Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 82
  1. #41
    Supporting Member UCGRAD4X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,204
    Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    Bishop, Castlin, James, Harden and Kennedy. Throw in Ryan Welage and MOR could have that team at 10-8 in this year's Big East.
    Not under the present administration.
    You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.

  2. #42
    Supporting Member AviatorX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,620
    I mean come on...are we really going to do this with Kyle Castlin? How long before we have posters clamoring that Myles Hanson should be playing.

  3. #43
    Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Kyle Castlin shot 36% from 3 and over 55% from 2 for Columbia. His 3 point % dropped to 29.6% at X. Did he forget how to shoot from March to November?
    He also went from averaging 10.5 ppg to just over 4 for X. Maybe there was better defense in the BE to account for the scoring average drop, but I don’t think a kid forgets how to shoot. Now he’s made a G League roster so obviously he hadn’t forgotten how to shoot.

    All this year everyone was bitching that this X team couldn’t shoot either. Maybe Kyle Castlin was the “Canary in the Coal mine” letting us know that actually it was the scheme that was wrong and guys weren’t worked thru ball movement and screens to be open enough?

    But, yeah. Just keep blaming the players for “Bad IQ”, taking bad shots and excusing the guy who is supposed to make them better and putting them in the best spots to succeed.
    I think enough evidence has been shared regarding Harden and Castlin that proves you cannot evaluate high level Division 1 talent.
    Not sure anyone would argue that Steele has not had a lot of growing pains the last 2 years but that was true for Matta, Miller and Mack as well. They survived and thrived and so will Steele.
    The offense was tough to watch this year but without a PG they still generated a ton of good and open looks every game and unfortunately missed more bunnies and open 3’s than anyone thought possible. I highly doubt they continue to have the same issues when they have a balanced roster.
    Tough to take anything you say serious when you continually disregard reality.

  4. #44
    Voice of Reason Masterofreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On America's Great North Coast
    Posts
    18,111
    Here’s reality.

    19-16 and 19-13. Both years underachieving with the roster we had. An offense that is eye bleeding to watch, does not get to the foul line enough and does not set up players for success resulting in bad setups and bad outcomes. If you want to know the kind of offense I would have put in with this group it would have been The Ball Screen and option offense run by many teams and got Loyola-Chicago to the Final 4 a couple of years ago. For example- The Ramblers typically start their offense with a ball screen action to force the defense to provide help. What makes their offense special is that they attack the help to get open shots, doing so by making the extra pass and getting the ball in the paint. If a player does not have a good shot, he is ready and willing to give the ball up or create for teammate. They MOVE the freaking ball, they don’t have a guy pounding 20 dribbles on the court. Loyola has a big man Krutwig similar to Tyrique Jones. Strong around the hoop, but can’t shoot a lick outside of 5 feet. I think we have/had better shooters than Loyola, but don’t get to the same open spots. A big reason for that was because Tyrique Jones or Carter or even Free hardly ever passed out of the post. They apparently weren’t coached to but Krutwig is. How many times when Tyrique/Carter/Free were doubled did they know where to go with the ball? Not too many because A) They weren’t coached to, B) Our guys were in no position to receive the pass ready to shoot. The result was a continual parade of turnovers. All year. We should have started installing offense and used it IMO starting with Spain, not the wasted AAU ball we saw. Loyola really didn’t have a point guard either this year but their ball movement was still a thing of beauty.

    My opinion of Steele is that he is not a good X & O and game coach right now. He is slow to adjust, misses matchup advantages, and is lousy in the player/roster management area. He sets a good defensive plan and can seemingly recruit.
    Can he improve? Only time will tell, but he’ll be around next year.
    You guys keep picking apart college players while leaving the coach untouched. You question players who are now getting paid & players who are just leaving who underperformed while at Xavier while forgiving the coach of everything. Whatever. You have your opinion, and you can childishly call me all the clever names you want just because I am not a fan of Steele and not afraid to say it. Ain’t bothering me. We’ll eventually see who was right. I sincerely hope we’re not 4 years in with no Dance.
    That’s it.
    Last edited by Masterofreality; 03-25-2020 at 10:06 PM.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

  5. #45
    Supporting Member XU 87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,579
    Per Kenpom, Loyola had an offense rating of about 103. X had an offense rating of 106.
    Last edited by XU 87; 03-25-2020 at 10:15 PM.

  6. #46
    Sophomore IM4X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,537
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Here’s reality.

    19-16 and 19-13. Both years underachieving with the roster we had. An offense that is eye bleeding to watch, does not get to the foul line enough and does not set up players for success resulting in bad setups and bad outcomes. If you want to know the kind of offense I would have put in with this group it would have been The Ball Screen and option offense run by many teams and got Loyola-Chicago to the Final 4 a couple of years ago. For example- The Ramblers typically start their offense with a ball screen action to force the defense to provide help. What makes their offense special is that they attack the help to get open shots, doing so by making the extra pass and getting the ball in the paint. If a player does not have a good shot, he is ready and willing to give the ball up or create for teammate. They MOVE the freaking ball, they don’t have a guy pounding 20 dribbles on the court. Loyola has a big man Krutwig similar to Tyrique Jones. Strong around the hoop, but can’t shoot a lick outside of 5 feet. I think we have/had better shooters than Loyola, but don’t get to the same open spots. A big reason for that was because Tyrique Jones or Carter or even Free hardly ever passed out of the post. They apparently weren’t coached to but Krutwig is. How many times when Tyrique/Carter/Free were doubled did they know where to go with the ball? Not too many because A) They weren’t coached to, B) Our guys were in no position to receive the pass ready to shoot. The result was a continual parade of turnovers. All year. We should have started installing offense and used it IMO starting with Spain, not the wasted AAU ball we saw. Loyola really didn’t have a point guard either this year but their ball movement was still a thing of beauty.

    My opinion of Steele is that he is not a good X & O and game coach right now. He is slow to adjust, misses matchup advantages, and is lousy in the player/roster management area. He sets a good defensive plan and can seemingly recruit.
    Can he improve? Only time will tell, but he’ll be around next year.
    As you know, I have been frustrated with Steele this season too. I am completely with you on everything you mentioned above about the offense.

    I do have to admit there were players who were just awful when we needed them to at least step up and be okay. I think Q gave up on driving in the lane because he simply couldn’t make a layup anymore. He and Moore became as cold as the attic wind from three. Even Carter was throwing up layups like he was 8 feet away. Naji and Paul went into “Reckless mode” several times a game. There was no true leader on the court who settled everyone down. That was Q’s role but he was having too many of his own issues to calm his teammates and establish any sort of tempo.

    I also must admit I had some similar frustrations with the offense during some of Mack’s early years. Then he added more talent and better shooters. I forget who it was that said it (maybe Gillen) or what the exactly quote was but it was something like “It’s amazing how great shooting makes up for a multitude of other sins.” This quote seems to fit nicely with Mack and Steele. Both had their struggles, but when they had a plethora of great shooters on their roster, they were able to overcome other glaring weaknesses.

    The team that included Tre, JP, Gates, Sumner, Kanter and O’Mara had far more talent than this season’s team and far better shooters and they also seemed to have higher basketball IQs. Steele certainly needs to get better, but he also needs more talented, smart players who listen and give a damn about working hard at improving the little things. Let’s see which of things do get better next year.

  7. #47
    Sophomore Smails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    1,803
    Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    Per Kenpom, Loyola had an offense rating of about 103. X had an offense rating of 106.
    LOL..."thing of beauty"
    dayton will lose by 40 and we will loot tonight.
    -Pablo

  8. #48
    Supporting Member AviatorX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,620
    Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    Per Kenpom, Loyola had an offense rating of about 103. X had an offense rating of 106.
    Don't worry, Loyola made up for it with a defense slotted 52 spots behind X on KenPom. Coaching. Not to mention they had the 45th best 3P% in the country, but relative to total field goal attempts, hoisted the 307th most 3's. Porter Moser has cracked the offensive code. Must be why they lost 5 non-conference games against the #281 non-conference schedule (including a home loss to Coppin State).
    Last edited by AviatorX; 03-26-2020 at 08:20 AM.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    As you know, I have been frustrated with Steele this season too. I am completely with you on everything you mentioned above about the offense.

    I do have to admit there were players who were just awful when we needed them to at least step up and be okay. I think Q gave up on driving in the lane because he simply couldn’t make a layup anymore. He and Moore became as cold as the attic wind from three. Even Carter was throwing up layups like he was 8 feet away. Naji and Paul went into “Reckless mode” several times a game. There was no true leader on the court who settled everyone down. That was Q’s role but he was having too many of his own issues to calm his teammates and establish any sort of tempo.

    I also must admit I had some similar frustrations with the offense during some of Mack’s early years. Then he added more talent and better shooters. I forget who it was that said it (maybe Gillen) or what the exactly quote was but it was something like “It’s amazing how great shooting makes up for a multitude of other sins.” This quote seems to fit nicely with Mack and Steele. Both had their struggles, but when they had a plethora of great shooters on their roster, they were able to overcome other glaring weaknesses.

    The team that included Tre, JP, Gates, Sumner, Kanter and O’Mara had far more talent than this season’s team and far better shooters and they also seemed to have higher basketball IQs. Steele certainly needs to get better, but he also needs more talented, smart players who listen and give a damn about working hard at improving the little things. Let’s see which of things do get better next year.
    I agree with this, but also think that not many coaches, knowing their team is terrible from 3 (and we were terrible), would allow the type of offense he allowed with this team. Game after game, the team relied on the things they did the worst. It never really made sense to me.

  10. #50
    Sophomore
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    1,820
    Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    I mean come on...are we really going to do this with Kyle Castlin? How long before we have posters clamoring that Myles Hanson should be playing.
    we already have one!!! paging Xuperman. he was clamoring for myles hanson for the last year or so lol.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •