Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    I saw the "Why Store" at Schmidt Fieldhouse sometime in 1998 or 1999.
    My deepest sympathies. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Final4 View Post
    Back in the early 70's Schmidt was a very active concert venue. Some of the acts I saw at Schmidt (and I'm sure I have forgotten quite a few):

Chicago
    Beach Boys
    Arlo Guthrie
    Santana
    Pure Prairie League
    Spirit
    Jo Jo Gunn
    BB King
    Buddy Miles
    Todd Rundgren
    Dave Mason
    Black Oak Arkansas
    Guess Who

And a shoutout to a guy named Spoolie who was largely responsible for contributing to the list of acts I saw but can't remember.
    That is pretty impressive to know that little Xavier's Schmidt was a venue to these iconic bands. A fertile time period for music for sure.

These days, booking someone with just a mild YouTube hit will cost you more than most universities will want to spend on the guarantee. I bet Chicago takes home about $100K for their Riverbend concerts these days.

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Amazing that Spooky Tooth was the Opening Act! They were damn good.

They had an incredible lineup that included Gary Wright (Dream Weaver), Mick Jones who went on to form Foreigner, and Luther Grosvenor, who left, went to Stealers Wheel then was an original Member of Mott the Hoople and became known as Ariel Bender along with Ian Hunter (the "Cleveland Rocks" guy). I saw Mott last year here in The Land on their limited US tour where they only played 6 cities- Cleveland being one of them. Hunter and Grosvenor are both in their late 70's but rocked the iish out of Masonic Auditorium. Fantastic stuff.
    While it wasn't at Schmidt I also saw Mott the Hoople, with opening act Aerosmith, at Music Hall during this period (early 70's). Can you believe........Mott the Hoople at Music Hall?! And BTW Grosvenor was not an original member. He replaced Mick Ralphs who interesting was responsible for the Ariel (aerial) Bender nickname.

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Hendrix concert in '68 was incredible.
    And that was a year before Woodstock.
    Was '68 the year that Hendrix was opening for The Monkees?
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by Final4 View Post
    While it wasn't at Schmidt I also saw Mott the Hoople, with opening act Aerosmith, at Music Hall during this period (early 70's). Can you believe........Mott the Hoople at Music Hall?! And BTW Grosvenor was not an original member. He replaced Mick Ralphs who interesting was responsible for the Ariel (aerial) Bender nickname.
    Yup. Actually true about Grosvenor. I had forgotten about Ralphs, but I didn’t remember that Luther replaced him.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by X-man View Post
    Was '68 the year that Hendrix was opening for The Monkees?
    That was '67 for a few of their concert venues. Didn't last long.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    That was '67 for a few of their concert venues. Didn't last long.
    A friend of mine confessed that she was one of the people screaming "Davey, Davey", during Hendrix's warm-up set. Oddly enough, she's not embarrassed about it.

I grew up in New England and New York, and was in college and grad school in the 60's and 70's. While I did not experience the Schmidt concerts here, obviously, I am impressed with some of the bands. I am particularly jealous about the Quicksilver Messenger Service gig. I did have a chance to see a lot of acts at both college venues where I attended school including Janis Joplin (twice), Bob Dylan (as he transitioned to electric with The Band), Phil Ochs, Sly Stone, Judy Collins, Wilson Pickett, Sam and Dave (they played my senior lunch at a restaurant, of all things), Ravi Shankar, Pentangle, Ray Charles, Bonnie and Delaney, John Mayall, Bonnie Raitt (with Little Feat), Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels, Bruce Springsteen (who was the warmup act for Sha-Na-Na), and I'm sure a lot of others that I am forgetting.

In the Hamptons, on LI where I worked summers to pay for college, I saw (and danced to) the Young Rascals at the Barge in Westhampton Beach before they were big, and Bo Diddley at a club in the Springs where you brought your own booze. I also saw Peter, Paul, and Mary at Carnegie Hall, sitting across the aisle from Paul Simon and his date. Ah, those were the days, and I'm glad that I still remember it all so well.
    Last edited by X-man; 04-21-2020 at 11:58 AM.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

Wow. The only concert I remember during my time at X (93-97) was Candelbox and Sponge. Seeing the list from the 60's and 70's is making me really jealous.

I wasn't going to go to the concert, but one of my roommates who had a ticket couldn't go because he was going to a wedding. I wound up convincing him that I shouldn't have to pay for the ticket because it wasn't going to be used otherwise. Somehow he bought it and I went to a concert where I knew 2 or 3 songs total.

Quote Originally Posted by X-man View Post
    A friend of mine confessed that she was one of the people screaming "Davey, Davey", during Hendrix's warm-up set. Oddly enough, she's not embarrassed about it.

I grew up in New England and New York, and was in college and grad school in the 60's and 70's. While I did not experience the Schmidt concerts here, obviously, I am impressed with some of the bands. I am particularly jealous about the Quicksilver Messenger Service gig. I did have a chance to see a lot of acts at both college venues where I attended school including Janis Joplin (twice), Bob Dylan (as he transitioned to electric with The Band), Phil Ochs, Sly Stone, Judy Collins, Wilson Pickett, Sam and Dave (they played my senior lunch at a restaurant, of all things), Ravi Shankar, Pentangle, Ray Charles, Bonnie and Delaney, John Mayall, Bonnie Raitt (with Little Feat), Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels, Bruce Springsteen (who was the warmup act for Sha-Na-Na), and I'm sure a lot of others that I am forgetting.

In the Hamptons, on LI where I worked summers to pay for college, I saw (and danced to) the Young Rascals at the Barge in Westhampton Beach before they were big, and Bo Diddley at a club in the Springs where you brought your own booze. I also saw Peter, Paul, and Mary at Carnegie Hall, sitting across the aisle from Paul Simon and his date. Ah, those were the days, and I'm glad that I still remember it all so well.
    Yelling "Davey, Davey" to Jimmy Hendrix at a Monkees Concert is possibly the funniest thing I've read so far this year. Good one!
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    Yelling "Davey, Davey" to Jimmy Hendrix at a Monkees Concert is possibly the funniest thing I've read so far this year. Good one!
    I'm guessing that is a major reason why Hendrix and Monkees didn't last very long touring together.