Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Here's another great, but true story.

The James Gang- the birthplace of the fantastic Joe Walsh- were a bunch of guys who met and formed a band up here in NE Ohio at Kent State where they were all students. They were needing gigs to refine their chops so they would take almost anything, including High School mixers. The place on the west side of Cleveland that was willing to host them, as was the case in many other places like Nashville where I went to High School, was a Catholic school with a decent sized gym. The High Schools wouldn't host them for fear of their basketball courts being messed up, so it fell to the Grade Schools. Anyway my lovely wife would go to these mixers (I have no desire to know what went on during or after them with strange and dirty boys) and the School that would always host them was St. James in Lakewood. It was also the old iconic gym where every kid wanted to play their CYO ball- the MECCA, so to speak. So my lovely told me many years ago that the James Gang was a staple of these mixers in 1966 and early 1967. They originally called themselves The Stumps, but after a few gigs at St. James, started calling themselves the James Gang (after the St. James Gym) and went on to fame shortly after that. A lot of the guys in the original band that left had success in other groups like The Outsiders, Pacific Gas & Electric, and Count Five.
    WOW what a great story about James Gang and the origination of the name. Here's another interesting story. When we saw Pure Prairie League at Schmidt I believe they opened for Spirit and Dave Mason (a 3 act card that night). At the time the band, PPL, was living only about a block away from Schmidt in one of the large mansions up Dana Ave.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/ent...lore/94079502/

Quote Originally Posted by Final4 View Post
    WOW what a great story about James Gang and the origination of the name. Here's another interesting story. When we saw Pure Prairie League at Schmidt I believe they opened for Spirit and Dave Mason (a 3 act card that night). At the time the band, PPL, was living only about a block away from Schmidt in one of the large mansions up Dana Ave.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/ent...lore/94079502/
    I used to work with a woman who said when she was in her twenties she lived in a big house at the bottom of Straight Street (closer to UC) with a few members of Pure Prairie League and that Craig Fuller was courting her to marry. She didn't want to marry him then for some reason (I forget if she said), although she really liked him and he would look her up whenever he stopped by in the area. Not positive, but I think I heard that house belonged to Stan Herzman who went on to manage artists like The Raisins and Adrian Belew, as well as be a franchisee with UNOs.

I'm not sure if he still does, but Dave Mason was living in NKY for several years, marrying someone I think from Ft. Thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    I used to work with a woman who said when she was in her twenties she lived in a big house at the bottom of Straight Street (closer to UC) with a few members of Pure Prairie League and that Craig Fuller was courting her to marry. She didn't want to marry him then for some reason (I forget if she said), although she really liked him and he would look her up whenever he stopped by in the area. Not positive, but I think I heard that house belonged to Stan Herzman who went on to manage artists like The Raisins and Adrian Belew, as well as be a franchisee with UNOs.

I'm not sure if he still does, but Dave Mason was living in NKY for several years, marrying someone I think from Ft. Thomas.
    And, as almost everybody knows, Peter Frampton lived in Indian Hill for many years.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell