Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 82
  1. #31
    Voice of Reason Masterofreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On America's Great North Coast
    Posts
    18,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Final4 View Post
    OMG, JEHARDI is right......you CAN'T help yourself. Another rant. Instead of continually playing the role of armchair quarterback how 'bout telling us in advance what's going to happen next year. Best player(s). Most effective newcomer. Position in the BE. Record. Post season. You seem to have all the answers. I would like to know if I should be looking forward to next season or not.
    And you can't help trying to jump my case. I suppose because you disagree with my opinion and you have to carry water for Steele while dumping on the players. You called me "adolph" whatever the hell that means. I was called out, I'm responding with my answer.
    I was accused of hating Steele. No. I don't hate the man any more than I hate other people who are underachieving. He's done an underachieving job so far with talent. Kyle Castlin who was good at Columbia, then came here and was not so good, is good again and made a D-League roster. Why was that? He obviously has talent, but why wasn't it evidenced here? Why did it take so long for Hankins to play with Tyrique? Why was 2/3 of last year wasted? Why was our offense so damn predictable and hard to watch all year? I sure hate that.
    You just keep passing over the obvious mistakes he has made-Marquette and Butler...mistakes that almost any other coach worth their salt would not have made, and there are many others less obvious as said above. He's getting paid handsomely to do a job well, and he's not doing it well. And it is severely costing the school I love. Yeah, that's what I hate. Oh, and these things I'm pointing out aren't Monday Morning quarterbacking. I've said them to my text partners during games and my seat mate at Cintas in real time. As to next year, if you can tell me who's coming and coming back, maybe we can analyze, but who knows?

    Finally, as to Don James. We really don't know what he could have produced with regular playing time because he never got it. Carter kept getting all the minutes. It's a whole lot different when a player knows he has the confidence of his coach and he can play more free and easy without always looking over his shoulder. I don't think James ever got a fair shake just like I think that other players have not been used properly to maximize their potential. That's it.
    Last edited by Masterofreality; 03-25-2020 at 04:17 PM.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

  2. #32
    Supporting Member XU 87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,577
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Kyle Castlin who was good at Columbia, then came here and was not so good, is good again and made a D-League roster. Why was that? He obviously has talent, but why wasn't it evidenced here?
    Kyle Castlin averaged 10 ppg on a Columbia team that went 8-19 in his junior year before coming to X. By BE standards, he was average to below average, and it showed in his play.

    But you have now said Steele misused Bishop, Castlin, James and Elias Harden, and that they all should have played more. Is there any bench player Steele hasn't misused or didn't play enough? Keonte Kennedy?
    Last edited by XU 87; 03-25-2020 at 05:24 PM.

  3. #33
    Supporting Member UCGRAD4X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,199
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    And you can't help trying to jump my case. I suppose because you disagree with my opinion and you have to carry water for Steele while dumping on the players. You called me "adolph" whatever the hell that means. I was called out, I'm responding with my answer.
    I was accused of hating Steele. No. I don't hate the man any more than I hate other people who are underachieving. He's done an underachieving job so far with talent. Kyle Castlin who was good at Columbia, then came here and was not so good, is good again and made a D-League roster. Why was that? He obviously has talent, but why wasn't it evidenced here? Why did it take so long for Hankins to play with Tyrique? Why was 2/3 of last year wasted? Why was our offense so damn predictable and hard to watch all year? I sure hate that.
    You just keep passing over the obvious mistakes he has made-Marquette and Butler...mistakes that almost any other coach worth their salt would not have made, and there are many others less obvious as said above. He's getting paid handsomely to do a job well, and he's not doing it well. And it is severely costing the school I love. Yeah, that's what I hate. Oh, and these things I'm pointing out aren't Monday Morning quarterbacking. I've said them to my text partners during games and my seat mate at Cintas in real time. As to next year, if you can tell me who's coming and coming back, maybe we can analyze, but who knows?

