Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever View Post
    Let's be careful here. About this time, last year, we on this board were licking our chops in anticipation of four starters returning and along with the transfer of Ohio University's top scorer. Plus, we had four (count em FOUR) highly rated freshman recruits. Man oh Man was it going to be a great season...............
    We were all riding the high of the progress made at the end of the year (which in retrospect was largely due to Grad Transfers).
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    We were all riding the high of the progress made at the end of the year (which in retrospect was largely due to Grad Transfers).
    *largely due to Hankins

Quote Originally Posted by XU_Lou View Post
    That's precisely why we call him MOaR - the Master Of alternate Reality. MOar is the resident toothless UK fan on this board...
    This is my last post on this thread, and this board for a while. You sir are clueless.

A) I played basketball 3 years varsity in High School.
    B) I coached 6 years of High School basketball in Georgia (Stone Mountain High School)
    C) We had kids and relocated to NE Ohio and couldn't continue coaching HS, but I still coached at various levels- up to Jr High for another 17 years.
    D) My family is very close and has always been involved in basketball, being from Louisville originally myself.
    E) My cousin, Ceal Barry played at UK, asst coached at UK, became Clifton Community's Head Coach and then was hired at Colorado, where she won over 500 games, an Olympic Gold Medal and two years ago was inducted in the Womens Basketball Hall of Fame. We have always been, and remained close. I stayed with them when Xavier played at Colorado in 2016. I have always leaned on her for advice and input in coaching. (Aside she beat all of our asses in H_O_R_S_E for years)
    F) Another cousin played basketball for Bellarmine. We remain close.

Sorry if that is "Toothless", snark-ass. And I hate UK, and Louisewer U for that matter even though my Mother went there.

I have basketball knowledge and opinions based in, yes REALITY. I was challenged on another thread to state what offense I would have run with this team as opposed to what Steele ran. There are other types of offenses, but I picked the Loyola offense primarily because of the fact that Loyola had a dominant Big Man in Krutwig that they needed to play through- similar to Tyrique Jones-that couldn't really shoot from outside 8 feet. And they also had young guards who weren't the best shooters yet. That same system had been to Final Four, yes with different players, but it worked. Yes, there are totally different levels of competition, and yes there are different players on each team, but we are talking about an organized overall system.

If anyone on here was satisfied with a ball-sticking, one guy dribble the ball 20 times, one high ball-screen, then a one-on-one-attempt-to-bail-the-possession-out offense that was seen this year, then great. Glad you are rosy glasses guy. But most would say that this offense was poorly designed and sucked. I can only hope that the 19-16 , 19-13 Coach is doing some homework this Quarantine Season to put a better O product out there than this was this year, and, quite frankly, can match the improvement on defense that he created this year. I can only hope that these recruits, and new transfers that are coming in, are talented to the trumpeted level and are used to the max in a "system" that best uses what they can do. Maybe Steele goes back and looks at the amazing ball movement that was exhibited by the 2004 Run team? Maybe he goes back and sees the differences in how the offense was set under Mack in some of these NCAA Tournament games? Maybe he looks at the motion flex that Loyola and other teams use? Maybe he even goes back and sees how a zone defense when sprinkled in there, like it was by Beaknose in 2004 vs Louisville and Miss State, can really work. How nice would it have been to get that Marquette game back? Whatever. It needs to get better.

Finally. I do not have a personal bug up my ass for Steele. I've met him, his wife and cute Winston. He's an engaging guy. I have a bug for underachievement and what happens to the school that I love when this basketball program fails, and fails with a talented roster- a roster which other coaches in the Big East much smarter than I, called talented by votes preseason and post season. I have had to fire people, people I liked, but were grossly underachieving. That's life. Production and Performance is key. We're a lot farther away from the Final 4 than we were 3 years ago.

Steele will be back next year. That's a certainty. Time will tell if he turns this around. But no one can now say that he "doesn't have his players". He's decided on these transfers and he will have 10 players on this roster that he himself made the decision to bring in. Yes, they will be young, but I want to see organization early. If I see that, and also better and quicker bench adjustments and decisions, then I'm fine with a mediocre record next year because , just like in 1995-1996, with freshmen D Williams, Lenny Brown, and G Lumpkin, there is hope.

In the meantime, I'm renewing and increasing my Season Ticket count for next year, I'm stepping up my AFO contributions and I'll be at the AFO Golf Outing and Butler County Steak Fry in June. I have no idea what anyone else is doing, but my commitment is solid to Xavier. Who ever the coach is.

That's it. Have a great summer.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

All-Conference
    A

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by XUMIOH12 View Post
    *largely due to Hankins
    it is a dead issue but Welage for Naj won the st johns game (worth 2 games as we missed Wednesday) and Castlin won the Creighton game ("won" means the player who made the biggest difference and Hankins was great in both games)

Nobody screamed louder than I did for more movement in our offense this past year.
    But upon reading MOR's overview above, it caused me to think about something else.

The coach should know how to get the most out of his players.
    UNC was picked 9/11 in preaseason, Roy does know how to coach, he did (like us) have some injuries impact the team, but look where they finished.
    Was he not getting the best out of his team?

Perhaps Steele got the best our team could give. Maybe if we had more movement in our offense, we would have had more TO's.
    That's almost impossible to contemplate.
    Maybe we just needed more people that could hit an open 3. That alone would have made all the difference in any number of games.
    Or...making 70% of our FT's. That also would have won some games.
    Hard to put that on Steele.

Looking forward to next year!
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

MOR and Paul both make good points. A coach tells a shooter like Bluiett to keep on shooting to get out of a slump. But you don't tell guys who are not shooters to keep on shooting just because they might make one every now and then. The offense seemed to move the ball early in the game and then would fizzle out with no adjustment to get back to moving the ball. It seemed to take too long to get both Tyrique and Free on the floor at the same time. That experiment should have happened much quicker. Hopefully coach is learning and we don't see much of what we saw last year.
    Balls of Steele!!

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    This is my last post on this thread, and this board for a while. You sir are clueless.

B) I coached 6 years of High School basketball in Georgia (Stone Mountain High School)
    C) We had kids and relocated to NE Ohio and couldn't continue coaching HS, but I still coached at various levels- up to Jr High for another 17 years.
    D) My family is very close and has always been involved in basketball, being from Louisville originally myself.
    E) My cousin, Ceal Barry played at UK, asst coached at UK, became Clifton Community's Head Coach and then was hired at Colorado, where she won over 500 games, an Olympic Gold Medal and two years ago was inducted in the Womens Basketball Hall of Fame. We have always been, and remained close. I stayed with them when Xavier played at Colorado in 2016. I have always leaned on her for advice and input in coaching. (Aside she beat all of our asses in H_O_R_S_E for years)

Sorry if that is "Toothless", snark-ass. And I hate UK, and Louisewer U for that matter even though my Mother went there.

I have basketball knowledge and opinions based in, yes REALITY. I was challenged on another thread to state what offense I would have run with this team as opposed to what Steele ran. There are other types of offenses, but I picked the Loyola offense primarily because of the fact that Loyola had a dominant Big Man in Krutwig that they needed to play through- similar to Tyrique Jones-that couldn't really shoot from outside 8 feet. And they also had young guards who weren't the best shooters yet. That same system had been to Final Four, yes with different players, but it worked. Yes, there are totally different levels of competition, and yes there are different players on each team, but we are talking about an organized overall system.

If anyone on here was satisfied with a ball-sticking, one guy dribble the ball 20 times, one high ball-screen, then a one-on-one-attempt-to-bail-the-possession-out offense that was seen this year, then great. Glad you are rosy glasses guy. But most would say that this offense was poorly designed and sucked. I can only hope that the 19-16 , 19-13 Coach is doing some homework this Quarantine Season to put a better O product out there than this was this year, and, quite frankly, can match the improvement on defense that he created this year. I can only hope that these recruits, and new transfers that are coming in, are talented to the trumpeted level and are used to the max in a "system" that best uses what they can do. Maybe Steele goes back and looks at the amazing ball movement that was exhibited by the 2004 Run team? Maybe he goes back and sees the differences in how the offense was set under Mack in some of these NCAA Tournament games? Maybe he looks at the motion flex that Loyola and other teams use? Maybe he even goes back and sees how a zone defense when sprinkled in there, like it was by Beaknose in 2004 vs Louisville and Miss State, can really work. How nice would it have been to get that Marquette game back? Whatever. It needs to get better.

Finally. I do not have a personal bug up my ass for Steele. I've met him, his wife and cute Winston. He's an engaging guy. I have a bug for underachievement and what happens to the school that I love when this basketball program fails, and fails with a talented roster- a roster which other coaches in the Big East much smarter than I, called talented by votes preseason and post season. I have had to fire people, people I liked, but were grossly underachieving. That's life. Production and Performance is key. We're a lot farther away from the Final 4 than we were 3 years ago.

Steele will be back next year. That's a certainty. Time will tell if he turns this around. But no one can now say that he "doesn't have his players". He's decided on these transfers and he will have 10 players on this roster that he himself made the decision to bring in. Yes, they will be young, but I want to see organization early. If I see that, and also better and quicker bench adjustments and decisions, then I'm fine with a mediocre record next year because , just like in 1995-1996, with freshmen D Williams, Lenny Brown, and G Lumpkin, there is hope.

In the meantime, I'm renewing and increasing my Season Ticket count for next year, I'm stepping up my AFO contributions and I'll be at the AFO Golf Outing and Butler County Steak Fry in June. I have no idea what anyone else is doing, but my commitment is solid to Xavier. Who ever the coach is.

This kinda' reminds me of one of those obnoxious letters you occasionally get with Xmas cards. You know the...….my husband retired this year as a self- made multimillionaire. Always his dream to retire at 40. We split most of our time these days between our chalet in Vail and our house in Turks. Rarely are we at our Manhattan penthouse these day. Our oldest son just graduated from Harvard Medical School at 18...…...

I started to write a long retort to MOR, but then decided not to.

Have a nice summer MOR.
    Last edited by XUGRAD80; 04-01-2020 at 08:24 AM.

Sophomore
    you wear your heart on your sleeve for sure. Enjoy the summer and lets hope that next year is more enjoyable..may not be better record but more enjoyable to watch
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post