Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Sophomore

2021 Logan Duncomb commits to IU

Very disappointed to hear another big Cincinnati recruit not selecting Xavier. We really need to start recruiting better in Cincinnati. Steele is suppose to be this great recruiter but he seems to be struggling of late. Other than Coach Hayes, the other two assistants haven’t done hardy anything on the recruiting trail. We can’t keep living on multiple grad transfers each year. I am giving Steele another year but if this team again disappoints like last year, I will want to move on from Steele. This program is too elite to be this mediocre year after year.

Quote Originally Posted by xuphan View Post
    Very disappointed to hear another big Cincinnati recruit not selecting Xavier. We really need to start recruiting better in Cincinnati. Steele is suppose to be this great recruiter but he seems to be struggling of late. Other than Coach Hayes, the other two assistants haven’t done hardy anything on the recruiting trail. We can’t keep living on multiple grad transfers each year. I am giving Steele another year but if this team again disappoints like last year, I will want to move on from Steele. This program is too elite to be this mediocre year after year.
    Yeah, Steele is really struggling to recruit, let's just ignore the 2019 and 2020 classes and focus on one guy choosing Indiana (the horror, Xavier losing a recruit to tiny little program IU).

Is there a long line of Cincinnati-born impact college players that have gone elsewhere? It's not exactly a high major college hoops hotbed.

Not to mention IU has way more playing time available than X at this position. I suppose Steele should have cut one or two players...
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Junior
    Not a big surprise. He was playing for an IU centric AAU team. Steele made his bones picking off kids out of Indiana. That pipeline has sort of been turned off. Archie Miller has made it a point to keep the Indiana kids at home. Steele will get it going. The grad transfers have been a necessity the last few years to fill in empty classes. Last years became all BE frosh, and the guys coming in appear to be very good. I think this coming years team will be very cohesive, and I look for a good season.

All-Conference
    The kid is big, but I think it's going to take him 2-3 years to get acclimated to the highest level of college basketball. He kind of reminds me of Frease.

He will probably be a decent player after some development, as he likely has a good work ethic and good basketball IQ coming from Moeller, but I don't think we're missing out on the next big impact big man at Xavier.
    Last edited by drudy23; 04-08-2020 at 08:54 AM.

In his first two recruiting classes, Steele has received 8 commitments, seven of which were four star recruits.

One of those recruits, Miles, is from Northern Kentucky. He is the only three star in this group, and it has been written that he has the potential to be the best recruit from X's 2019 recruiting class.
    Last edited by XU 87; 04-08-2020 at 09:21 AM.

I believe Ben Johnson was the one who recruited Freemantle, Tandy. and Colby Jones, at least that's what is says on their profiles. And Dante recruited Dionte Miles and CJ Wilcher. But OK.
    Last edited by xavierj; 04-08-2020 at 09:18 AM.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    Yeah, Steele is really struggling to recruit, let's just ignore the 2019 and 2020 classes and focus on one guy choosing Indiana (the horror, Xavier losing a recruit to tiny little program IU).

Is there a long line of Cincinnati-born impact college players that have gone elsewhere? It's not exactly a high major college hoops hotbed.
    Let’s not ignore the 2019, 2020 classes. The 2019 class has Tandy and Freemantle. Besides those two, Ramsey and Miles are both projects. Ramsey may never be fully healthy to contribute meaningful minutes for Xavier and Miles is a big project who may or may not transfer in a couple of years. Xavier missed on Bishop. For 2020, both Odom and Wilcher look like impact guys. Colby Jones will hopefully make an impact but still is a project in my opinion.

I also said I would give Coach Steele another year to turn the ship. I still have faith in him but my patients is running thin with missing the NCAA tournament as much aa we have lately.
    Last edited by xuphan; 04-08-2020 at 09:25 AM.

I would have liked to have the kid come to X, but I wouldn’t consider it the end of the world.

“Another big Cincinnati recruit”? Tell me, who were the others he missed on?
    Hayes, who went to Texas for one year and then the pros, is one of the few I can think of.
    The kid from Princeton went straight into the pros, didn’t he?
    Kid from Middletown/Franklin went to Duke, and left early for the pros. How many kids would turn that down?
    Kid from Pendleton Co went to Uk....his dream school.
    Miles, is from Walton and was All-state in KY. Walton is part of the greater Cincinnati area.

So he’s lost recruiting battles to UK, Duke, Texas, the pros, and now Indiana, since he became a head coach. But, since he has brought in 8 freshman, and had 2 top 25 recruiting classes in a row, he has also gotten quite a large number of recruits that other top schools have not.

There were over 1000 kids in the transfer portal last year, and looks like there will be a similar number this year. Better get used to it, recruiting transfers is going to be a part of the deal from here on out. Not just for X, but for every team.

Let’s not ignore the 2019, 2020 classes. The 2019 class has Tandy and Freemantle. Besides those two, Ramsey and Miles are both projects. Ramsey may never be fully healthy to contribute meaningful minutes for Xavier and Miles is a big project who may or may not transfer in a couple of years. Xavier missed on Bishop. For 2020, both Odom and Wilcher look like impact guys. Colby Jones will hopefully make an impact but still is a project in my opinion.

I also said I would give Coach Steele another year to turn the ship. I still have faith in him but my patients is running thin with missing the NCAA tournament as much aa we have lately.
    Not sure Jones is a project. If he is then many people who have watched him are way off. I hear he is the most likely of the incoming guys to start and contribute. Has a very refined game and high basketball IQ. Reminds me of Josh Hart who played at Nova when I see his tapes.