Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    i guess I just don’t place as much faith in these recruiting “experts” as some of you do. I tend to believe that the coaches know what players they are interested in and feel can be solid players for X. So I’m more inclined to go with their ratings, than I am the ones of any recruiting sites. I figure that if X offers a scholarship, then they must feel they can help. Steele doesn’t appear to be the type of coach that just hands out scholarships just because he can. He’s often said that he isn’t interested in filling all 13 with highly ranked recruits because he knows he can’t keep them all happy with playing time. So I’m not going to worry about anyone’s stars. Like I said in a previous post, I think there is going to be quite a few players that in future years will be seen as under recruited, because of them missing the spring and summer tournaments this year and thus not being seen by as many staffs and recruiting sites. The top kids probably will be able to rely on past years performances. But we know that there are a lot of kids that grow, develop, and change their games from their sophomore to their senior years in HS. I think that many of those kids are going to turn out to be really good college players, but because they weren’t stars as freshman and sophomores, they will be overlooked by many programs.
    You do realize that teams offer scholarships and have like five kids on their list at that position who they prefer? So it’s not as simple as “ well if Steele offers a scholarship he must think they can help.” There is context.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    You do realize that teams offer scholarships and have like five kids on their list at that position who they prefer? So it’s not as simple as “ well if Steele offers a scholarship he must think they can help.” There is context.
    Of course they will have their top choices and will target certain kids over others, but that doesn’t mean that they don’t think the other kids have value too. That’s all I’m saying......that just because a recruiting site ranks one kid as a 2 star, and another as a 3 star, if X has offered both a scholarship then the coaching staff thinks both can help the team. Sure I’d love for X to always get their top targets, but that isn’t going to happen very often. That doesn’t mean their 2nd choice isn’t worth something....even if they are only ranked a 2 star by some recruiting site. Does anyone really think that X bases it’s priorities based on how the recruiting sites rank kids? How often have we seen a kid go from a 2 to a 3, or a 3 to a 4, as soon as someone like Uk or Duke offers the kid a scholarship? VC automatically ranks every kid a 2 star as soon as they take a D2 offer. I seen lots of times where they have a kid ranked lower on that site, then rivals does. It’s not exactly a science, they are just opinions. I just value the opinions of the X coaches over those of any recruiting “experts”.

Of course they will have their top choices and will target certain kids over others, but that doesn’t mean that they don’t think the other kids have value too. That’s all I’m saying......that just because a recruiting site ranks one kid as a 2 star, and another as a 3 star, if X has offered both a scholarship then the coaching staff thinks both can help the team. Sure I’d love for X to always get their top targets, but that isn’t going to happen very often. That doesn’t mean their 2nd choice isn’t worth something....even if they are only ranked a 2 star by some recruiting site. Does anyone really think that X bases it’s priorities based on how the recruiting sites rank kids? How often have we seen a kid go from a 2 to a 3, or a 3 to a 4, as soon as someone like Uk or Duke offers the kid a scholarship? VC automatically ranks every kid a 2 star as soon as they take a D2 offer. I seen lots of times where they have a kid ranked lower on that site, then rivals does. It’s not exactly a science, they are just opinions. I just value the opinions of the X coaches over those of any recruiting “experts”.
    Never have checked out verbal commits. I don’t get their ranking system because they have guys that will be pros listed as 2 stars.

You're thinking about this too rigidly. Often the rankings coincide with what the coaches think. 247 may have one guy at 84 and another guy at 100. Steele may like the 100 ranked guy better but out of thousands of players, those 16 spots mean nothing.

The rankings are fun. The insight on 247 from Snow and Rick does tell who Steele is prioritizing and why. They tell you the skill set of each player and why it may fit in better with X over another guy who is ranked higher. Are they always right? Hell no, no one is. Hell, Mack had recruiting classes in which he missed on everyone.

If you don't like their info, great then don't subscribe. But you can't also say that there isn't information out there.

You're thinking about this too rigidly. Often the rankings coincide with what the coaches think. 247 may have one guy at 84 and another guy at 100. Steele may like the 100 ranked guy better but out of thousands of players, those 16 spots mean nothing.

The rankings are fun. The insight on 247 from Snow and Rick does tell who Steele is prioritizing and why. They tell you the skill set of each player and why it may fit in better with X over another guy who is ranked higher. Are they always right? Hell no, no one is. Hell, Mack had recruiting classes in which he missed on everyone.

If you don't like their info, great then don't subscribe. But you can't also say that there isn't information out there.
    Never said there wasn’t information out there. But I do feel that much of the “information” we read on those sites is actually just speculation, and sometimes actually contradicts each other. Not thinking about it from a rigid point of view at all. I’m saying that just because one site may have a player as a 2-star player, and not a 3 or 4 doesn’t really matter to me. Or how one site lists a player’s interest (cool or warm) shouldn’t be relied on to be totally accurate. I just trust the coaches evaluations more than I do any recruiting “experts”. I still find it fun and interesting to read these sites though. But that’s all it is...just for fun.

Never said there wasn’t information out there. But I do feel that much of the “information” we read on those sites is actually just speculation, and sometimes actually contradicts each other. Not thinking about it from a rigid point of view at all. I’m saying that just because one site may have a player as a 2-star player, and not a 3 or 4 doesn’t really matter to me. Or how one site lists a player’s interest (cool or warm) shouldn’t be relied on to be totally accurate. I just trust the coaches evaluations more than I do any recruiting “experts”. I still find it fun and interesting to read these sites though. But that’s all it is...just for fun.
    I subscribed for a year, but dropped it. Snow and Broering act too much like know-it-alls to me. (I know, Ironic right?). But like 80 says. Lots of their stuff on there is speculation, with always the ending caveat, "things could change". So much of recruiting is fluid anyway and one can drive themselves crazy obsessing over every player that Xavier is linked to. I'd rather spend money subscribing to The Athletic and Shannon Russell than some pay site who is always trying to act like they're cutting edge.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

I think the 247 site has really good info, not just on recruiting but on pre and post game analysis and other things. My only complaint- Snow and Broering just don't like it when you disagree with them.
    Last edited by XU 87; 04-23-2020 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    I think the 247 site has really good info, not just on recruiting but on pre and post game analysis and other things. My only complaint- Snow and Broering just don't like it when you disagree with them.
    Nothing good becomes of telling the King(s) they are wearing no clothes!
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    I totally agree. Snow and Broering didn’t like when I called out the 2018 class as being mediocre and weak. I also think the 247 recruiting player rankings are the best out of the other sites. They are not biased and are pretty accurate with their player rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by xuphan View Post
    I totally agree. Snow and Broering didn’t like when I called out the 2018 class as being mediocre and weak. I also think the 247 recruiting player rankings are the best out of the other sites. They are not biased and are pretty accurate with their player rankings.
    I don't recall that, and think they would have agreed with you, along with everyone else who follows XU hoops.