Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by joe titan View Post
    'Brew: I think they do just like basketball & football in that night before games the team stays @ Kingsgate Marriot.
    Um - what? For home games? What on earth for?

What booster is involved with the Kingsgate Marriott?

There is no rationale anyone can give for this level of stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    Um - what? For home games? What on earth for?

What booster is involved with the Kingsgate Marriott?

There is no rationale anyone can give for this level of stupidity.
    I don't think he was serious about the soccer team doing it, but just about every FBS football team checks into a hotel the night before a home game. All the coaches will say they have to do it, and I guess to them it is as much of a control thing as anything else, but it's still a complete and total waste in my opinion.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    I don't think he was serious about the soccer team doing it, but just about every FBS football team checks into a hotel the night before a home game. All the coaches will say they have to do it, and I guess to them it is as much of a control thing as anything else, but it's still a complete and total waste in my opinion.
    Agree - this is complete nonsense and control behavior. It's one thing for a coach to demand, and yet another level of stupidity for an AD to allow it. What a collossal waste of money.

Agree - this is complete nonsense and control behavior. It's one thing for a coach to demand, and yet another level of stupidity for an AD to allow it. What a collossal waste of money.
    And Kingsgate doesn't give the University much of a discount, if any. I know that because I work at UC and have tried to use Kingsgate's facilities for events and it is NOT cheap. Stupid waste of money if football really does this.

It is a waste but all programs do it as was said. I think the coaches feel that the only way they can keep the kids from partying all night before a game is sequester them to a hotel. I know for a fact that it still doesn't keep the athletes from doing stupid things the night before a game.

I know I've read where UC's athletic department as a whole has been bleeding money for years. So why can they pick off a sport which as such little impact? I'm guessing the coaching staff and total budget is very, very small. I don't get it. Seems discriminatory to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    I know I've read where UC's athletic department as a whole has been bleeding money for years. So why can they pick off a sport which as such little impact? I'm guessing the coaching staff and total budget is very, very small. I don't get it. Seems discriminatory to me.
    They aren't going to cut basketball, football, or baseball. That left soccer, track, cross country, and swimming. My guess is that soccer occupied that middle area.

Article says they spent 908,000 dollars on men’s soccer last year, and had 9.66 scholarships.

Title IX says that universities must spend equal money on men’s and women’s sports (with football operating independently). So this will either allow them to cut some women’s sports completely, or cut their budgets. I suspect that it will be the latter.
    Last edited by XUGRAD80; 04-14-2020 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    UC athletic coaches and athletic administrators are paid over $12 million per year, athletic scholarships cost $9.9 million at UC. They are using roughly $1,400 per year from each student enrolled from student fees to help subsidize the athletic program. I would guess the soccer coach and staff was a very small portion of the $12 million they pay coaches and administrators. Maybe they should stop over paying coaches.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Article says they spent 908,000 dollars on men’s soccer last year, and had 9.66 scholarships.

Title IX says that universities must spend equal money on men’s and women’s sports (with football operating independently). So this will either allow them to cut some women’s sports completely, or cut their budgets. I suspect that it will be the latter.
    Title IX does not require equal spending on men's and women's sports.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17