Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    B
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    It depends on what trending in the right direction means.
    So......you LIKE the direction? I mean, you realize deaths are a lagging indicator, right? And a few weeks clinging to life in a hospital is not exactly a WIN if you survive?

As I said, treatment appears to be improving. This is still NOT a good trend. I wear a mask in stores and avoid crowds. Too many people can’t make those minimal efforts. No excuse for that, IMO.

Last edited by xu82; 07-09-2020 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    B

So......you LIKE the direction? I mean, you realize deaths are a lagging indicator, right? And a few weeks clinging to life in a hospital is not exactly a WIN if you survive?

As I said, treatment appears to be improving. This is still NOT a good trend. I wear a mask in stores and avoid crowds. Too many people can’t make those minimal efforts. No excuse for that, IMO.

I guess I am just confused why Texas has so many cases and very few deaths comparatively. I guess it’s the treatment. They have 2,900 deaths from over 200,000 and Corna has been around 5 months. Also I now wear a mask, didn’t before, but confused as to why so many more people are getting it and most people I come in contact with are wearing masks. Had 4 people at work get the virus and all 4 have been so conscious wearing masks since this thing started. Time will tell I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    I guess I am just confused why Texas has so many cases and very few deaths comparatively. I guess it’s the treatment. They have 2,900 deaths from over 200,000 and Corna has been around 5 months. Also I now wear a mask, didn’t before, but confused as to why so many more people are getting it and most people I come in contact with are wearing masks. Had 4 people at work get the virus and all 4 have been so conscious wearing masks since this thing started. Time will tell I guess.
    Your anecdotal evidence is cute. The workers wearing masks didn’t do it to protect themselves (unless they were clueless). They wear the mask to protect YOU and others around you. It was more likely the people around them who couldn’t be bothered to wear a mask who infected them.

Look, I’m not hard core on this. I go out and about, shopping and eating at outdoor/patio restaurants. I wear a mask indoors with others. I wash my hands. I tip servers better than ever. My mask at the grocery store is out of respect for other shoppers and mostly the cashiers. They deserve that.

Care seems to be improving, but if it’s my mother who catches it and she dies because someone was too cavalier about this, that won’t help make me feel any better. She’s in lock down, sacred to death, and I do all her shopping. BUT, it’s not just old people. A friend of a friend just lost a 22 year old daughter after a 3 month battle in the hospital. It’s not just for old people anymore. These are real people, family members and friends. We need to move forward, but wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamont Sanford View Post
    I simply don't get the Ivy League decision. Plenty of contactless sports (track, tennis, golf, cross country) that can be played in the Fall safely. There is no way they play Spring football either. Not after the winter and cold/flu season.
    Ivy League schools had zero downside to cancelling. They can charge full price and enrollment will always be at capacity. Just like everybody else, they were struggling financially due to COVID so what is the upside to them to having sports?

Most other universities either (a) need the tuition, room and board to stay afloat and if they aren't an extremely elite academic school, will lose students if they can't be on campus or (b) need the revenue from football and/or basketball.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XU '11 View Post
    Ivy League schools had zero downside to cancelling. They can charge full price and enrollment will always be at capacity. Just like everybody else, they were struggling financially due to COVID so what is the upside to them to having sports?

Most other universities either (a) need the tuition, room and board to stay afloat and if they aren't an extremely elite academic school, will lose students if they can't be on campus or (b) need the revenue from football and/or basketball.
    In my opinion paying 46k for Harvard online is completely asinine and not worth the money.

The $184k ($46k x 4) is for the name on the sheepskin, not for any knowledge allegedly gained.

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    In my opinion paying 46k for Harvard online is completely asinine and not worth the money.
    Apparently there are more than enough people that disagree with you. Harvard has one of the lowest acceptance rates in the US.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    So let’s say you are going into your 2nd year. Do you sit the year out? Try to find somewhere else to go locally? What are the odds those credits transfer into Harvard? I don’t foresee them as friendly in that regard, so really there are not many practical options for most of these students other than stay the course.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    So let’s say you are going into your 2nd year. Do you sit the year out? Try to find somewhere else to go locally? What are the odds those credits transfer into Harvard? I don’t foresee them as friendly in that regard, so really there are not many practical options for most of these students other than stay the course.
    If sitting out a year is an option, that's what I would suggest. I dont see the value in paying 46k for an online education. The value of harvard (other than the piece of paper) is the actual campus life and networking that comes with it. An online education you can get from the university of Phoenix for a substantially lower cost.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by X-man View Post
    Apparently there are more than enough people that disagree with you. Harvard has one of the lowest acceptance rates in the US.
    I'll be interested to see how things look next month if they release enrollment figures