Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Sophomore
    With the current situation of players of all schools being at home, and not around their coaches, schools, or teammates, their may be massive movement. Especially if the sit out requirement is eliminated. As someone said, who wants to spend 2 years on the bench to earn their way onto the floor?
    Also lots of "agents" in older players ears telling them " time to go" Hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    Having at least one transfer being a senior would be nice, especially if we aren’t sure that both Naji or Paul is coming back. I am all for having several seniors on the team for leadership and because they will likely leave it all out on the floor for their last season of eligibility.
    Out of Steele's 4 senior transfers, only 1 comes close to the expected influence/effect you describe. IMO out of the 6 transfers that coach has brought in, he's wiffed on 5 barring a totally different Carter in the fall. Granted, Mack left the cupboard bare in 2018. Steele had to scramble to fill a roster AND obviously he and the staffs energy have been prioritized in landing those amazing freshman classes.

However, 2 years in should yield a more balanced appoach. This off season is a perfect opportunity to improve his grade in this area as the need for an impact transfer or 2 will be critical if Carter is the lone SR.

On a side note, Butler takes a hit.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...er/ar-BB11wnID
    Last edited by Xuperman; 03-23-2020 at 08:15 AM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

I think Tate from here in Spartanburg will fill in for the departing Battle with no problem.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

I want Marfo. He has Tyrique's approval.
    "Xavier born and Xavier bred, and when I am gone I will be Xavier Dead!"
    NJ!NP! 8/30/12

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    Out of Steele's 4 senior transfers, only 1 comes close to the expected influence/effect you describe. IMO out of the 6 transfers that coach has brought in, he's wiffed on 5 barring a totally different Carter in the fall. Granted, Mack left the cupboard bare in 2018. Steele had to scramble to fill a roster AND obviously he and the staffs energy have been prioritized in landing those amazing freshman classes.

However, 2 years in should yield a more balanced appoach. This off season is a perfect opportunity to improve his grade in this area as the need for an impact transfer or 2 will be critical if Carter is the lone SR.

I honestly dont think Carter is a wiff. Probably he would be moreso if he was a 1 year guy instead of 2.

We probably had higher expectations for him than we should have but I think he will be a solid contributor next year. A guy who got a season to get his feet wet in Xavier's system and in BE basketball and now gets to come back for another year.
    "Iím willing to sacrifice everything for this team. Iím going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. Iím going to play harder than Iíve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Supporting Member
    I thought Welage and Castlin were OK. It seemed whenever a starter or 2 were out (IUPUI, Detroit Mercy, Oakland, St Johns) they would always up their game but the Core 4 has such ingrained patterns and minutes it was hard to break though. On Senior Day against ST johns(no Naj) in a must win they broke open a 2 pt game with 8 min to go with the last 19 points in a shockingly flawless effort(I won't erase the DVR). Moore could never get going and frankly we did not win our early "easy games" by enough to work him in.

Voice of Reason Masterofreality's Avatar
    Does Chris Cantino have any eligibility left.

(There is zero reason for this post other than I wanted to bring Cantino's name up again) :-)
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Voice of Reason Masterofreality's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whopper View Post
    I thought Welage and Castlin were OK. It seemed whenever a starter or 2 were out (IUPUI, Detroit Mercy, Oakland, St Johns) they would always up their game but the Core 4 has such ingrained patterns and minutes it was hard to break though. On Senior Day against ST johns(no Naj) in a must win they broke open a 2 pt game with 8 min to go with the last 19 points in a shockingly flawless effort(I won't erase the DVR). Moore could never get going and frankly we did not win our early "easy games" by enough to work him in.
    Castlin absolutely saved the Butler game at home for us last year. And he did make a GLeague roster.
    Another example of not using your guys most effectively?
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post

Seems like it is possible Battle might have been a little overrated coming out of HS.

I am not sure I personally would call the transfers we have had over the past two years complete whiffs. While there were some clear signs that some may have been liabilities at this level in some ways, most at least brought a skill set that was badly needed and pretty much all of the transfers did help the team in some way.

Welage for instance was certainly not a lock down defender, but he did help the team win some games with his three point shooting (as well as his inside game at times) and he got better as the season wore on. I can not call him a whiff for those reasons.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wa-bzLiZXjI

Carter has struggled in a number of areas and in no way should have been counted on to play as many minutes as he has his first of year. Unfortunately he was forced to play more due to Ramsey’s injury and Steele’s choice to redshirt Miles - Something up until a few weeks ago I was upset about. Now I am left having to walk back what I said and admit it was a brilliant “stoke of luck” move for Steele that he sat him this season.

Note: I do not in any way mean to suggest it is lucky that this awful virus situation has happened, just that X still wouldn’t be able play in the NCAA tournament this year (even if Miles made the team better).

The other two guys not named Hankins, probably did not quite live up to expectation (at least by most fan’s standard). Still those players both had some solid minutes (and big time games in Castlin’s case). Unfortunately, they both scored much less often than they were expected too. That was a problem and it really hurt the team. I am not sure if that blame is more on those two or on Travis (and to some extent us fans) for expecting them to be able to play at a higher level.

Who is the sixth transfer I am missing? I know we are not talking about Kanter. He was obviously a huge get.

We certainly could use a Hankins/Kanter type transfer. I don’t know if Morfo is quite at that level, but he seems worth the risk, since we will be adding Miles and possibly Ramsey too.

i do think Carter has a higher ceiling. I swear he came in knowing he’d have to play faster in the BE. Unfortunately, he appears to have played so nervously that he was moving TOO fast on offense. How else can one explain why most of his layups bang hard off of the backboard instead of falling softly into the basket. He also seems to be nervous when holding the ball in the paint - like he is waiting for bully kids at school to take his lunch. He needs to relax just a tad and become the bully. At least he has calmed down from outside, hitting more of his 3s towards the end of the season. I believe he will havr at least 25% more confidence next year and and be better because of it.
    Last edited by IM4X; 03-23-2020 at 11:02 PM.

Freshman
    Alex OíConnell from Duke is transferring. He is from Georgia so I wonder if there are any connections with Hayes.