Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    The penalties levied should fit the crime.

The university, its BOT and anyone associated with the program KNEW Pitino and his cronies were no good. They kept the guy in place AFTER they knew about the prostitute for hire scandal. How does that even happen?

I give them absolutely no consideration for letting people go. They had no choice but to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Yeah, just about. Louisville has 90 days to respond, the NCAA then has 60 days to respond to the response, and then if Louisville appeals it could be another 150 days.

I have no love for Louisville, but I'm actually sort of pulling for them a little bit. In their response they need to try and saddle as much of it as possible with the individuals who are listed in the NOI since all were fired and none of them are actually there anymore. And, since they are the ones that actually did it, it kind of seems as justified as it does practical, to try and saddle them with it. The best thing that they have going for them is that they fired everybody. Even the university president is different now. That probably won't get them all the way through the storm, but it's no small thing.
    The institution should be held accountable and accept the consequences of failing to do what it is required to do, namely oversee the program. Forget that it was a Coach that did the deed. Or a player that did something. Or anyone else. The institutions job is to ensure that stuff doesn't happen. They failed and there are consequences. Firing a few people in no way is a punishment for the institution. Its a punishment on some people, that was administered by the institution. They need to take their lumps.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    But it's the "Institution" that has profited from the malfeasance. Not necessarily individuals, although the malfeasance brought in more dirty money that the Institution could pay the former and new people. It's the Institution that has to be made to pay, because it profited at the expense of others who didn't cheat. IMO
    The institution may have benefited, but the individuals involved absolutely benefited as well. They wouldn't have done it otherwise. That's not even a question.

The NCAA has started to target individuals more than the institutions. That doesn't mean they don't punish the institutions, but you're seeing more show causes and suspensions and coaches/individuals being held accountable than you did up to about ten years ago. You can't just go somewhere, break a ton of rules, leave, and then let the institution suffer all the consequences while you get off scott free like Kelvin Sampson did multiple times.

Louisville is going to get hit, particularly for the failure to monitor. But if they do this right it may not end up being a deathblow like it initially looked like it was going to be. The fact that there is only one Level 1 violation, and it specifically mentions the individual coaches, is a sign that they may not end up getting completely nuked if they do this right.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Louisville is going to get hit, particularly for the failure to monitor. But if they do this right it may not end up being a deathblow like it initially looked like it was going to be. The fact that there is only one Level 1 violation, and it specifically mentions the individual coaches, is a sign that they may not end up getting completely nuked if they do this right.
    I kind of think "if they do this right" is kind of an editorial. We might not all agree with what is "right" here....

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    I kind of think "if they do this right" is kind of an editorial. We might not all agree with what is "right" here....
    I'll rephrase.

If they approach it a certain way, then I don't think they'll suffer nearly as big of a deathblow as I thought before the NOI. There was only one level 1 violation, and the NOI specifically mentioned the coaches. That's not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

The “people” behind this whole thing are not all gone....because the “people” also includes the boosters, fans, and community that have allowed this universities athletic department to get away with almost anything they wanted to for so long. The only way I see this not all happening again is to put into the mind of the UL community that winning at all cost is NOT going to be tolerated or accepted. The “money” behind the scenes has put so much pressure on the university to excel at athletics that they will let anything go as long as they keep winning. The pieces on the chessboard may change, but what really needs to change is the rules that they are allowed to play under by the puppet masters. The NCAA needs to hammer them....but they won’t.

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    The institution should be held accountable and accept the consequences of failing to do what it is required to do, namely oversee the program. Forget that it was a Coach that did the deed. Or a player that did something. Or anyone else. The institutions job is to ensure that stuff doesn't happen. They failed and there are consequences. Firing a few people in no way is a punishment for the institution. Its a punishment on some people, that was administered by the institution. They need to take their lumps.
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    The “people” behind this whole thing are not all gone....because the “people” also includes the boosters, fans, and community that have allowed this universities athletic department to get away with almost anything they wanted to for so long. The only way I see this not all happening again is to put into the mind of the UL community that winning at all cost is NOT going to be tolerated or accepted. The “money” behind the scenes has put so much pressure on the university to excel at athletics that they will let anything go as long as they keep winning. The pieces on the chessboard may change, but what really needs to change is the rules that they are allowed to play under by the puppet masters. The NCAA needs to hammer them....but they won’t.
    Both of these. Hammer the Institution. Period.
    (But I have my doubts)
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Although I agree louisville should pay for what they did, no matter if the people (jurich, ramsey, pitino, hell even petrino) are gone, the stuff you wrote above in my opinion is complete nonsense. Please explain what the community and the fans did to allow the university to operate the way they did under Ramsay and jurich and are in your estimation still doing or not doing to perpetuate bad behavior?

Pitino, petrino, jurich and Ramsay are frankly all just really bad people...they have been replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Both of these. Hammer the Institution. Period.
    (But I have my doubts)
    Hammer the institution PERIOD? You don't think anything should happen to Pitino, or Jurich, or the other coaches?

I don't mind if Louisville gets hammered. I kind of do mind if no one else does. How is that an incentive for individual dickheads to not break any rules if they can sidestep all responsibility by just leaving and going somewhere else?

Pitino shouldn't be able to coach at Iona next year without a show cause. If Louisville gets a postseason ban, then Iona gets one as well so long as Pitino remains their coach. He shouldn't be coaching anywhere. Louisville getting hammered really doesn't accomplish much if the guys who actually did it don't have anything happen to them.

Is this the shoe company money deal?

Last year if a shoe company supplied a school with shoes, and gave a player money to go to that school, then it was bad.

This year a player can come to school and get his own endorsement/money with the shoe company, car dealership, Skyline?
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.