Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    and 13th according to ESPN
    Maybe without any live sports to follow, ESPN can know a little something about colleges hoops recruiting?

If they lift my spirits, I’ll buy in right now.

Sorry 82- he just committed to Xavier, espn will for sure drop him in their rankings.

I think this really shows that Coach Steele is focused on finding guys that can hit the outside shot and space the floor, I like the pick up, I hope his game translates and it goes well.

I just hope he's not the second coming of Bryce Moore and more like the second coming of Malcolm Bernard.

I'm happy they got someone with some promise. If we can spread the floor better things could open up the lane for balanced opportunities. He's definitely a factor shooting threes off the catch and shoot. And he attempts more too! Shot 59 more 3s than Scruggs did last season. 23 more than Marshall. Not sure if G-W was a huge three point team, but this guy certainly was.

But it is a mixed bag with this kid. He hasn't performed as well against stronger competition (top 50/100 teams he played poorly), but I don't know if that's a function of him not having help or what. This past season wasn't as good as the one prior, statistically, but his usage was up. I don't think he's much of a ball handler, but I do see the stats saying he's a respectable defender…at least in the Big South games.

Bart Torvik's site says he barely moves the needle for us, even with Marshall still on the team, but I think we're in another season of filling holes just to be competitive. Hoping this kid clicks big time.

Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    I'm happy they got someone with some promise. If we can spread the floor better things could open up the lane for balanced opportunities. He's definitely a factor shooting threes off the catch and shoot. And he attempts more too! Shot 59 more 3s than Scruggs did last season. 23 more than Marshall. Not sure if G-W was a huge three point team, but this guy certainly was.

But it is a mixed bag with this kid. He hasn't performed as well against stronger competition (top 50/100 teams he played poorly), but I don't know if that's a function of him not having help or what. This past season wasn't as good as the one prior, statistically, but his usage was up. I don't think he's much of a ball handler, but I do see the stats saying he's a respectable defender…at least in the Big South games.

Bart Torvik's site says he barely moves the needle for us, even with Marshall still on the team, but I think we're in another season of filling holes just to be competitive. Hoping this kid clicks big time.

GW had a junior 6'0 point guard who shot better from 3( I think 43-44%) .

My biggest concern is who plays pg. I guess Steele and company are going to ask Odom to carry the load as a frosh because Tandy and Scruggs both turn it over frequently. Maybe Scruggs knows the plays best but we shall see.

In Nate Johnson's interview on The Athletic with Shannon he sounds like a good level headed kid honestly. Some quotes I loved to hear (if this isn't allowed just lemme know Muskie, I'll edit it out):

“I just got a family vibe from Coach Steele. I’ve done a lot of research, watching games and film, and I just loved everything about Xavier. I’m grateful to get the opportunity,” Johnson said. “We’ve been talking for a couple weeks now about the program and the school and developing me as a player and as a person. Coming to Xavier was the best choice for me.”

“My defense is – how can I describe it? Just relentless. I love playing man defense or playing zone. It doesn’t matter. Just being physical and just going after the ball,” Johnson said Saturday by phone.

I’m going to be one of the veterans along with Paul Scruggs and others, just bringing what I’ve got to the table and being one of those leaders,” Johnson said. “I want to bring my defensive mindset and offensive mindset. Everything.”

NATE CONFIRMED SCRUGGS IS COMING BACK DON'T LET ANYBODY TELL YOU ANYTHING ELSE

Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post

B
    art Torvik's site says he barely moves the needle for us, even with Marshall still on the team, but I think we're in another season of filling holes just to be competitive. Hoping this kid clicks big time.
    "Respectable" in the BS doesn't really jump out as a something of which I would look forward.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Quote Originally Posted by UCGRAD4X View Post
    "Respectable" in the BS doesn't really jump out as a something of which I would look forward.
    If he can average one and a half blocks, and three steals per game, I think any team would be pleased. Defense is more than that, but those two stats show some effort and activity.
    Last edited by sirthought; 03-29-2020 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    GW had a junior 6'0 point guard who shot better from 3( I think 43-44%) .

My biggest concern is who plays pg. I guess Steele and company are going to ask Odom to carry the load as a frosh because Tandy and Scruggs both turn it over frequently. Maybe Scruggs knows the plays best but we shall see.
    Right or wrong, both Tandy and Odom will play the point and Tandy will also play the 2. I believe to start it will be Tandy running point until Odom is completely comfortable running the team. One reason Xavier passed on reaching out to Carlik Jones as to not piss off Tandy and Odom, specifically Tandy in my opinion. Tandy sees himself as a PG more than anything, but is also OK playing the 2. Bringing in another PG would cut Tandy out of the PG position all together and that would not sit well with him.