Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Career Wrap: Quentin Goodin

Last year, I started logging the final career stats of 80 Xavier players going back to the 1990-91 Season. I don't have their breakdown by year, rather their final stats only.

The criteria to make this list is that they must have played 1000 career minutes, or if they were a transfer and didn't play 1000 minutes then it was a judgement call based on their importance to the team in the years they played. Or if they are an active player with a meaningful role I added them as well (Free, Tandy, Carter, Scruggs).

I have the minutes played for 59 Players. Some older years the info just wasn't available. Some stats will be presented on a "per minute" basis, so the population is 59.

I broke our all players into one of 3 groups: Guard (28), Swing (20), Big (32).

I labeled some players as "shooter" if they took 100 or more career 3's, or more than 30% of their shots were from deep. There are 48 Shooters.

The populations change for the metrics based on how many criteria went into that analysis (rebounding per minute for big men has a population of 25 as an example).

So, lets look at where Quentin Goodin finished his career.

SCORING: My unfortunate impression of Quentin as a scorer was that he was a poor shooter that took too many shots and didn't get to the line often enough. From a statistical point of view, my observations were at least partially validated, as Q finished 76th of 80 in shooting %, 43rd of 48 in 3pt shooting percentage, 70th of 80 in 2pt FG %, and 42nd of 59 in Free Throw attempts per minute. His FT shooting % was 55th of 80. BUT, he didn't shoot too often as he was 41st of 59 in FGA per minute. His frequency of taking 3's as a % of his total shots came in at 33 of 48. I suppose my conclusion here is that he didn't shoot too much.....he was just pretty bad at it when he did. Keep in mind that he played the 7th most amount of minutes (out of 59) in his career, so we had to suffer through this deficit which became glaring when guys that were BUCKETS (Blueitt, Kanter, Macura) were no longer around. Overall, Points per Minute was 50 of 59.

PLAYING PG The primary job of the PG is to run the offense....and close out games (see Holloway, Tu) That can be measured using stats to some degree, but the success / failure in this area goes beyond the numbers. I considered Q to be a capable / average PG that needed shooters around him and was a little too prone to Turnovers. The stats show that his Assists Per Minute place him 5th of 59, and his assist to TO ratio was 4th of 60. BUT.... his turnovers per minute was pretty high, ranking him 48th of 59 in that category. Considering he played with Marshall (57th of 58) and Scruggs (52 or 58), I'm left thinking that the sheer number of turnovers by the TEAM had an adverse impact on my impression of Q....since you know, he was running the offense. Considering his limited ability to get to the line, and his poor FT%, and I'm hanging a lot of the recent disappointment on Q.

SECONDARY STATS FOR A PG Raking high in some of these areas would be considered a plus. These aren't essential things to be great at. But, being inept at them could be problematic. Witness these per minute rankings in various categories: Offensive Rebounding per Minute 52 of 55, Defensive Rebounds per Minute 43 of 55, Total Rebounds per Minute 50 of 59, Steals per Minute 19 of 59, Blocks per Minute 46 of 59, fouls per minute 16 of 58. Really, he was kind of invisible in most of these areas. He didn't even commit a lot of fouls...which I kind of would rather see of my PG as long as it's not a "foul trouble" situation.

Overall, I guess choosing Q for my first analysis might have been a mistake. I'm sure my tone is kind of somber as I reflect on the reality that Q was really pretty lackluster and worse, we had to play him significant minutes.

I hate to offer this as my input, but his decision making and lazy execution were virtually unforgivable.
    X A V I E R

Your best PG are leaders and tone setters. I really thought he would emerge as that guy and it never happened. I'm more disappointed in that than anything else.

All-Conference
    It seemed Q had a bunch going on in his personal life over the course of his career at X. It seemed to impact his performance, which can be understandable.

I don't so much blame Q for that as much as I do the coach for giving him the leeway he did when it became obvious he wasn't the same player.

His loyalty to Q honestly may have been to Q's detriment.

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    It seemed Q had a bunch going on in his personal life over the course of his career at X. It seemed to impact his performance, which can be understandable.

I don't so much blame Q for that as much as I do the coach for giving him the leeway he did when it became obvious he wasn't the same player.

His loyalty to Q honestly may have been to Q's detriment.
    I am not sure that is fair. So, you have an employee who you know to be gifted, but recent performance has been lacking. Yet he continues to reinforce with you his ability to turn around and get back on track.

Maybe you’re right. Maybe Travis waited too long. But then again, it’s hard to know what constitutes “too long” until after the fact. And all of that is complicated with the loss of Paul late in the year.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    I am not sure that is fair. So, you have an employee who you know to be gifted, but recent performance has been lacking. Yet he continues to reinforce with you his ability to turn around and get back on track.

Maybe you’re right. Maybe Travis waited too long. But then again, it’s hard to know what constitutes “too long” until after the fact. And all of that is complicated with the loss of Paul late in the year.
    If you are “managing” people of that age, you’d hope it’s more like at a Burger King where you have far less invested and committed to your average burger flipper.

It is indeed strange how he seemed to slide backwards, but I wish him all the best. We’ll never know the whole deal.

With all the disappointment surrounding Qs last two seasons he still finished top 4 in assists (maybe Top 3) all time. He wasn’t a great or even good PG for most of the season. But I can’t totally discount his four year effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    With all the disappointment surrounding Qs last two seasons he still finished top 4 in assists (maybe Top 3) all time. He wasn’t a great or even good PG for most of the season. But I can’t totally discount his four year effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    AMEN! He was an important piece to some great Xavier times.

Sophomore
    What I will remember most about Q is that he was loyal and devoted and always gave his all. I think he is genuine. Perhaps the on court expectations weren’t met, but I applaud his effort.

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    If you are “managing” people of that age, you’d hope it’s more like at a Burger King where you have far less invested and committed to your average burger flipper.

It is indeed strange how he seemed to slide backwards, but I wish him all the best. We’ll never know the whole deal.
    I’m not sure I follow. People who flip burgers at a Burger King don’t have 10,000 people watching them, a $500 million media agreement behind them, and the pressure that comes with funding an athletic department.
    X A V I E R