Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by xuphan View Post
    How many recruits do you see us taking in the 2021 class? What positions as well. It would be nice not to have to take multiple transfer next year. Hoping Steele can load up on the 2021 class.
    I mean you always look at transfers, but just off what I hear Travis say is that guys have to be the right fit. He must have an idea of what he wants for players in his program so he will stick to that. Taking a grad transfer next year or a traditional transfer that won’t have to sit, that will be a senior, makes sense as well, since they won’t have any juniors this coming year.

I think after this coming season, he will have 7 scholarship guys so I am sure he will want to add 3 or 4 guys for the 2021 class. I would imagine he is being selective and won’t add guys just to fill scholarships. We have seen that with the 2018 class. My guess is that he adds some bigger combo guards who can shoot. Seems to be the kind of players he wants on his team. Guys who can do a little bit of everything. I think they will also try to add a bigger stretch 4. 10 or 11 scholarship players is plenty.

Sophomore
    Pierre Brooks to Michigan St as expected

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by XUMIOH12 View Post
    Pierre Brooks to Michigan St as expected
    Dagum! On to the next one I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    I don’t know. They have Zach, Dieonte and Daniel, all bigs. I think the idea is play with more guards and less bigs. Colby can also play a forward spot.
    I was excited about Ramsey when we got him, but I guess I’ve just been wondering about this lingering injury of his and the possibility that it may never quite heal to the point where he can play at the same level. If I am wrong (and I hope that I am) I would feel better hearing from Steele a definitive “Daniel is completely healed and back at 100%, ready to be a big contributor next season.”

I think it is always good to have at least three very capable bigs plus a freshman big who may or may not be ready but would be available if needed. Right now we only have Freemantle and an unproven pair with Miles and Ramsey after next season.

One would think Travis would make it a priority to land at least one talented big in the 2021 class. Like I said, I am not seeing many we are in on. I was hoping someone knew of a a few serious targets in addition to the very few being reported on the usual sites.
    Last edited by IM4X; 04-22-2020 at 04:18 PM.

VC has Xavier CURRENTLY with 10 offers out for 2021 players listed as either Center or Power Forward, that’s after 2 others committed elsewhere this week. That’s more than a few IMO. How serious are they? How interested are the players mentioned? That’s very hard to judge, especially in today’s situation. However, Rivals has a at least a couple of them as having done virtual visits to Xavier. How many have actually virtually or physically visited, how many have attended games, how often do the coaches reach out to these players, what kind of relationships do the players and coaches have? I don’t know anywhere that we can get that information.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    VC has Xavier CURRENTLY with 10 offers out for 2021 players listed as either Center or Power Forward, that’s after 2 others committed elsewhere this week. That’s more than a few IMO. How serious are they? How interested are the players mentioned? That’s very hard to judge, especially in today’s situation. However, Rivals has a at least a couple of them as having done virtual visits to Xavier. How many have actually virtually or physically visited, how many have attended games, how often do the coaches reach out to these players, what kind of relationships do the players and coaches have? I don’t know anywhere that we can get that information.
    247 - Musketeer Report

Yeah, but I’m not real sure just how much credence to give 24/7. They haven’t been real accurate in their predictions regarding X the last couple of years, so I’m not real sure how accurate any information from that site is. Especially under today’s conditions where the writers aren’t getting direct access to many of the players.

On the subject of today’s conditions, I think there are going to be a lot of players that fly under the radar this year and end up being very solid, but under recruited, college players. The loss of many of the evaluation periods, and the real probability of there being little or no summer basketball games, will result in a lot of players not being seen who otherwise may have been targets from some of the big programs.

Yeah, but I’m not real sure just how much credence to give 24/7. They haven’t been real accurate in their predictions regarding X the last couple of years, so I’m not real sure how accurate any information from that site is. Especially under today’s conditions where the writers aren’t getting direct access to many of the players.

On the subject of today’s conditions, I think there are going to be a lot of players that fly under the radar this year and end up being very solid, but under recruited, college players. The loss of many of the evaluation periods, and the real probability of there being little or no summer basketball games, will result in a lot of players not being seen who otherwise may have been targets from some of the big programs.
    No one is more connected to Xavier and Travis Steele, than Brian Snow. He probably keeps a lot close to the vest, but I think he was in Travis wedding. As a recruiting analyst, you don’t get any closer than that. Brian has like 100% crystal ball rating when he predicts Xavier. No other site has more info than those guys I would imagine. There isn’t even a Xavier Rivals page.

Of those 10 prospects listed, only 3 are listed above 2star. Of those three listed at 3 or 4 star, one isn’t showing X as a potential school on his rivals and 24/7 profile page. That leaves two. One of those two has X listed as a school of interest but when discussing relationships he has, he mentions 5 or six schools and coaches, but no X or Steele. The final big of the three is a 3star (which I get he may blow up and be a 4star) who seems like he might be leaning towards UConn.

It is was after looking through sites like VC, Rivals and 24/7 (In addition to seeing a few prospects commit elsewhere) that got me wondering if Travis and his staff were not seriously pursuing bigs or maybe they were but just not finding as many legitimately talented bigs in the 2021 class who wanted to come to X or maybe Travis and his staff are in fact in on a few higher level bigs who actually have X at or near the top of their list and just not many know about it.
    Last edited by IM4X; 04-23-2020 at 11:27 AM.

i guess I just don’t place as much faith in these recruiting “experts” as some of you do. I tend to believe that the coaches know what players they are interested in and feel can be solid players for X. So I’m more inclined to go with their ratings, than I am the ones of any recruiting sites. I figure that if X offers a scholarship, then they must feel they can help. Steele doesn’t appear to be the type of coach that just hands out scholarships just because he can. He’s often said that he isn’t interested in filling all 13 with highly ranked recruits because he knows he can’t keep them all happy with playing time. So I’m not going to worry about anyone’s stars. Like I said in a previous post, I think there is going to be quite a few players that in future years will be seen as under recruited, because of them missing the spring and summer tournaments this year and thus not being seen by as many staffs and recruiting sites. The top kids probably will be able to rely on past years performances. But we know that there are a lot of kids that grow, develop, and change their games from their sophomore to their senior years in HS. I think that many of those kids are going to turn out to be really good college players, but because they weren’t stars as freshman and sophomores, they will be overlooked by many programs.