Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    I think what some are missing here is that the NCAA had no choice here. The lawsuits were coming full force, they had to let NIL happen. So I am not sure they would even be legally allowed to restrict a certain amount of money to certain teams, etc. It also isn't the teams paying the money. Yes, the teams who will do this the best will facilitate their players getting NIL deals, but the money isn't coming from the school. I don't think they would be allowed to restrict how much an individual player could earn.

The fractured locker room is a silly argument to me.
    THANK YOU!!!!

People seem to think the NCAA is above the law. They're not. They have to follow the law. As states began to pass laws allowing NILs for student-athletes, and as the Supreme Court ruled unanimously on the Alston Case, the NCAA can't just say "Nope! Not gonna do that!"

To suggest that the NCAA shouldn't have made these changes, as many on here are doing, is hilariously stupid. It shows a stunning amount of ignorance, or a stunning contempt of the law, or both. I do admit that it is an interesting suggestion. Just ignore the courts! Just put themselves in a position of being in constant civil contempt of court! As interesting as that suggestion is, I could see that NOT being good for college sports.

This was almost undoubtedly going to happen sooner or later. Anyone with even an elementary understanding of anti-trust law and civil rights understood that. A person has a right to their own NIL, and price fixing is illegal. I do think there were things the NCAA could have done (and perhaps should have done) to keep this from crashing down as much as it did and as suddenly as it did...but then again...maybe not. And every time it was suggested that they make more available for the players in order to maybe prevent this issue from being forced, people balked. Now those people that balked all are up in arms that this is happening. Well...it was that same balking that led to this happening as fast as it did and to the degree that it did. But..in the vast big picture, maybe it didn't matter. It may not have happened quite as fast, but it was going to eventually happen. What the NCAA was doing was illegal. Once the Supreme Court explained that to them, and once the states started passing NIL laws, the NCAA had no choice. If it were up to them, they wouldn't have done any of this. But...it wasn't.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    THANK YOU!!!!

People seem to think the NCAA is above the law. They're not. They have to follow the law. As states began to pass laws allowing NILs for student-athletes, and as the Supreme Court ruled unanimously on the Alston Case, the NCAA can't just say "Nope! Not gonna do that!"

To suggest that the NCAA shouldn't have made these changes, as many on here are doing, is hilariously stupid. It shows a stunning amount of ignorance, or a stunning contempt of the law, or both. I do admit that it is an interesting suggestion. Just ignore the courts! Just put themselves in a position of being in constant civil contempt of court! As interesting as that suggestion is, I could see that NOT being good for college sports.

This was almost undoubtedly going to happen sooner or later. Anyone with even an elementary understanding of anti-trust law and civil rights understood that. A person has a right to their own NIL, and price fixing is illegal. I do think there were things the NCAA could have done (and perhaps should have done) to keep this from crashing down as much as it did and as suddenly as it did...but then again...maybe not. And every time it was suggested that they make more available for the players in order to maybe prevent this issue from being forced, people balked. Now those people that balked all are up in arms that this is happening. Well...it was that same balking that led to this happening as fast as it did and to the degree that it did. But..in the vast big picture, maybe it didn't matter. It may not have happened quite as fast, but it was going to eventually happen. What the NCAA was doing was illegal. Once the Supreme Court explained that to them, and once the states started passing NIL laws, the NCAA had no choice. If it were up to them, they wouldn't have done any of this. But...it wasn't.
    To fully explain myself...

The real reason I find this comical isn't really because of anyone here, but because of the dimwittedness that exists within the NCAA. "Well, can't we just ignore the law??!!" Umm....no. You can't.

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    THANK YOU!!!!

Ohio high schools, by a majority vote, recently rejected a proposal to allow NIL opportunities for their student athletes. They argued that amateur classification would be voided should NIL payments be allowed. I’m assuming this will be challenged in court at some point. Does amateurism as defined not exist? Was it simply a fabrication that could not (ultimately) withstand scrutiny?

Quote Originally Posted by Final4 View Post
    Ohio high schools, by a majority vote, recently rejected a proposal to allow NIL opportunities for their student athletes. They argued that amateur classification would be voided should NIL payments be allowed. I’m assuming this will be challenged in court at some point. Does amateurism as defined not exist? Was it simply a fabrication that could not (ultimately) withstand scrutiny?
    I would imagine it would be challenged in court at some point. I don't know for sure what the outcome of that will be. High school athletes are not adults. Maybe that matters and maybe that doesn't. I don't know.

In regards to the NCAA, two things happened at pretty much the exact same time.

-The Supreme Court ruled 9-0 in the Alston Case and said the NCAA was in violation of anti-trust laws and that schools could not be prevented from directly paying players. Now, the NCAA has not officially changed this rule yet, but they've also done absolutely nothing to enforce this rule since the ruling, and I don't think they ever will, and if they're smart (which is assuming a lot) they'll never try.

-One by one, states started to pass laws pertaining to NIL. The NCAA was not in a position to ignore them. So, they didn't. They just said NIL is in play.

And...that's where we are. I don't know how this is going to play out, but I'm guessing amateurism rules will completely go away, and even if they don't there will never be an attempt to enforce them again.