Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by xuphan View Post
    Nobody is arguing that there are not positives with the program. I have repeatedly stated positives in my posts. However, there are concerns that people here either do not want to acknowledge or they just do not care.
    Or perhaps they have acknowledged them, don’t see them as critical or as important as you have judged them, and have moved on?

Supporting Member
    Nobody is arguing that there are not positives with the program. I have repeatedly stated positives in my posts. However, there are concerns that people here either do not want to acknowledge or they just do not care.
    If you want to bitch and complain about missing on a few recruits in one class by all means go ahead as you have been doing, I just wouldn't expect anyone to agree with you. The reason for that is because the positives in recruiting have far outweighed the negative since Steele took over. So why dwell on a negative piece, especially when it hasnt been a trend?

In regards to in game coaching....that has been discussed ad nauseam on here..many are taking a wait and see approach this year to see if that has improved. Defense (top 20 by the way)was.much improved this past year, offense still had a ways to go..if there isnt some incremental improvement this year then at that point its year three and that's a trend and something to be concerned with.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    If you want to bitch and complain about missing on a few recruits in one class by all means go ahead as you have been doing, I just wouldn't expect anyone to agree with you. The reason for that is because the positives in recruiting have far outweighed the negative since Steele took over. So why dwell on a negative piece, especially when it hasnt been a trend?

In regards to in game coaching....that has been discussed ad nauseam on here..many are taking a wait and see approach this year to see if that has improved. Defense (top 20 by the way)was.much improved this past year, offense still had a ways to go..if there isnt some incremental improvement this year then at that point its year three and that's a trend and something to be concerned with.
    Again, I have praised Steele for the recruits he has brought in for the class of 19 and 20. However, we are struggling with the class of 21. You say I bitch and moan about missing a few recruits but we have missed on several priority recruits. This means we are now having to go after options we wouldn’t have considered otherwise. This is exactly what happened to us during the class of 18. We missed on several recruits causing us to have to go after non big East talented recruits. We were always the second choice to those recruits if I remember correctly. I know I’ll hear that it is all Mack’s fault and the recruits knew Mack wasn’t going to be here which is fine, but it has hurt us the last two years. I do not want a poor 21 class to hurt us like the 18 class hurt us. We need all of the talent we can get to coverup coaching deficiencies. That is why I display my concern about the class of 21.

Again, I have praised Steele for the recruits he has brought in for the class of 19 and 20. However, we are struggling with the class of 21. You say I bitch and moan about missing a few recruits but we have missed on several priority recruits. This means we are now having to go after options we wouldn’t have considered otherwise. This is exactly what happened to us during the class of 18. We missed on several recruits causing us to have to go after non big East talented recruits. We were always the second choice to those recruits if I remember correctly. I know I’ll hear that it is all Mack’s fault and the recruits knew Mack wasn’t going to be here which is fine, but it has hurt us the last two years. I do not want a poor 21 class to hurt us like the 18 class hurt us. We need all of the talent we can get to coverup coaching deficiencies. That is why I display my concern about the class of 21.
    Steele has missed on priority recruits every year as have almost every coach in the game. I believe Edwards this year is the only other recruit, other than Odom, under Steele to commit before August. And when you land the guys he has in two straight classes, some recruits will look elsewhere. It’s called reality. He will land another high level guy before it’s said and done but he can only get one, maybe two more guys. It’s looking up.

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Don't you worry your little troll head, hon. Xavier will be just fine. This ain't 2018.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by X-man View Post
    Don't you worry your little troll head, hon. Xavier will be just fine. This ain't 2018.
    I have reported this post. This is the second consecutive post where you have called me a troll. The name calling needs to stop. I state my opinions on my joys and concerns within the program. Just because you don’t agree with them does not give you the right to call me names.

Repetition is the mother of learning.

It's also damn tedious.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    Steele has missed on priority recruits every year as have almost every coach in the game. I believe Edwards this year is the only other recruit, other than Odom, under Steele to commit before August. And when you land the guys he has in two straight classes, some recruits will look elsewhere. It’s called reality. He will land another high level guy before it’s said and done but he can only get one, maybe two more guys. It’s looking up.
    Exactly! Thank you.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    Interesting opinion. Again, I agree with the wonderful job he has done in the class of 19 and 20. I do disagree that this recruiting class is the same as the last couple of years in terms of misses. He has missed out on a lot more priority recruits this year than he did in the past. That’s just the reality of it. My point is that we need to hit on as much talent as we can to make up for coaching weaknesses. After that loss to DePaul, the only direction we can go is up. I hope you are right and we have enough talent to challenge Villanova for the Big East Title and get ourselves to a final four in the next couple of years. Only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Repetition is the mother of learning.

It's also damn tedious.
    Yep, yep,yep, yep, yep