16 PM.

The Board of Directors doesn't vote. The Council does. And I don't think the BOD is against it so much as they are against doing it now considering how much of a mess everything else is with COVID 19.

Seriously, though. Why would any fan be against this? Why would they even care? Can't we as fans just watch the games and be happy? Why is it that heightened restrictions somehow enhances some peoples' enjoyment of just sitting on their asses and watching the games? The great thing about being a fan is that that's all we gotta do! Watch the games, and be happy! Changing the transfer rules so they're the same as all other sports has NOTHING to do with the fans.
    Last edited by xubrew; 05-18-2020 at 10:06 AM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    The Board of Directors doesn't vote. The Council does. And I don't think the BOD is against it so much as they are against doing it now considering how much of a mess everything else is with COVID 19.

Seriously, though. Why would any fan be against this? Why would they even care? Can't they just watch the games and be happy? Why is it that heightened restrictions somehow enhances their enjoyment of just sitting on their asses and watching the games? The great thing about being a fan is that that's all you gotta do! Watch the games, and be happy! Changing the transfer rules so they're the same as all other sports has NOTHING to do with the fans.
    Didn't you get the memo? It is going to ruin college basketball.

EvErYoNe iS a FrEe AgEnT!
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Supporting Member

I thought the G league was going to ruin college basketball? It is so hard to keep up with these memos.
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there壇 be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by STL_XUfan View Post
    I thought the G league was going to ruin college basketball? It is so hard to keep up with these memos.
    Ha good point. I forgot about that memo. Hard to keep up indeed.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

...he went up late, and I was already up there.

So, can coaches actively recruit players from other teams?

If not, why? They should be able to do that. It would provide the most opportunity for the Player, right?

I'm not for a transferring free-for-all. I just think a lot of coaches are talking out of both sides of their mouths on this issue. Painter is whiny because he lost a player he didn't want to lose. But nothing stopped him from taking Evan Boudreaux after he left Dartmouth and backed out on Xavier after Mack left. Same goes for Izzo, he's against it, except for when he wants Hauser to be immediately eligible.

The coaches I feel for are at the smaller schools when the high-majors poach their top players. Because they most likely took a chance on a lightly recruited player, developed them and then the kid leaves. The coaches are probably making a fairly regular salary and their hopes can hinge on one extremely talented kid staying. Can't blame the kid, but he was probably taken by some high major coach whining about transfers.

I think some conferences have gone to 4 year scholarships, but most are annual renewals. So commit to a kid for 4 years, but most coaches don't want to do that. They want to be able to run a kid off. I think coaches running players off is an aspect that everyone is glossing over.

I think that something else that is glossed over is that participation in intercollegiate athletics is a privilege and not a right. At the same time, so is the job as a coach. BOTH parties need to be respectful of the other party. The coaches have a responsibility to look out for the best interests of the players, and I think that the best coaches do. At the same time, the players need to understand that they are just a PART of the team and that they owe something to the coaches and schools that give them the opportunity to be a member.

I don’t think that it’s too much to ask that the kids be given some freedom to transfer, nor is it to much to ask the players to not take advantage of that freedom. But coaches need to be kept from running players off too. However, since we aren’t dealing with perfect situations or perfect people most of the time, there needs to be some rules and regulations in place so that it doesn’t get out of control. It’s a balancing act and everyone needs to compromise.

In the end though....the NCAA and coaches are going to do what they do and no amount of message board discussion is going to change that.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    I don’t think that it’s too much to ask that the kids be given some freedom to transfer, nor is it to much to ask the players to not take advantage of that freedom. But coaches need to be kept from running players off too.
    Sounds great. Would never work.

The thing that gets me is when someone says they are in favor of the transfer rule change because "I support whatever is in the best interest of the player."

That's such a freaking bleeding heart take, it makes me laugh. Lets see how far we can take it...

These items are in the best interest of the player:

-Midyear transfer, immediate eligibility.
    -No restrictive recruiting windows. Coaches can contact players whenever and however they choose.
    -Players can get paid, without limit, and there is no disclosure requirement. Players can accept with money with no expectation that they will play at the school.
    -No cumbersome LOIs or any type of binding paperwork. We get to find out who is on the roster at the first practice.

All solid ideas that are in the best interest of the players.