Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Not to mention pure dumb luck.
    No doubt...zero sustainability. They are George Mason, VCU, Penn...
    dayton will lose by 40 and we will loot tonight.
    -Pablo

Supporting Member
    "On the court Loyola packed all of the thrills, beating the third-place team in the ACC (Miami), the SEC regular season co-champions (Tennessee) and the Mountain West champions (Nevada) by a combined four points" They then beat Kansas St by 16 pt(no dean wade). I was rooting for them but sad for us and could not sleep either Sunday night of Wisconsin or FSU..just laid there and went to work next day. March madness is incredible and man I missed it this year regardless of whether we were there. I was at MSG on Feb 17 for our win and walked 12 miles, road many subways and probably dodged coronavirus a number of times as evidently it was everywhere. Seven month to new X game..

My ONLY point with the Loyola reference was this: they didn't have great talent, comparatively speaking, so they had to play as a well synchronized team to accomplish what they did, including the luck factor that propelled them to the final weekend.

Now imagine a team with talent that plays as a TEAM. It's up to Travis to figure that out.
    X A V I E R

Voice of Reason Masterofreality's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    My ONLY point with the Loyola reference was this: they didn't have great talent, comparatively speaking, so they had to play as a well synchronized team to accomplish what they did, including the luck factor that propelled them to the final weekend.

Now imagine a team with talent that plays as a TEAM. It's up to Travis to figure that out.
    Very fair comment Dash. But "Luck" plays into every team in the Tournament. Remember the West Virginia game of BJ Raymond lore? Joe Alexander had a free throw that could have won the game in regulation with only about 5 seconds to go. He was an 80% free throw shooter. He missed setting up BJ's heroics in OT.

Or how about Xavier's first NCAA win in 1987 vs Missouri? X had a one point lead and Bunton, who had been having a great game had a wide ass open look from 14 feet away on the wing that may have given Mizzou the win. Luckily he missed and the rest is history.

Luck plays a part in almost EVERY NCAA Tournament game, except for maybe the first round seed games. After that it's a dice roll. No comment about luck should ever take away a team's accomplishments. A win is a win...especially against quality competition.

Someday, hopefully, Xavier will get there.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Very fair comment Dash. But "Luck" plays into every team in the Tournament. Remember the West Virginia game of BJ Raymond lore? Joe Alexander had a free throw that could have won the game in regulation with only about 5 seconds to go. He was an 80% free throw shooter. He missed setting up BJ's heroics in OT.

Or how about Xavier's first NCAA win in 1987 vs Missouri? X had a one point lead and Bunton, who had been having a great game had a wide ass open look from 14 feet away on the wing that may have given Mizzou the win. Luckily he missed and the rest is history.

Luck plays a part in almost EVERY NCAA Tournament game, except for maybe the first round seed games. After that it's a dice roll. No comment about luck should ever take away a team's accomplishments. A win is a win...especially against quality competition.

Someday, hopefully, Xavier will get there.
    I am with you all the way on the luck factor. I noted that in my post.

My simple point is, with that level of talent, they would not have made it out of the first weekend, luck or no luck, without having played as well as they played together.
    X A V I E R

I’m a big proponent of the idea that in a sport like basketball it is more important that players play as a great team, than it is to have great players. Of course, the really great teams have both. But if I had to choose, I’d take the former over the latter. IMO, this past years team had some really good (not great) players, but they seldom played great together as a team. Steele’s charge is to get the roster playing as a great team. It’s the players charge to become great teammates first, and great players 2nd. I wonder if some of last years players didn’t get that mixed up?

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    I’m a big proponent of the idea that in a sport like basketball it is more important that players play as a great team, than it is to have great players. Of course, the really great teams have both. But if I had to choose, I’d take the former over the latter. IMO, this past years team had some really good (not great) players, but they seldom played great together as a team. Steele’s charge is to get the roster playing as a great team. It’s the players charge to become great teammates first, and great players 2nd. I wonder if some of last years players didn’t get that mixed up?
    And, as a major point of emphasis, it is a hell of a lot more fun to watch a team that plays together and plays well, than watching a team that goes all Helter skelter on us.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    And, as a major point of emphasis, it is a hell of a lot more fun to watch a team that plays together and plays well, than watching a team that goes all Helter skelter on us.
    True dat!

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    How comical is it that you are discounting a Final Four run where Loyola won 4 games vs higher rated seeds. It’s not like Clifton Community getting a pass because the entire bracket fell apart in front of them and they didn’t have to beat a higher seed.
    Loyola beat 4 damn good teams to get there, with a damn effective offense. But just keep on with your ridiculous blind jealous hatred because Xavier’s never been to one.
    I for one am not jealous. I though their run was great. I was rooting for them. But they were VERY fortunate to get there. They won their first three games by a total of 4 points. They got a 9 seed in the the elite 8 game. They deserved every win, but they were still fortunate.
    Last edited by XU 87; 04-07-2020 at 08:23 PM.

Voice of Reason Masterofreality's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    I for one am not jealous. I though their run was great. I was rooting for them. But they were VERY fortunate to get there. They won their first three games by a total of 4 points. They got a 9 seed in the the elite 8 game. They deserved every win, but they were still fortunate.
    My post was not directed at you ‘87. Please see my other post above how EVERY Tournament team needs luck to advance, including Xavier.
    When you are in the Dance, it’s a fact of life. What if Arizona’s Trier makes that wide open 3 instead of Malcolm getting the rebound?
    Fact of life. Aaaaand as the old saying goes- Luck is the result of Design plus Desire.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell