Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

NCAA moves closer to allowing athletes to serve as Paid Sponsors.

If adopted, the rules would allow athletes to make sponsorship and endorsement deals with all kinds of companies and third parties, from car dealerships to concert promoters to pizza shops, according to a person who has reviewed the recommendations. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Thursday because the details were still being discussed and debated.

The NCAA would create a mechanism to evaluate potential deals for fair market value and spot possible corruption. An athlete could compromise their eligibility for failing to disclose details of a financial agreement or relationship, the person said.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    If adopted, the rules would allow athletes to make sponsorship and endorsement deals with all kinds of companies and third parties, from car dealerships to concert promoters to pizza shops, according to a person who has reviewed the recommendations. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Thursday because the details were still being discussed and debated.

The NCAA would create a mechanism to evaluate potential deals for fair market value and spot possible corruption. An athlete could compromise their eligibility for failing to disclose details of a financial agreement or relationship, the person said.
    All it takes is the NBA getting the best kids to take $500k to skip college and the NCAA has a change of heart

Hi! This is Skykyline Tandy.

Join me at the Chili parlor for a 3 way !

I'll be there on Sunday with Colby Cheese Jones...signing autographs from 3 till 5.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Hi! This is Skykyline Tandy.

Join me at the Chili parlor for a 3 way !

I'll be there on Sunday with Colby Cheese Jones...signing autographs from 3 till 5.
    The man is keeping me down so public reps!!!
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

Quote Originally Posted by 94GRAD View Post
    The man is keeping me down so public reps!!!
    The magic but secret formula allowed me reps from both of us!

Last edited by xu82; 04-27-2020 at 07:29 PM.

All NCAA member institutions better plan to triple their Athletics compliance departments.

Quote Originally Posted by xeus View Post
    All NCAA member institutions better plan to triple their Athletics compliance departments.
    You angling for a job?
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by xeus View Post
    I'd imagine the NCAA will have a pretty loose leash on this as every PR battle over player compensation is pretty much a net loss for them as this point. They will likely just ensure that NCAA Images (logos, school jerseys etc.) aren't being used in the endorsements.

Maybe all NIL discussion will end up here.

I only see ONE positive about this whole situation, and it's not a strong one. Players can finally get a piece of the enormous financial pie generated by NCAA BBall. Problem is a very small % will benefit. It is not now or ever will be fair, as presently constructed.

On the other hand, IMO, the negatives are numerous and we're just getting started. This will turn off certain portions of any fanbase...probably to the point of actually losing some fans. Also, in what reality does a select few players get paid, large amounts in some cases, and it not effect the traditional team concept? There will be locker room issues. What about the team that has only 1 "golden boy" getting paid? No chance of that creating any friction, right? Obviously there are going to be some usual "dirty dealings".....won't this simply morph into some form of free agency? NIL, coupled with the immediate transfer situation is a recipe for volatility.

Look, I have zero issue with a student athlete getting paid for some sort of service. It's the same as getting, say, a fast food job, only for a lot more money in most cases. Now, if kids start getting straight cash payments, things could go south quick.

The only way I see this working out in the long run, is if most Universities DO NOT ALLOW their NIL to be partnered with player deals. Early indications are that this is not the case, but the bottom line is if fan support/revenue is negatively effected, schools will be forced to make necessary adjustments.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 04-25-2022 at 07:55 AM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

If Xavier is successful and keeps winning and making the tournament, then I will not care about anything to do with NIL. If Xavier is not successful and fails to make the tournament in most years, then the NIL deal is clearly at fault and it is completely wrong.

It is that simple. LOL
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!