9 25.71%
  • Odom

17 48.57%
  • Johnson

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Sophomore

Starting PG for 20-21

Threw Johnson in there because he is sort of an unknown to me but at 6'1" has probably played some point.
    Last edited by Drew; 05-15-2020 at 12:34 AM.

I get why someone might say Johnson, but I think he's here to score and play defense. Everyone should be sharing and setting up others to score, but that's not the same thing as the floor general.

Coaches will want the younger guards to learn the point guard position, as they will hopefully be running the offense for a longer period of time.

I'm hoping either Tandy or Odom will move into those minutes more and more, but I really think Scruggs will take this season as a challenge to prove he can lead and play the point, as that is his best shot at a roll in the pro ranks. I can see the team having guys sort of playing point in tandem, but it's Scruggs team this year. He'll be the point guard.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    For the sake of our team being as successful as possible I hope Odom is the real deal right away and can either start at PG right away or take over shortly in the season (hoping there is a season obviously). Scruggs is so much better off the ball. Maybe that changes with Naji gone and he feels more free even with the ball but I still think he will be most effective off the ball. KyKy was a lot better off the ball last year as well but I get he could make a jump and feel a lot more comfortable as the PG but I have reservations about it.

I am not one to hype freshman or usually have unrealistic expectations about them and I have concerns Odom would be able to start at PG right away but I think best case scenario for the team is he is able to do so. So I voted for him.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Please correct me if wrong, but wasnt Tandy playing point the majority of the minutes that he and Scruggs shared? I dont see why Scruggs is getting any love in this poll based on that point alone.

Kyky will be our PG to start the year. Hopefully by conference start Odom gets some meaningful minutes

KyKy isn't a PG. That was pretty clear to see last year.

I hope we see Odom emerge quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    KyKy isn't a PG. That was pretty clear to see last year.

I hope we see Odom emerge quickly.
    I agree that Tandy isnt a true PG. I also agree Odom will be our guy, eventually, and hopefully sooner than later. But as much as Scruggs wants to play PG and has played some in the past, hes a turn over machine and IMO makes more mental mistakes than anyone else on the team. That cant be our main PG early on

I think Scruggs will start the season at PG and as Odom develops he will give way.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

I know others have said Odom is a true PG but I have some reservation on that ... As long as there is good motion and ball movement as a team I don’t put much stock into a specific position assuming those making the plays are sound decision makers. The mental errors have been exhausting to watch at times.

I want to see a LOT more PNR with Tandy or Scruugs/Freemantle. Free is a legit threat from inside and out which is a nightmare to try and contain with a legit guard/wing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    I know others have said Odom is a true PG but I have some reservation on that ... As long as there is good motion and ball movement as a team I don’t put much stock into a specific position assuming those making the plays are sound decision makers. The mental errors have been exhausting to watch at times.

I want to see a LOT more PNR with Tandy or Scruugs/Freemantle. Free is a legit threat from inside and out which is a nightmare to try and contain with a legit guard/wing.
    1,000% agree with this whole post. Hopefully the scheme will be more organized, clearer and simpler for those players to make the correct decisions.
    I just don't think that as good as Dwon may be, that he can just step in as PG. Scruggy is much better off the ball. KyKy, at least, has some D1 PG game experience. I would hope that there will be O sets developed where the term PG in reality only is referring to which player brings the ball across the mid-court line then becomes basically irrelevant after that.

Besides Lloyd's PNR comment, I really need to see more off-ball screens- especially on the wings, to open guys up for potential back door cuts. That high ball screen offense last year was disgusting to behold- and pulled Tyrique away from the basket too much.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    I get PG can be a fluid term or position but it is a little concerning to me we apparently have a team with no "true" PG on it.

I have some concerns at the PG spot in general. You either have a frosh running it or two guys who seem better off the ball who had some major turnover problems last year.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17