Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast

Recruiting Top Transfers

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...020-21-2021-22

Here's an updated transfer list that covers the current situation in detail. It's early, but hard to find any solid Xavier possibilities here, although several other Big East teams are linked to some of the top guys. I guess we will be ok without one for next year but an experienced big would certainly be a plus.

That said, I thought a discussion on our recent success (BE era) in recruiting productive transfers would be a good one...especially in comparison to other BE teams. IMO, we have been at/near the bottom of the conference in getting players that make any serious impact. Yes, I realize that Hankins/Kanter finished strong and Bernard did that Bernard thing but other than Big Stain, we've landed no one close to a Struss, Paschal, Yurt, Figgy or even a Charlie Moore/Pipkins/McEwen type that can start, eat up minutes and provide some all conference type play.

What these players have in common is that they are not "one and dones" and it looks like the other coaches go after those guys by design. Where as, other than Carter, X has recently used the transfer system strictly for role players.

Transfers have become much more a part of the high D1 landscape. X needs to hit a home run at some point. But hey, if Steele can continue to bring in Top 100 freshman the situation becomes much less necessary.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 03-19-2020 at 03:57 AM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...020-21-2021-22

Here's an updated transfer list that covers the current situation in detail. It's early, but hard to find any solid Xavier possibilities here, although several other Big East teams are linked to some of the top guys. I guess we will be ok without one for next year but an experienced big would certainly be a plus.

That said, I thought a discussion on our recent success (BE era) in recruiting productive transfers would be a good one...especially in comparison to other BE teams. IMO, we have been at/near the bottom of the conference in getting players that make any serious impact. Yes, I realize that Hankins/Kanter finished strong and Bernard did that Bernard thing but other than Big Stain, we've landed no one close to a Struss, Paschal, Yurt, Figgy or even a Charlie Moore/Pipkins/McEwen type that can start, eat up minutes and provide some all conference type play.

What these players have in common is that they are not "one and dones" and it looks like the other coaches go after those guys by design. Where as, other than Carter, X has recently used the transfer system strictly for role players.

Transfers have become much more a part of the high D1 landscape. X needs to hit a home run at some point. But hey, if Steele can continue to bring in Top 100 freshman the situation becomes much less necessary.
    Xavier is recruiting a couple of these guys. I think Xavier has a good shot at Jamarius Burton. I think they will talk to Marfo as they recruited him before and the Landers kid from Virginia Tech once was recruited by Jonas and was committed to Georgia, so you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    Xavier is recruiting a couple of these guys. I think Xavier has a good shot at Jamarius Burton. I think they will talk to Marfo as they recruited him before and the Landers kid from Virginia Tech once was recruited by Jonas and was committed to Georgia, so you never know.
    Yes. At least according to 247( 2 days ago). Steele is in on Marfo.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247spor...145108032/Amp/

Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    Yes. At least according to 247( 2 days ago). Steele is in on Marfo.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247spor...145108032/Amp/
    Burton is following Travis and Jonas on Twitter. I think Travis is the only head coach he is following.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    Burton is following Travis and Jonas on Twitter. I think Travis is the only head coach he is following.
    Thanks for the update. Good news. We can use all of the solid options we can get.

He just finished his sophomore year and it’s not like he is playing for some mediocre mid major team that never gets to the dance. Do you know the story behind why he wants to transfer?
    Last edited by IM4X; 03-19-2020 at 01:32 PM.

Do you know the story behind why he wants to transfer?
    I just think he and the head coach don't see eye to eye. For better and for worse, Travis Steele and Gregg Marshall are not at all similar animals.

Thanks for the update. Good news. We can use all of the solid options we can get.

He just finished his sophomore year and it’s not like he is playing for some mediocre mid major team that never gets to the dance. Do you know the story behind why he wants to transfer?
    "Solid" obviously including this: "I have a high IQ and know how to play the game.”
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I just think he and the head coach don't see eye to eye. For better and for worse, Travis Steele and Gregg Marshall are not at all similar animals.
    What’s your take on Burton?

Quote Originally Posted by noteggs View Post
    What’s your take on Burton?
    He's really good, and I hope he ends up at Xavier. He was probably WSU's best underclassman.

Here's the list of schools I see interested from a quick Google search: Arizona, Illinois, NC State, Arkansas, Pitt and Marquette. So he's definitely got the right kind of interest.
    Last edited by GoMuskies; 03-19-2020 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    It just seems a bit strange. I mean he seems to be getting playing time and doing pretty well as far as points, especially being that he is only a sophomore. Usually when you think about a player not seeing eye to eye with your coach it means his role has been reduced significantly. I thought maybe he wanted to be a little closer to home, but then X wouldn’t exactly be near his home in North Carolina.