Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 495
  1. #191
    Supporting Member GoMuskies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    28,255
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    What most have said is they were tired of the one mistake rule where If you make a mistake, you were coming out. They said it was a confidence killer and they were tired of looking over their shoulder and playing tentatively.
    I think it was just Stevenson who said that, and he's a huge pussy and sucks.

  2. #192
    Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    169
    Sounds like we are still after another transfer. The guard and center from Wichita state both have us in their final list.

  3. #193
    Supporting Member GoMuskies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    28,255
    Quote Originally Posted by xuphan View Post
    Sounds like we are still after another transfer. The guard and center from Wichita state both have us in their final list.
    The ONLY way I want Udeze is if he's a package deal with Burton somehow. He is not good.

  4. #194
    Junior
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,545
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    And, if they get rid of the "sit out one year rule", this will FOR sure be adopted by a few coaches. Why waste time recruiting kids in HS? Just openly let everyone know that you are interested in building a new roster each year with proven, productive college transfers. It's Calipari on steroids.
    Most of the time the guys that are transferring are not proven or productive, especially at high level. I don't know that a team could be successful going after that type of player. Only way I could see a program seeing minimal success is a low tier power 5 program who goes after mid-major guys who show promise. They may be better for them than a typical HS recruit.

  5. #195
    Junior xavierj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    4,437
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    The ONLY way I want Udeze is if he's a package deal with Burton somehow. He is not good.
    I really don't think Xavier is recruiting Udeze all that hard. I think he has some upside as he was coming off shoulder surgery this season that also cut his freshman season short, but my guess is that he goes to Minnesota and I think Burton will go to Texas Tech or Seton hall. I don't think Xavier is pushing too hard on Burton either. I like him but I get the feeling that Travis is OK with what he has and what he has coming in as well as waiting until next year to see what he can get in the 21 class, and maybe a transfer after next season when they remove the sit out requirement. I could be wrong but reading between the lines on these guys.

  6. #196
    Sophomore MHettel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,842
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    Most of the time the guys that are transferring are not proven or productive, especially at high level. I don't know that a team could be successful going after that type of player. Only way I could see a program seeing minimal success is a low tier power 5 program who goes after mid-major guys who show promise. They may be better for them than a typical HS recruit.
    Yes, you are right. Most guys that transfer are not proven or productive. And they likely don't foresee a chance to overcome that so sitting out a year to get into a better situation isn't that big of a deal. They probably wouldn't play anyway.

    But, if the "sit out a year" rule were to be revoked the entire premise of your argument is disrupted. Guys that are far outplaying the rest of their teammates might just consider if they could do some more winning and get some more exposure elsewhere. Or guys in GOOD situations might just decide to transfer into an ELITE situation. Imagine: David West decides to come back his senior year and play....At UNC. Or Jameer Nelson decides that UCLA is better for him than St. Joes. Or guys like Chris Monroe or Rasual Butler or any of those A10 guys that used to light us up decided to move on to a bigger program...

    Now, look at Ja Morant. Averaged 12.7, 6.5, 6.3 as a Freshman. Obviously thought coming back as a soph was his best option. BUT, if he had the option to go ANYWHERE he wanted, do you really think he returns to Murray State? If he's says he's coming back, and declares "free agency" how many schools do you think would have offered him?

    There are approx. 345 NCAA D1 teams. This would DECIMATE the bottom 2/3rds for sure. They would become a minor league for the top 1/3. AND if they went back to allowing HS players to jump right to the NBA, then some of the BIG TIME programs probably wouldn't even bother recruiting the HS ranks. That's a shit ton of work, and low success rate. Just scout the Freshman playing at other programs and poach them.

    Now, take this even FURTHER. Imagine Athletic Directors that decide which Coach to hire based on the ability of that Coach to potentially bring a handful of immediately eligible players with him. Lets say Mack goes to UofL and Tyrique, Naji and Scruggs follow him. We are GUTTED. Elias Harden and Dontarious James would NOT transfer in that scenario. Ironic, cause those are the guys that SHOULD transfer. Lets say XU puts together a solid year next year with 2 good young recruiting classes. The outlook is GREAT for the next 2 years.....then some "big time" program that has been scuttling along (IU, Syracuse, UCLA, etc) with an AD on the hot seat decides "fuck it." And just fires his coach to grab Steele and our roster....

