Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Freshman

Financial state of XU athletics and the NCAA

With todays news of UC dropping its mens soccer program is this just the start locally and nationally of schoools dropping sports to save $? I hope not!! I did see that UC WAS going to honor the scholorships for those young men. Lets hope this virus ends quickly and we can get back to normal and the dominos stop falling!!

Sophomore
    It is definitely something to pay attention to. Colleges bring in 10 billion a year but cost 18 billion according to Axios an excellent hard news web site. 8 billion is made up from student fees and school contributions. There are going to be so many ramifications from this coronavirus it will be mind boggling and scary. One example is Naj..there will be no "combines" or summer leagues and the G league (for JP , Tre, Kaiser as well) is subsidized by the NBA.. Europe is worse than us for coronavirus. Many questions.

Sophomore
    This has potential to be very bad for most Universities on the athletics side and academic side. Some schools have been asking the highest paid employees in the athletic department to take temporary pay cuts. Iowa State and Louisville did this. Mack had to take a 10 percent reduction. https://amp.courier-journal.com/amp/5131927002

Sophomore
    Title IX plays into this too. I am sure that was part of the decision for UC. Nothing like a good ole financial crisis to point out flaws in the system. I think X also had to pay back a lot of room and board for the spring semester, so the cost is not just lost athletic revenues.
    Last edited by Olsingledigit; 04-14-2020 at 06:52 PM.

Freshman
    Again I hope I am wrong but ALL of this, I think, is going to get MUCH worse before it gets better. Lets ALL keep our faith!!

Freshman

Sophomore
    that is very sobering as spring football is dead, baseball dead and everything at risk. There are going to be so many secondary and tertiary effects that is is mind bobbling.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavgrad08 View Post
    This has potential to be very bad for most Universities on the athletics side and academic side. Some schools have been asking the highest paid employees in the athletic department to take temporary pay cuts. Iowa State and Louisville did this. Mack had to take a 10 percent reduction. https://amp.courier-journal.com/amp/5131927002
    So Mack went to Louisewer for what turned out to be only $600,000 more per year? (Tee Hee)
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by Olsingledigit View Post
    Title IX plays into this too. I am sure that was part of the decision for UC. Nothing like a good ole financial crisis to point out flaws in the system. I think X also had to pay back a lot of room and board for the spring semester, so the cost is not just lost athletic revenues.

Plus no revenue from the Big East Tournament, very little from the NCAA Tournament (which with 6 teams was going to be a league bonanza) and probably the league having to credit FoxTV money. This really hurts in lots of ways.
    I did already renew my season tix tho. There's that.

Quote Originally Posted by basket View Post

It is funny though that "power 6" AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAC is joining with the MAC and other "mid-majors" in this effort.
    I can't help myself.