    Finally, as to Don James. We really don't know what he could have produced with regular playing time because he never got it. Carter kept getting all the minutes. It's a whole lot different when a player knows he has the confidence of his coach and he can play more free and easy without always looking over his shoulder. I don't think James ever got a fair shake just like I think that other players have not been used properly to maximize their potential. That's it.
    I'm at a bit of a loss where the harsh criticism of MOR is coming from. MOR will tell you that he and I have not seen eye to eye on much of what he offers. I don't think many would disagree that Steele's performance has fallen short of the expectations we had when he was hired. Yes, much of that was just the overall optimistic exuberance we have for the team and the past success with promoting from within. We can disagree with how much Steele is responsible with the overall performance of the team, which also had much higher expectations for which they fell woefully short. There are few certainties (in a time where few if any certainties are available).

    I appreciate that MOR backs up his arguments with information (of which you may or may not agree) and, better yet, with some statistics (of which you can also question the validity, efficacy and application - statistics and damn statistics being what they are). At least it is an area for discussion, or should be, with a level of disagreement, sometimes a very high degree. Feel free to do so. Back it up with arguments and data which we can also question, in the hopes that it furthers the discussion.

    I also think some of the reasons certain players were utilized, or not, is highly speculative, not knowing what goes on behind the scenes. How a player may have succeeded in the future comes with even less certainty.

    Feel free to speculate, disagree, even vehemently. It doesn't need to be personal.
    You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.

  4. #34
    Voice of Reason Masterofreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On America's Great North Coast
    Posts
    18,111
    Quote Originally Posted by UCGRAD4X View Post
    I'm at a bit of a loss where the harsh criticism of MOR is coming from. MOR will tell you that he and I have not seen eye to eye on much of what he offers. I don't think many would disagree that Steele's performance has fallen short of the expectations we had when he was hired. Yes, much of that was just the overall optimistic exuberance we have for the team and the past success with promoting from within. We can disagree with how much Steele is responsible with the overall performance of the team, which also had much higher expectations for which they fell woefully short. There are few certainties (in a time where few if any certainties are available).

    I appreciate that MOR backs up his arguments with information (of which you may or may not agree) and, better yet, with some statistics (of which you can also question the validity, efficacy and application - statistics and damn statistics being what they are). At least it is an area for discussion, or should be, with a level of disagreement, sometimes a very high degree. Feel free to do so. Back it up with arguments and data which we can also question, in the hopes that it furthers the discussion.

    I also think some of the reasons certain players were utilized, or not, is highly speculative, not knowing what goes on behind the scenes. How a player may have succeeded in the future comes with even less certainty.

    Feel free to speculate, disagree, even vehemently. It doesn't need to be personal.
    Since the Covid virus has obviously affected this board, Public reps Brother.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

  5. #35
    Voice of Reason Masterofreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On America's Great North Coast
    Posts
    18,111
    Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    Kyle Castlin averaged 10 ppg on a Columbia team that went 8-19 in his junior year before coming to X. By BE standards, he was average to below average, and it showed in his play.

    But you have now said Steele misused Bishop, Castlin, James and Elias Harden, and that they all should have played more. Is there any bench player Steele hasn't misused or didn't play enough? Keonte Kennedy?
    Kyle Castlin shot 36% from 3 and over 55% from 2 for Columbia. His 3 point % dropped to 29.6% at X. Did he forget how to shoot from March to November?
    He also went from averaging 10.5 ppg to just over 4 for X. Maybe there was better defense in the BE to account for the scoring average drop, but I don’t think a kid forgets how to shoot. Now he’s made a G League roster so obviously he hadn’t forgotten how to shoot.

    All this year everyone was bitching that this X team couldn’t shoot either. Maybe Kyle Castlin was the “Canary in the Coal mine” letting us know that actually it was the scheme that was wrong and guys weren’t worked thru ball movement and screens to be open enough?

    But, yeah. Just keep blaming the players for “Bad IQ”, taking bad shots and excusing the guy who is supposed to make them better and putting them in the best spots to succeed.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

  6. #36
    Supporting Member XU 87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,577
    And when exactly did I say Castlin 1) had a bad basketball IQ or 2) he took bad shots? (I didn't.)

