Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Transfer Frustration Growing

Matt Painter was not complimentary of the Noel Eastern Transfer (Link).

Larry Krystkowiak sounded off after losing two players (Link).
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Supporting Member
    Cant think of what is more ridiculous, millionaire basketball coaches that can break contracts anytime they want, whining about kids leaving, or the Tampa Rays pitcher bro whining about only making a couple million while people have lost their jobs and/or their businesses.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Matt Painter was not complimentary of the Noel Eastern Transfer (Link).

Larry Krystkowiak sounded off after losing two players (Link).
    For some reason neither link is working for me but I dont even have to read to know I dont care at all about these loser coaches whining about losing transfers. What sour grapes. I am sure they mentioned some BS about how players leave at first sign of adversity and the rules need to get stricter not looser on transfers or some BS. Give me a break.

These coaches make millions and can leave at the drop of a hat and they are whining about a player/student who makes nothing wanting to go to a different school. Blah Blah Blah.

I can't wait for these players to be able to transfer and not have to sit a year.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Let the kids go if they want. Coaches whining is BS.

If you do a good job in selling the whole institutional experience, and trust in yourself, then DON'T violate that trust after the kid gets there, then the kid should want to stay- like guys like Jimmy Farr and Sean O'Mara did.

These kids, though, I will admit, are too much a part of the "immediate gratification" and "everybody gets a trophy" culture that has been perpetrated.
    That being said, they should have the freedom to transfer without shackles. Period.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Cant think of what is more ridiculous, millionaire basketball coaches that can break contracts anytime they want, whining about kids leaving, or the Tampa Rays pitcher bro whining about only making a couple million while people have lost their jobs and/or their businesses.
    Both

I've fixed the links in the original post.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    That being said, they should have the freedom to transfer without shackles. Period.
    disagree

If the situation is no longer the right situation for the kid, he should be allowed to transfer.

I also enjoy these whiny coaches who won't hesitate to run off a player who isn't working out. Somehow this has been missed in the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrett View Post
    If the situation is no longer the right situation for the kid, he should be allowed to transfer.
    What does this mean? Who's to say what is the right situation for a kid? Only the kid himself, right? If you parent is critically ill and you play halfway across the country, then maybe that's not the right situation for the kid.

But a kid that gets beat out, fair and square, for playing time. Not the right situation?

Or what if that kid is disruptive to the team and gets benched. Not the right situation?

Or a kid that doesn't like the smell in the locker room. Not the right situation?

The right situation is irrelevant. There is no such thing. If this is the criteria to transfer, then all the kids will just say "it's not the right situation." So you kind of neuter the idea of criteria at all.

I think there is a middle ground somewhere between the current state and the proposed "free for all"

Some exceptions I would make to the existing rule
    - if you transfer, and the coach grants a "release", you are eligible (addresses kids that are in over their head).
    - If the coach leaves (on his own) you can transfer and be eligible immediately.
    - Teams may only accept ONE transfer per year that is immediately eligible due to the exceptions above.
    - Establish more consistent criteria for granting a hardship waiver. the current process is a crapshoot.

- consider granting an additional year of eligibility for traditional transfers (sit a year guys). Right now you have 5 years to play 4, so it works out OFTEN for traditional transfers. But if they redshirted previously, then they burn a year during their sit out year. That should be changed.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    What does this mean? Who's to say what is the right situation for a kid? Only the kid himself, right? If you parent is critically ill and you play halfway across the country, then maybe that's not the right situation for the kid.

But a kid that gets beat out, fair and square, for playing time. Not the right situation?

Or what if that kid is disruptive to the team and gets benched. Not the right situation?

Or a kid that doesn't like the smell in the locker room. Not the right situation?

The right situation is irrelevant. There is no such thing. If this is the criteria to transfer, then all the kids will just say "it's not the right situation." So you kind of neuter the idea of criteria at all.

I think there is a middle ground somewhere between the current state and the proposed "free for all"

Some exceptions I would make to the existing rule
    - if you transfer, and the coach grants a "release", you are eligible (addresses kids that are in over their head).
    - If the coach leaves (on his own) you can transfer and be eligible immediately.
    - Teams may only accept ONE transfer per year that is immediately eligible due to the exceptions above.
    - Establish more consistent criteria for granting a hardship waiver. the current process is a crapshoot.

- consider granting an additional year of eligibility for traditional transfers (sit a year guys). Right now you have 5 years to play 4, so it works out OFTEN for traditional transfers. But if they redshirted previously, then they burn a year during their sit out year. That should be changed.
    Yes all of the situations you presented would present as not the right situation. I am so confused why you dont think so?

Anyway it is here, the new transfer rule will will be happening if not this year then next. No need for you to continue to present other ridiculous proposals. The on being talked about will happen and college basketball will continue on just fine. Coaches will continue to whine (they do already with current rules) and there will be fans like you that will predict doom and gloom for the state of the sport but none of the doom will come to fruition.

In 10 years people will look back and remember that crazy nonsensical rule that used to make players sit a year for no reason when they wanted to switch schools.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17