Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    I'll be interested to see how things look next month if they release enrollment figures
    I can tell you with near certainty that Harvard will keep its enrollment numbers. It helps, of course, because virtually no one pays anything close to their listed tuition. That's true at most universities, including Xavier, but Harvard does more of it than most.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

MEAC has cancelled fall sports.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Big East is now only doing conference games for the fall.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by noteggs View Post
    Big East is now only doing conference games for the fall.
    Hmmm, could this mean no Shoot Out come bball season ?

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    That was for fall sports, not the fall semester.

It might ultimately happen for basketball too, but that hasn't been announced yet.

Quote Originally Posted by XU '11 View Post
    That was for fall sports, not the fall semester.

It might ultimately happen for basketball too, but that hasn't been announced yet.
    Correct. Thanks for adding “sports” as I did not. Sorry to scare anyone. Heard DePaul has decided not to play golf and some other sport I can’t remember

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post

It could be the first step toward the announcement that there is no bball season. That is my guess at this point, sadly.

Rumors are that the Colonial will announce tomorrow that they will not play football this fall
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

The Coming College-Sports Apocalypse

Brutal economic realities are about to catch up to big-time NCAA programs.Last week, Stanford announced that the coming season — if there is a season — will be the last for eleven of the school’s sports teams: men’s and women’s fencing, field hockey, lightweight rowing, men’s rowing, co-ed and women’s sailing, squash, synchronized swimming, men’s volleyball, and wrestling.

Those concerns have become more pressing as a result of the coronavirus pandemic, and a day of reckoning may now be coming for college sports. If Stanford, with the fourth-largest endowment in the country, cannot sustain its less-prominent sports programs, how many other colleges will end up making similar cuts? How many students will lose their athletic scholarships in the process? If, as seems likely, the answer to both questions is “many,” the NCAA landscape will soon look dramatically different, with fewer sports, fewer teams, fewer scholarships, and fewer student-athletes.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Junior
    I'm not optimistic for a basketball season. Things are getting worse, not better, with no end in sight.