Freshman

How is XU handling all of this?

Minnesota, Wisconsin among colleges thrown for losses in sports budget crunch

There's a $4 million deficit in the Minnesota athletic department's forecast for the fiscal year ending June 30, and athletic director Mark Coyle said Friday "no doubt, everything is on the table" for cost-savings consideration. High earners there already have agreed to pay cuts and hiring and spending freezes have been enacted, but future measures such as travel reduction could also lead to the elimination of sports programs.

The cancellation of the NCAA men's basketball tournament cost schools a collective $375 million. Minnesota's athletic department is bracing for a $75 million loss of expected revenue in the worst-case scenario of no fall sports and thus no televised football games. Games played without fans admitted projects to a $30 million drop in revenue. The best-case scenario of campus reopening in the fall and sports played as scheduled would bring an estimated $10 million hit. Those figures don't account for reduced expenses in travel and other areas due to the pandemic.

"We're not alone in this situation," deputy athletic director and chief financial officer Rhonda McFarland told the board. "There are only a handful of athletic departments that could manage a $30 million loss and likely very few that would survive $75 million reduction in revenue. That is the nature of the national landscape at this time."

Junior
    Considering they get $56 million in tv money, no football would be bad for them. But if no football do they still carry the players ? As long as bball goes off as scheduled, X should fare pretty well. X makes a lot of money off donations, seat licenses, luxury box leases, etc. Not sure if they are finally at the point where they get full shares of tv money from BE, but I would think so. I don't have season tickets, but I fully plan on 2 or 3 trips to Cintas, and I expect it to be rockin' as fans cheer on the "new look Musketeers" on their journey back to the Dance.

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    As a season ticketholder and donor who has already renewed for next season, I received an e-mail from Athletics saying that should the season be disrupted, there will be refund and/or credit given. I know from communications to faculty and staff that the University is making a number of contingency plans. They are looking to cut budgets as a precaution, and those cuts are likely to be applied to all parts of the University. More specifics should be out next month before the next fiscal year begins on July 1.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by X-man View Post
    As a season ticketholder and donor who has already renewed for next season, I received an e-mail from Athletics saying that should the season be disrupted, there will be refund and/or credit given.
    X-Man, did the email indicate specifically that both ticket money and seat license money would be refunded? The email I received in response to an inquiry was very vague, and lamely stated, "We'll do the same thing we did for spring sports" which isn't much help. I have not renewed and probably will not until the University is able to provide clarity on its refund policy.

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Quote Originally Posted by xeus View Post
    X-Man, did the email indicate specifically that both ticket money and seat license money would be refunded? The email I received in response to an inquiry was very vague, and lamely stated, "We'll do the same thing we did for spring sports" which isn't much help. I have not renewed and probably will not until the University is able to provide clarity on its refund policy.
    It did not. I am assuming that both the ticket and contribution will be part of any adjustment, but I don't know that for certain.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by xeus View Post
    Here is the email I received:

We recognize that these are unprecedented times across the country, and large gatherings like sporting events and concerts have been temporarily halted. While we prepare for the upcoming Xavier men’s basketball season this fall, there is still much uncertainty around such events. Should restrictions still exist that would result in anything from fewer games to a cancelled season, rest assured that Xavier will have credit and refund options available for season ticket holders. More information will be coming in the future as things become more clear. We look forward to seeing you in Cintas Center again soon.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook