Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JEHARDI View Post
    Fans are not part of the requirement .
    Yikes
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    There are 353 div1 schools. 97 of those are like Xavier and don't even play football, and of the 256 that do, about 180-190 of them make more money off of basketball than they do off of football. Outside of the FBS, and even in some cases within the FBS, football is not the big moneymaker. They rely much more on the basketball tournament revenue than the football revenue.

Okay, just think about what you just said and see if you can figure out why it makes no sense. I've been laughing at it since I read it. Saying you have beachfront property in Nebraska is an obvious scam because it offers something that people would want, but that clearly does not exist. Saying you have swamp land in Florida is offering something that no one wants, but that in actuality exists in abundance and that really isn't that hard to acquire.

I have no doubt that the SEC wants to play and will make every effort to play. All ten FBS commissioners talk several times a week. They all want to try to go ahead with the season, which is good. But, it's also true that they've discussed postponing and even cancelling. None of them have ruled it out as a possibility. And, it ultimately may not even be up to them. If there is another spike after the states start to open up again and shelter in place orders are renewed, then it's out of their hands.

I think by July 1st, one way or another, we will have a much better idea of what things will look like. We can look at places like Sweden and see where they are. We can look at states that have opened back up and see where they are. We can see if there is an adequate amount of testing by then or not. But, I seriously doubt that university presidents will want to devout money and resources toward athletic operations unless they are certain that the games can actually be played. It's bad being out TV and attendance revenue. It's worse being out the operational revenue on top of that, especially when they're having to make cuts, furloughs, and layoffs right now across campus as it is. If no cuts are made to athletics, and the games don't happen, good luck on maintaining any support from the faculty and staff if you're a university president.
    You clearly are not a student of Florida history.
    X A V I E R

The Cal State system has announced they will be online for the fall semester. This includes about half of the Big West along with Fresno State, San Jose State, and San Diego State. I assume this means they won’t be playing sports in the fall.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

It’s starting to be rumored on Twitter that USC has reached out to Alabama and told them that they aren’t going to play in the season opener.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ColinCowh...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

It looks like the Ivy is moving football to the spring. They were also the first ones to cancel their basketball conference tournaments.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamzag.../#4a08367b6037

Ivy League has canceled all sports until January 1

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Ivy League has canceled all sports until January 1
    Let’s see, they’re the smart ones, right?

I’m not seeing an NFL season this year. I hope I’m wrong. We wanted to head up the the NC mountains for a little trip, but passed due to mandatory mask policies. Today it comes out our Mayor is instituting a similar policy. How do you start training camp and pull off a season in this environment? Do the Bills go into quarantine after playing the Dolphins on the road? What happens when your OLine meeting room is devastated by infections? So many questions, so few answers.

Rumors are that the Big Ten is meeting tomorrow to discuss a 10 game conference only schedule. Not sure what the point of that is. I don’t think you’re any more or less likely to become infected playing OOC games.