9 25.71%
  • KyKy

9 25.71%
  • Odom

17 48.57%
  • Johnson

0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I agree with the Scruggs to start and Odom moving in. How far into the season...? How much practice time do they get before the season?
    I also agree that the best scenario is Odom from the get-go.

Biggest factor: Freshman. Period.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    1,000% agree with this whole post. Hopefully the scheme will be more organized, clearer and simpler for those players to make the correct decisions.
    I just don't think that as good as Dwon may be, that he can just step in as PG. Scruggy is much better off the ball. KyKy, at least, has some D1 PG game experience. I would hope that there will be O sets developed where the term PG in reality only is referring to which player brings the ball across the mid-court line then becomes basically irrelevant after that.

Besides Lloyd's PNR comment, I really need to see more off-ball screens- especially on the wings, to open guys up for potential back door cuts. That high ball screen offense last year was disgusting to behold- and pulled Tyrique away from the basket too much.
    Hard for me to disagree with MOR on anything. The man is a Genius and strong enough to nail his theses about Coach Steele to the doors of Bellermine Chapel while enduring the slings and arrows of this board's traditionalists.

But, while Scruggs may open up at the "1", everything I've read and what little I've seen tells me Odom is the truest P.G. we will have. It is extremely difficult for a true freshman to come in and start at any position in a tough conference like the B.E., much less at the point. But, Scruggs, as others have noted, is hugely more effective off the ball. Tandy is capable of playing point (I think he didn't get many minutes at that spot last season). But, to maximize his offensive capabilities, he also needs to be off the ball. And, based on last season, Tandy's minutes will be justified by his offensive production not his defensive skills.

let's hope we have a season!

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Villanova probably runs maybe two actual “plays”. The rest of their offense is based on positionless ball and concepts as to where players move on the floor and what they do based on what others are doing. Other great offenses were based much more on getting the bill out and breathing the opposition down the floor for easy baskets.

Just saying that there are many ways to skin a cat.
    Xavier has run wayyyyyyyyyyyy too many called sets the past few years to get where they ever want to go offensively. Travis would be the first to tell anyone that.

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Just curious what you saw last year from Scruggs and Kyky that make you feel confident that can initiate the plays effectively the majority of the time? They both turned it over a lot.

I think Scruggs is in for a big year next year being the lead dog without Naji around but I think he will be best off the ball.

KyKy I would expect to improve and be better but he looked a lot better off the ball as well.
    I'm going to reignite a firestorm on here if I go into my rant again as to why there were so many turnovers over the last two years. I think that, again given a clearly designed overall scheme, that they will be fine.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Supporting Member
    Good breakdown of Q”s career by Banners and how much more effective he was with shooters around him. Offense will be fine with some guys that can consistently knock down shots again.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JEHARDI View Post
    Good breakdown of Q”s career by Banners and how much more effective he was with shooters around him. Offense will be fine with some guys that can consistently knock down shots again.
    We have litigated (and re-litigated) the subject so many times on this board. But, I just cannot understand what happened to Q's game between his Sophomore and Junior seasons. It is just baffling to me that a young man with (seemingly) so much potential could regress so significantly. I agree there was a sharp decline in the talent around him in the second half of his career but there was still plenty of talent. Q was the player on the court in the best position to exploit the talent that was on the court with him. But, he didn't and his mental state seemed to decline precipitously in the latter half of his college hoops career.

Anyway, this is old news but I still wonder................

Supporting Member
    I love scruggs and I'm so glad he came back, he should bring some needed leadership to the team with naji and q off of it. However, he was pretty terrible last year when put in the pg position, he was not a good decision maker at all, and plays so much better off the ball. Now, maybe all of this will change with q and naji off the team, chemistry might have just affected a lot of things last year.

Odom hopefully will be good enough to be the starting pg by end of the season, but honestly I think kyky is our best option at the start of the year. He showed great flashes of being able to get to the rim last year, and though he had some freshmen mistakes, I thought he was pretty competent when asked to start the offense.

All of this is moot if odom is a stud from day one.

Odom-pg
    Kyky-SG
    Scruggs-3
    Free-4
    Miles maybe at the 5??

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever View Post
    We have litigated (and re-litigated) the subject so many times on this board. But, I just cannot understand what happened to Q's game between his Sophomore and Junior seasons. It is just baffling to me that a young man with (seemingly) so much potential could regress so significantly. I agree there was a sharp decline in the talent around him in the second half of his career but there was still plenty of talent. Q was the player on the court in the best position to exploit the talent that was on the court with him. But, he didn't and his mental state seemed to decline precipitously in the latter half of his college hoops career.

There were some perimeter players in the Prosser era that seemed to experience similar regressions: Lumpkin, Mo Mcafee, Lloyd Price. Does anyone with better recollection of that time remember what happened to those three?

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever View Post

Frankly, having a child does tend to add to one’s “schedule”.
    X A V I E R

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    I love scruggs and I'm so glad he came back, he should bring some needed leadership to the team with naji and q off of it. However, he was pretty terrible last year when put in the pg position, he was not a good decision maker at all, and plays so much better off the ball. Now, maybe all of this will change with q and naji off the team, chemistry might have just affected a lot of things last year.

Odom hopefully will be good enough to be the starting pg by end of the season, but honestly I think kyky is our best option at the start of the year. He showed great flashes of being able to get to the rim last year, and though he had some freshmen mistakes, I thought he was pretty competent when asked to start the offense.

All of this is moot if odom is a stud from day one.

Odom-pg
    Kyky-SG
    Scruggs-3
    Free-4
    Miles maybe at the 5??
    Not to turn this thread into a starting lineup debate but I can't conceive any situation in my head where Carter isn't a starter. Definitely at least in the beginning. Miles or Ramsey would really have to make Steele start them by their play being so unexpected for me to see Carter not start at the 4.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17