    This is a DISASTER idea.

  7. #197
    Junior xavierj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    4,437
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    Yes, you are right. Most guys that transfer are not proven or productive. And they likely don't foresee a chance to overcome that so sitting out a year to get into a better situation isn't that big of a deal. They probably wouldn't play anyway.

    But, if the "sit out a year" rule were to be revoked the entire premise of your argument is disrupted. Guys that are far outplaying the rest of their teammates might just consider if they could do some more winning and get some more exposure elsewhere. Or guys in GOOD situations might just decide to transfer into an ELITE situation. Imagine: David West decides to come back his senior year and play....At UNC. Or Jameer Nelson decides that UCLA is better for him than St. Joes. Or guys like Chris Monroe or Rasual Butler or any of those A10 guys that used to light us up decided to move on to a bigger program...

    Now, look at Ja Morant. Averaged 12.7, 6.5, 6.3 as a Freshman. Obviously thought coming back as a soph was his best option. BUT, if he had the option to go ANYWHERE he wanted, do you really think he returns to Murray State? If he's says he's coming back, and declares "free agency" how many schools do you think would have offered him?

    There are approx. 345 NCAA D1 teams. This would DECIMATE the bottom 2/3rds for sure. They would become a minor league for the top 1/3. AND if they went back to allowing HS players to jump right to the NBA, then some of the BIG TIME programs probably wouldn't even bother recruiting the HS ranks. That's a shit ton of work, and low success rate. Just scout the Freshman playing at other programs and poach them.

    Now, take this even FURTHER. Imagine Athletic Directors that decide which Coach to hire based on the ability of that Coach to potentially bring a handful of immediately eligible players with him. Lets say Mack goes to UofL and Tyrique, Naji and Scruggs follow him. We are GUTTED. Elias Harden and Dontarious James would NOT transfer in that scenario. Ironic, cause those are the guys that SHOULD transfer. Lets say XU puts together a solid year next year with 2 good young recruiting classes. The outlook is GREAT for the next 2 years.....then some "big time" program that has been scuttling along (IU, Syracuse, UCLA, etc) with an AD on the hot seat decides "fuck it." And just fires his coach to grab Steele and our roster....

    This is a DISASTER idea.
    The transfer rule of not having to sit out is definitely going to happen. Itís going to get crazy with guys transferring left and right. The main reason it will happen is that people are pushing that itís unfair (racist) not not allow football and basketball players (not sure on baseball), to transfer without sitting out, while you can transfer and play other sports right away like golf and tennis (white sports). I didnít know not all sports didnít have a transfer sit out rule.

  8. #198
    Sophomore MHettel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,842
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    The transfer rule of not having to sit out is definitely going to happen. It’s going to get crazy with guys transferring left and right. The main reason it will happen is that people are pushing that it’s unfair (racist) not not allow football and basketball players (not sure on baseball), to transfer without sitting out, while you can transfer and play other sports right away like golf and tennis (white sports). I didn’t know not all sports didn’t have a transfer sit out rule.
    This is nonsense. The presumptions that "golf and tennis are white sports" and that "football and basketball are black sports" is racist to begin with. How do you build a case to prove racism, when your starting premise is racist.

    I don't get it.

  9. #199
    Junior xavierj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    4,437
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    This is nonsense. The presumptions that "golf and tennis are white sports" and that "football and basketball are black sports" is racist to begin with. How do you build a case to prove racism, when your starting premise is racist.

    I don't get it.
    I agree but thatís a lot of what is being pushed on the back end. I am sure a lot of coaches donít want the rule change but no one wants the race card to be played because of it not being approved. The easiest thing to do is make the rules the same for all sports.

  10. #200
    Sophomore MHettel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,842
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    I agree but that’s a lot of what is being pushed on the back end. I am sure a lot of coaches don’t want the rule change but no one wants the race card to be played because of it not being approved. The easiest thing to do is make the rules the same for all sports.
    Ok. Then have Tennis transfers sit out a year. I'm sure there will be an uproar that nobody will care about.

    Honestly, creating a situation where all players are free agents every year is a disaster and will destroy any competitive balance that remains

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •