Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Back to the press conference ... I find that the Big East had an insurance policy interesting. It was a bit surreal at the time sitting in MSG and hearing various conference tourneys were being cancelled and yet we played on. I did not attend the next day's first half game between Creighton and St. John's when the plug on the tourney was finally pulled. I'm not mad at all, I'm a grown-up and I decided it was safe enough for me at the time to attend ... but it does make me wonder if the delay in cancelling the tournament had anything to do with the terms of the insurance policy.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    Yeah if fall sports are cancelled I can’t see winter sports being a go. I mean if they cancel fall sports and classes, what makes anyone believe their thought process will change to have on campus classes and play winter sports? It’s not like a vaccine will be available and even if one is, it won’t be full proof like most other so called vaccines. This thing, like most viruses, is here to stay, Best to accept it and move on.

It’s all dumb to cancel anything at this point. How about you open back up the states and see how things go before making rash decisions? I mean what happens if you cancel now and this thing kind of disappears in mid summer or continues to not be a real threat to the large majority of the population? Hell you keep going at this rate, a lot of colleges will have to fold up shop with the revenue beating that many are already feeling.
    It would have to get to a point before the start of the spring semester where colleges and universities were sure that students could return and large gatherings could take place without any risk. Whether or not there is a vaccine, or testing, or whatever, they need to be convinced that there is not a risk. That probably will not happen before the start of the fall, but it may happen during the fall and before the spring.

As far as it being "dumb to cancel anything at this point," maybe so. But, the issue that universities are facing is whether or not it's smart to buy a non-refundable ticket (so to speak) when you're already strapped for cash. They need to plan out their budgets for the entire campus for the fall semester. They don't want to allot money to athletics if they aren't sure athletics will even be allowed to happen. Because, what if it doesn't happen? They're already out the money from TV and the gate. If they don't suspend/cancel athletics, then they could be out even more than that if they pay their coaches and administrators, but then have to cancel the games anyway. So, they don't really have the "Let's wait and see" option that a lot of pro leagues have.

I really don't think football happens this Fall. Some schools from the lower divisions have already looked at cancelling fall sports. The Cal State schools have said they won't be on campus, and that includes three FBS programs (San Diego State, San Jose State, and Fresno State). The UC schools, which include Cal and UCLA, probably aren't that far behind, and it looks like USC is in the process of at least altering their schedule, and perhaps cancelling it altogether. Those may be the first dominoes to fall. Some schools are starting to look at putting together regional schedules, and that may work and allow some schools to at least play a schedule, but it won't be your typical season if there is a season at all. If there is no championship, and you don't have anyone else to play, then is it worth the investment of money and resources? Most university presidents, even P5 presidents, would say no.

We might not have college sports at all this year. We could. I hope we do. But, we may not. It's not an impossibility. It's actually far more possible than what most people seem to realize. I'm not saying that I like it, or that I think it's a good idea, or that it's at all necessary to cancel college sports. I'm merely saying that it could happen. Those that are saying that there's no way it happens need to realize that...well...YES IT COULD!!
    Last edited by xubrew; 05-14-2020 at 08:21 AM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    I've been ill before and I've been unemployed before. Being unemployed was way more scary and way more miserable. Someone needs to stop these people, mostly politicians, from preemptively cancelling recovery efforts until 2021.
    I agree.

If given the choice between catching the virus and having everything going back to normal for me if/when I got over it, or not catching it and losing my job and the normalcy of my life, I'd choose Option A all day long.

It is very possible that I will lose my job. I may be furloughed or laid off entirely. I haven't yet, but I know that it could happen. I'm trying to remain positive. I could easily go for a year without working, and I've always thought about how nice it would be to take a year off and go live in Europe for a while. An unpaid sabbatical, so to speak. Well, that could happen due to being somewhat forced into it. I've actually started to look into it and am thinking that it may actually end up being the most practical option. It's kind of sad considering the reality that's surrounding it. I'm normally a happy person, but this does have me rather distressed. I know I'm not alone in that. If we get through this, and if I'm able to go back to the normalcy that up until now was my life, then I'll be happy even if I have to take some time away from it. But, like everyone else, I don't know what's going to happen and don't know if the life I've come to love living will still be the same after this.

Sorry for ranting. Rant over.

Brew, I'm sure hoping that you do not lose your job.

Europe might be off limits to Americans for a while, so make sure you check before making any decisions.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    I agree.

If given the choice between catching the virus and having everything going back to normal for me if/when I got over it, or not catching it and losing my job and the normalcy of my life, I'd choose Option A all day long.

It is very possible that I will lose my job. I may be furloughed or laid off entirely. I haven't yet, but I know that it could happen. I'm trying to remain positive. I could easily go for a year without working, and I've always thought about how nice it would be to take a year off and go live in Europe for a while. An unpaid sabbatical, so to speak. Well, that could happen due to being somewhat forced into it. I've actually started to look into it and am thinking that it may actually end up being the most practical option. It's kind of sad considering the reality that's surrounding it. I'm normally a happy person, but this does have me rather distressed. I know I'm not alone in that. If we get through this, and if I'm able to go back to the normalcy that up until now was my life, then I'll be happy even if I have to take some time away from it. But, like everyone else, I don't know what's going to happen and don't know if the life I've come to love living will still be the same after this.

Sorry for ranting. Rant over.
    I'm not an HR person, but, to the extent "you receive the dreaded call or email", then I assume that the furloughed scenario would involve compensation cut to zero (I don't hope for that; I simply presume that is the result of this option), but that all existing benefits would be maintained, meaning primarily that you keep your medical coverage in place, assuming that is an attractive plan for you.

If you are at a place in your life where you are able to fulfill a dream like that - living in Europe for a year - then do it. You'll come back and be valuable to some organization, or you'll get over there, have some form of revelation or experience, and come back a raging entrepreneur! Either way, your life will be enriched.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Brew, I'm sure hoping that you do not lose your job.

Europe might be off limits to Americans for a while, so make sure you check before making any decisions.
    Thanks. I'm not the only one who is faced with this. Not that I want it to happen, but if it does then I'm convinced I'll be fine in the long run.

As far as Europe goes, as it stands now you can get there, but you can't get back. I'm guessing (and I could be wrong) that at some point this summer we are essentially going to be 75-80 percent operational again. Hopefully that includes international travel, but maybe not If not, then obviously making plans to go abroad may not be an option after all.

Hopefully it doesn't come to that. I mean, it's still possible that we are completely open by the end of the summer, travel restrictions are lifted, large gatherings are allowed, and most who are out of work now will be able to return to work. I mean, that could all happen too.
    Last edited by xubrew; 05-13-2020 at 02:17 PM.