Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    Hey, if he comes out his first year playing like an unstoppable beast inside who happens to be an easier target to get the ball to than Jones (because of his height) I will take that situation in a heartbeat.

With Freemantle and Carter sure to take plenty of threes next year, I see Miles being much more valuable to the team as a reliable rebounder and scorer in the paint.
    I don't buy the idea of "easier target" based on a couple inches of height. I don't have any stats to back it up, but I'm thinking maybe 75% of entry passes are bounce passes to a Big that has gained deep post position. Getting it to Miles in a way that exploits his size would mean more of a lob entry pass, and that might be difficult considering the height of the likely passers (Tandy / Odom) and having to get the lob over their defender. AND, it only matters if Miles can get that deep post position, which given his lack of strength might be difficult. I'd count on Miles to be: 1) a 1-on-1 defensive stopper (low shooting % for the guy he is guarding), 2) A help defender at the rim (leave his guy to block shots on drives), 3) a mediocre offensive rebounder with occasional putbacks, 4) potentially a finisher is we can run a little bit....

I think expecting anything more from Miles is unrealistic. Not many bigs are proficient at both ends of the floor, and if they are they end up at the blue blood schools and move along to the pros quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    I don't buy the idea of "easier target" based on a couple inches of height. I don't have any stats to back it up, but I'm thinking maybe 75% of entry passes are bounce passes to a Big that has gained deep post position. Getting it to Miles in a way that exploits his size would mean more of a lob entry pass, and that might be difficult considering the height of the likely passers (Tandy / Odom) and having to get the lob over their defender. AND, it only matters if Miles can get that deep post position, which given his lack of strength might be difficult. I'd count on Miles to be: 1) a 1-on-1 defensive stopper (low shooting % for the guy he is guarding), 2) A help defender at the rim (leave his guy to block shots on drives), 3) a mediocre offensive rebounder with occasional putbacks, 4) potentially a finisher is we can run a little bit....

I think expecting anything more from Miles is unrealistic. Not many bigs are proficient at both ends of the floor, and if they are they end up at the blue blood schools and move along to the pros quickly.
    Maybe you can’t buy it now. I can’t offer you stats to prove anything (because he hasn’t played yet), but I can ofder you the words of Steele who literally said Miles was (paraphrasing here) the easiest target to get the ball to inside in practice. He mentioned that he had great hands and more than any other big, he has a knack for grabbing any ball thrown in his vicinity, even poorly thrown ones.

That bit of info from the coach and the fact that Miles is taller with a longer wingspan and the fact that he can jump much higher (again according to Steele) than any other big this past year, leads me to believe he should indeed be an easier target than any of the bigs were this past year.

I don’t necessarily expect him coming out and being a double digit scorer (at least not right away), but I do see him being disruptive in the paint, causing fits for any opponent trying to shoot in the lane over him (like Hankins was) with his height and long arms. I expect to see Miles rebound well (though not at the level of Jones) and I expect him to be very good at blocking. I don’t think anyone is expecting him to be able to do it all, but if he can stick to his strengths and continue to work on other parts of his game, maybe he will end up being one of the best bigs X has ever had by the time he finishes here (just as Steele has stated is a realistic possibility).

Also, having a taller player who can jump higher should significantly help smaller guards. If they now have the option of lobbing passes up in the air for him, knowing only he can get it, there job just got easier.

If he can average 7 points. 7 rebounds and a little over a block a game this coming season, I think that would be helpful to the team and we’d all be pretty happy.
    Last edited by IM4X; 04-09-2020 at 12:37 PM.

Freshman
    If he can average 7 points. 7 rebounds and a little over a block a game this coming season, I think that would be helpful to the team and we’d all be pretty happy.[/QUOTE]

I agree. If he can average 7 points 7 rebounds a game I will be happy. We definitely need him to contribute next year.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by xuphan View Post
    If he can average 7 points. 7 rebounds and a little over a block a game this coming season, I think that would be helpful to the team and we’d all be pretty happy.
    I agree. If he can average 7 points 7 rebounds a game I will be happy. We definitely need him to contribute next year.[/QUOTE]

7 points and 7 rebounds is a gigantic ask for a kid wh has not played D1 or not being a monster of athleticism in the CYO's.
    It is possible but not likely. I imagine next year (2021-2022 season) will be his fruitful witness.

Maybe we should start a separate Miles thread.
    You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    I agree. If he can average 7 points 7 rebounds a game I will be happy. We definitely need him to contribute next year.
    7 points and 7 rebounds is a gigantic ask for a kid wh has not played D1 or not being a monster of athleticism in the CYO's.
    It is possible but not likely. I imagine next year (2021-2022 season) will be his fruitful witness.[/QUOTE]

Zach averaged 7.5 and 4.3 for comparison.
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

Quote Originally Posted by 94GRAD View Post
    It is possible but not likely. I imagine next year (2021-2022 season) will be his fruitful witness.
    Zach averaged 7.5 and 4.3 for comparison.[/QUOTE]

....and I was thrilled with what I saw from him.

What’s up with the quoting snafu? That’s odd.....

Oh, well.....

Before the quote, make sure you see [ Quote ]

You will also need to ensure there is a [ /Quote ] after the passage you are quoting...but remove the spaces. When you are missing one or the other, you will see quotes like those in the posts above.
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by nuts4xu View Post
    Before the quote, make sure you see [ Quote ]

You will also need to ensure there is a [ /Quote ] after the passage you are quoting...but remove the spaces. When you are missing one or the other, you will see quotes like those in the posts above.
    Luke Goode has committed to Illinois. Xavier seemed to be pretty involved in his recruitment so hopefully Steele is in good position to land Pierre Brooks from Michigan.