Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    I simply don't get the Ivy League decision. Plenty of contactless sports (track, tennis, golf, cross country) that can be played in the Fall safely. There is no way they play Spring football either. Not after the winter and cold/flu season.
    "Xavier born and Xavier bred, and when I am gone I will be Xavier Dead!"
    NJ!NP! 8/30/12

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamont Sanford View Post
    I simply don't get the Ivy League decision. Plenty of contactless sports (track, tennis, golf, cross country) that can be played in the Fall safely. There is no way they play Spring football either. Not after the winter and cold/flu season.
    I'm not sure of their athletic financials, and maybe this is off base because they dont have the television deals that high major d 1 schools do, but maybe since they were not going to be able to play football or basketball, they cancelled everything that was a non revenue generating sport as well.

I really dont know how college football is going to happen this year. I dont see it happening, and if that doesnt happen, I dont see how most schools are going to have any athletics this school year. For a lot of schools, that is 1 of 2 or maybe 3 that actually produce money, the other sports at best break even and most lose money overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    I'm not sure of their athletic financials, and maybe this is off base because they dont have the television deals that high major d 1 schools do, but maybe since they were not going to be able to play football or basketball, they cancelled everything that was a non revenue generating sport as well.

I really dont know how college football is going to happen this year. I dont see it happening, and if that doesnt happen, I dont see how most schools are going to have any athletics this school year. For a lot of schools, that is 1 of 2 or maybe 3 that actually produce money, the other sports at best break even and most lose money overall.
    Basketball makes more money than football for the Ivy League schools. I think it's more or less a matter of them not wanting to tell some sports they can play and other sports that they cannot.

There is a good chance the Patriot League will make the same decision.

This is running pretty rampant through the schools that brought players back for voluntary workouts. It's more than what's been reported in the press. If it's this bad now, then one can reason that it will be even worse when they start to actually travel and play against other teams. Then again, one can reason that it won't be as bad. If everyone gets it now, then they may be recovered and immune from it later. Who knows?

I'm just guessing, but I think that if colleges reopen then by the end of September this will be at a level that it has not been at before. You can social distance in classrooms, and in residence halls, and in dining halls, but any social distancing rules that any college tries to put in place will be followed by the students in about the same way that the no alcohol rules are followed. Those first few weekends when they're crammed into crowded house parties, and yelling over loud music, and drinking/sharing plastic cups, and grinding on each other, and slobbering all over the place because...well...drunk people slobber a lot, this is going to explode. I think any college that wants to reopen has to anticipate that 1/3rd of their students will become infected. Now, if the trends are correct, then more than 90 percent of them will recover without having to go to the hospital, so one could argue that schools should still try and stay open, but this is going to spread in a big way. You can't have college sports without the college. Maybe shutting down college sports for at least the fall, but keeping the schools open, is the best way to go.
    Last edited by xubrew; 07-09-2020 at 08:49 AM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

I keep flip-flopping.

My thoughts have gone from "It'll be over by the Spring" to "College football may not happen" to "Hey, it looks like it'll subside by the Fall and college football will happen!" to "No way college football happens" to "It looks like they're going to try and play and will probably succeed! We will have football" to "It once again looks like there won't be any football."

I don't think there will be college sports this fall. That's what I think....today. Tomorrow, I may think that they will happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    I keep flip-flopping.

My thoughts have gone from "It'll be over by the Spring" to "College football may not happen" to "Hey, it looks like it'll subside by the Fall and college football will happen!" to "No way college football happens" to "It looks like they're going to try and play and will probably succeed! We will have football" to "It once again looks like there won't be any football."

I don't think there will be college sports this fall. That's what I think....today. Tomorrow, I may think that they will happen again.
    You should apply for a position at the CDC.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    You should apply for a position at the CDC.
    Hmmmm.....I wonder how much they pay their test subjects? I’m qualified to do that!!

Junior
    College sports are so tough. Simple guess but I think I could see Big East go just to conference only schedule. Announce it now so it gives you another 4+months to see how fall goes before straight canceling the year.

Hope I am wrong but I don't see CBB happening either. I do see NFL happening, and NBA.

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    College sports are so tough. Simple guess but I think I could see Big East go just to conference only schedule. Announce it now so it gives you another 4+months to see how fall goes before straight canceling the year.

Hope I am wrong but I don't see CBB happening either. I do see NFL happening, and NBA.
    Why? The season starts in November. It’s 5 months away. We haven’t even been in the pandemic officially for 5 months yet.

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    Why? The season starts in November. It’s 5 months away. We haven’t even been in the pandemic officially for 5 months yet.
    Unfortunately, we do not seem to be trending in the right direction. Quite the opposite. I’m hoping for a vaccine in another 6 months or so, as well as some better treatment protocols. They HAVE learned a lot already, it seems.

I’m very concerned about any fall sports at this point, with or without fans. Just when the Bills stand the best chance of winning the AFCE this century. Figures..........

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    Unfortunately, we do not seem to be trending in the right direction. Quite the opposite. I’m hoping for a vaccine in another 6 months or so, as well as some better treatment protocols. They HAVE learned a lot already, it seems.

I’m very concerned about any fall sports at this point, with or without fans. Just when the Bills stand the best chance of winning the AFCE this century. Figures..........
    It depends on what trending in the right direction means. New York went through what Texas is going through now and it eventually leveled off so probably in the next month we should start trending down everywhere. Probably a good chance if we never shut down that we would be through this already. In addition we are seeing a lot of cases but that was to be expected since a lot more people are getting tested and on top of that the positive rate is higher but the death rate keeps dropping. A lot of positive tests are with people with zero symptoms. With that said I think college football screwed and basketball may be as well because people are flipping out about the higher positives showing up but since we seem to be protecting older more vulnerable people, we are not seeing mass deaths like before. Texas has 230,000 positive cases and 2,900 deaths. Arizona has over 100,000 cases and 2,000 deaths. Ohio has 60,000 cases and 3,000 deaths, most from two months ago because a lot of the deaths were from nursing homes or older people not being protected. So I think we are in much better shape now than we were as far as a health risk goes.