Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Everybody wants to play point guard.

Does anyone want to score points anymore?
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

It looked like Ewing was turning that program around and then the past season and a half has been awful on and off the Court. Wonder what is going on and whether it's the staff or the players?
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

I actually want GTown to fire Ewing ASAP. I mean, they are a sleeping Giant. This was an elite program 25 years ago. They had a Loooooonnnnnngggg run near the top of college basketball.

They got rid of JT3.....and then hired someone who played to JT. They need to break away form the Thompson lineage and grab a headline.

I know it wouldn't happen but Mark Few would be a god at Georgetown. That's about as international of a city that there is in the US, and he could build a team of the kind of recruits he likes and get that program back to prominence immediately.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    I actually want GTown to fire Ewing ASAP. I mean, they are a sleeping Giant. This was an elite program 25 years ago. They had a Loooooonnnnnngggg run near the top of college basketball.

They got rid of JT3.....and then hired someone who played to JT. They need to break away form the Thompson lineage and grab a headline.

I know it wouldn't happen but Mark Few would be a god at Georgetown. That's about as international of a city that there is in the US, and he could build a team of the kind of recruits he likes and get that program back to prominence immediately.
    Might as well suggest coach K, Jay Wright, Tony Bennett.
    Last edited by D-West & PO-Z; 05-15-2020 at 09:30 AM.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Might as well suggest coach K, Jay Wright, Tony Bennett as well.
    Or maybe Archie Miller after Brad Stevens walks away from the Celtics to ascend to the throne at IU.

Walk-On
    Zero interest in a guy who shot 32 and 29% from 3 the last two years and 39% from field each of last two years. His lifetime Assist/turnover ratio is less than 1:1. When you shoot that many times, you will score points. He did have one hell of a high school you tube reel

Personally, I am rooting for Ewing to turn things around. I got to meet him and his daughter one day and I found them both quite likable. I get that everyone at Georgetown was hoping he’d have won more games by now, but he has shown signs of progress (unlike Mullen had done at SJ).

Plus, you would think the AD is keeping in mind Georgetown never would have been “Georgetown” without Ewing. He is going to want to make sure Patrick feels he has been given ample time to right the ship, before making a decision to move on to someone new. The last thing you want as an AD is to be in a situation where you are left trying to sell high level coaching candidates on the appeal of bringing back a mediocre Georgetown program to its former greatness, right after you’ve just fired the guy who everyone clearly knows was the biggest reason the program actually became great.
    Last edited by IM4X; 05-19-2020 at 01:12 AM.

Supporting Member
    I too am rooting for Ewing.

I thought, going into last season, that the Hoyas might be the most improved team in the B.E. Got that one way wrong. Getting rid of Akinjo and the other bad apples hurt in the short run but was clearly the only avenue for the school.

Ewing was well prepared for this assignment---he served a long apprenticeship in the NBA (unlike Mullins at SJU). And, you are spot on that his history makes him the perfect "face of the program". He has handled himself with class, recruited well (even considering Akinjo et al) and he also hired Louie Orr, a veteran and just the type of assistant coach many on this board suggested Steele needed last year. So, I like the job he has done but it hasn't translated into the solid winning record the school desires. If you have noticed watching them on television, he did bring the fans back. which had dwindled under John Thompson Jr.

I, like Muskie, am mystified by the latest developments. McClung is one helluva an athlete but he is quoted as saying something along the lines of "there were a variety of events that have occurred which leave me no choice but to leave". What do you suppose were those events?

I'm still in Ewing's camp and if Steele deserves more time, given what Ewing did for that program, he should have a very long rope. He's a good man and I hope he succeeds---just not against X.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Ewing is my favorite NBA player ever. I hope he he does great at Georgetown. Like JJF said he paid his dues for a long time in the NBA as an assistant. I always thought the Knicks should have given him a shot. He was no Mullin at SJU.

He has recruited well but not sure what is going on with the transfers? Hoping he gets it figured out there and it all comes together for him. For one because I like Ewing so much and also Georgetown being good again would be great for the Big East.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

To sum it up- we’re hoping Ewing starts finding more success at Georgetown- just not in games against X.

Yeah, that sounds about right.