Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Thread: 2021 Recruiting

Supporting Member
    If we get one more in this class...hopefully Holt, is X done or has Steele said he would like more?

I would think Steele would be done unless an absolute no brainer popped up.
    Balls of Steele!!

Hard to tell if Coach will stop at 3 for 2021.

There are currently 11 scholarship players on the official roster. Stanley should get a waiver, making it 12. Scruggs, Carter, Johnson, Griffin all exit after this season and Kunkle starts his eligibility next fall. So as it stands there would be 4 open schollys available, assuming no one transfers.

Here's the thing, Stanley factors more into the approach to 2021 recruits than people think. If he gets the expected waiver, and puts up solid numbers, I think he looks to go pro somewhere next year. If he doesn't play this year BUT gets his degree, IMO he does the same. If my hunch is right, we have ZERO Seniors for 2021-22 and 5 open slots. There is some flexibility there but one can assume 1-2 Senior transfers will be needed in any senario.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 09-04-2020 at 10:16 AM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    Hard to tell if Coach will stop at 3 for 2021.

There are currently 11 scholarship players on the official roster. Stanley should get a waiver, making it 12. Scruggs, Carter, Johnson, Griffin all exit after this season and Kunkle starts his eligibility next fall. So as it stands there would be 4 open schollys available, assuming no one transfers.

Here's the thing, Stanley factors more into the approach to 2021 recruits than people think. If he gets the expected waiver, and puts up solid numbers, I think he looks to go pro somewhere next year. If he doesn't play this year BUT gets his degree, IMO he does the same. If my hunch is right, we have ZERO Seniors for 2021-22 and 5 open slots. There is some flexibility there but one can assume 1-2 Senior transfers will be needed in any senario.
    I have no insight whatsoever, but it seems to me that it's kind of pointless to "manage" the scholarships as if things are going to turn out a certain way.

We've had departures and transfers that we expected, and some that we didn't. We've had commitments and decommitments. We've been in the right place in the right time with an available scholarship to grab an impact transfer. We've reached for some guys to "fill a class" only to see them (predictably) flame out and move on. I'm sure we've nudged a couple guys out the door "in their best interest" (and ours).

I think the coaches are CONSTANTLY recruiting and realize how fluid it all is.

Seems like Steele likes to keep a scholly open for a possible transfer, so I would think that after 1 more, they are done. It’s hard to find playing time for a full roster anyway.