Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sophomore
    I thought he had a Swiss Army Knife skill set...need a rebound he got it, need a lock down defense stand he did it(or tried), need a drive he did it, need a drive and disk he did it (against St John at MSG), need a 3 he did it, need some ball handling against pressure from another forward, he did it. He was not the greatest at any of these(maybe driving) but in the top 20&. For some reason he seemed to resent having to do all this and I really think missing the tournament by one game in 18, and a Kamar Baldwin this(wasted) year weighed on him. I also think that his injury in the FSU game in 2018 gnawed at him. I actually think he will be back as this damn coronavirus will make it impossible to be evaluated and make Europe off limits. I wonder about his relationship with Q on the court..it almost seemed to me Naj was pleading with Q to snap out of it, be the drive and dish or drive and finish/get fouled Q of 2018 and it just did not happen It would have made Naj life easier but I could easily see Naj coming back now which I never would have thought 3 weeks ago
    Last edited by whopper; 04-04-2020 at 11:13 AM.

I think Rick or Snow recently described him as a one read quarterback. I think that accurately describes his limitations in decision making. Him becoming more versatile as a distributor would’ve made him potentially a first round pick. Even with his 3pt% as is

I'd like to see him back playing the wing, instead of PG.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by xufan2020 View Post
    I think Rick or Snow recently described him as a one read quarterback. I think that accurately describes his limitations in decision making. Him becoming more versatile as a distributor would’ve made him potentially a first round pick. Even with his 3pt% as is
    That's actually a great analogy, incredible talent, but man some of the decision making is so head scratching. Has everything that would be a "scout's dream" in pure genetics, great length, athletic, also seems to have the "clutch gene" with those big shots, but he never really tightened up his dribble, and played a little out of control. Naji was good, don't get me wrong, I'm glad he chose X, and I still think there's more good memories than bad ones, but he really does have the potential to be out of this world good, just didn't really seem to click unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    That's actually a great analogy, incredible talent, but man some of the decision making is so head scratching. Has everything that would be a "scout's dream" in pure genetics, great length, athletic, also seems to have the "clutch gene" with those big shots, but he never really tightened up his dribble, and played a little out of control. Naji was good, don't get me wrong, I'm glad he chose X, and I still think there's more good memories than bad ones, but he really does have the potential to be out of this world good, just didn't really seem to click unfortunately.
    And again, just like with Goodin, I'm asking is that on the kid or the coaching? I don't know the answer but it seems as if they are trying to improve, yet somehow regress in a manner that isn't seen once they leave X and are trying things pro trainers are telling them to do.

Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    And again, just like with Goodin, I'm asking is that on the kid or the coaching? I don't know the answer but it seems as if they are trying to improve, yet somehow regress in a manner that isn't seen once they leave X and are trying things pro trainers are telling them to do.
    I'm not sure to be honest, I think it's too small of a sample size currently with Steele for me to answer that either way

All-Conference
    It was pretty apparent Naji knew Steele couldn't and wouldn't make an example out of him.

It seemed the team deferred to him (unwillingly) and it felt like at times he had more power/control of the team than Steele. For how great some moments were for him, he had just as many head-scratchers. Naji giveth, Naji taketh away.

Even a small change in decision making, mistakes and enhanced teamwork dictated and made accountable by the coaching staff would have made a huge difference in team success. To me, that's more on the coaching staff.