    What I did say was that he was an average player in the Ivy League playing for a bad team, which translates to him being a below average player in the BE. Are you really arguing that his Ivy League stats should have transferred verbatim against much higher competition? Maybe, just maybe, some open threes he made in the Ivy League weren't so open in the BE when playing against taller, faster and more athletic players.

    There's a reason Castlin was in the Ivy League- he had less talent than players in major conferences. He didn't miraculously become more talented by transferring to Xavier.

    Are you still standing by your argument that Steele should have played Harden more, even after he had the miserable year at Jacksonville State? Or did that coach also screw up with his handling of Harden, even though Harden led the team in minutes?
    Last edited by XU 87; 03-25-2020 at 07:45 PM.

  7. #37
    Junior xavierj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    4,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Kyle Castlin shot 36% from 3 and over 55% from 2 for Columbia. His 3 point % dropped to 29.6% at X. Did he forget how to shoot from March to November?
    He also went from averaging 10.5 ppg to just over 4 for X. Maybe there was better defense in the BE to account for the scoring average drop, but I don’t think a kid forgets how to shoot. Now he’s made a G League roster so obviously he hadn’t forgotten how to shoot.

    All this year everyone was bitching that this X team couldn’t shoot either. Maybe Kyle Castlin was the “Canary in the Coal mine” letting us know that actually it was the scheme that was wrong and guys weren’t worked thru ball movement and screens to be open enough?

    But, yeah. Just keep blaming the players for “Bad IQ”, taking bad shots and excusing the guy who is supposed to make them better and putting them in the best spots to succeed.
    He went from playing D2 quality teams to the Big East. That’s all you need to know as far as his numbers go. Guys playing bad competition will have better numbers, it’s just reality. Open looks against Brown became a guy in your face not letting you get clean looks. And how did he do in the G league this year, which is not great basketball by the way.

    Just checked and in his brief G league stint he went 1-9 from 3.
    Last edited by xavierj; 03-25-2020 at 07:46 PM.

  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Kyle Castlin shot 36% from 3 and over 55% from 2 for Columbia. His 3 point % dropped to 29.6% at X. Did he forget how to shoot from March to November?
    He also went from averaging 10.5 ppg to just over 4 for X. Maybe there was better defense in the BE to account for the scoring average drop, but I don’t think a kid forgets how to shoot. Now he’s made a G League roster so obviously he hadn’t forgotten how to shoot.

    All this year everyone was bitching that this X team couldn’t shoot either. Maybe Kyle Castlin was the “Canary in the Coal mine” letting us know that actually it was the scheme that was wrong and guys weren’t worked thru ball movement and screens to be open enough?

    But, yeah. Just keep blaming the players for “Bad IQ”, taking bad shots and excusing the guy who is supposed to make them better and putting them in the best spots to succeed.
    Kyle Castlin is averaging 4.6ppg and shooting 11% from 3 in the nba gleague.. yeah Steele was really holding back a monster

  9. #39
    Supporting Member XU 87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,577
    Quote Originally Posted by xufan2020 View Post
    Kyle Castlin is averaging 4.6ppg and shooting 11% from 3 in the nba gleague.. yeah Steele was really holding back a monster
    Clearly his G league coach 1) isn’t using him properly and 2) doesn’t know how to run an offense. There’s no other explanation.

  10. #40
    Supporting Member AviatorX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,619
    Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    Kyle Castlin averaged 10 ppg on a Columbia team that went 8-19 in his junior year before coming to X. By BE standards, he was average to below average, and it showed in his play.

    But you have now said Steele misused Bishop, Castlin, James and Elias Harden, and that they all should have played more. Is there any bench player Steele hasn't misused or didn't play enough? Keonte Kennedy?
    Bishop, Castlin, James, Harden and Kennedy. Throw in Ryan Welage and MOR could have that team at 10-8 in this year's Big East.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •