Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post

As far as casting a wide net.....according to Verbal Commits, Xavier has actually only offered 4 transfers, and Morris is the only “big”, the other 3 are all guards. There is a big difference between showing interest and actually offering a scholarship contract.

I will also point out that Steele really doesn’t have much choice about the need to recruit some transfers. The recruiting classes that the prior administration left him are anything but stellar. In fact it’s most likely that next years squad will only have 1 senior and no juniors that were actually recruits out of HS. So not only will next years team be lacking upperclassman with 3-4 years in the program, so will the next years squad. He has to try and bring some players in that can offer some leadership and experience at the college level. I hardly think that Steele can be blamed for the lack of TALENTED upperclassman with experience in the Xavier program and in the Big East.

I wasn’t criticizing him when I suggested Steele was casting a wide net. I wasn’t even suggesting that meant he was offering everyone when he reached out to them.

I am pretty sure he has reached out to more than 1 big, since articles about various transferring forwards/centers mention Xavier as one of the schools that has reached out.

Finally, I don’t know why this always seems to come back to “Steele shouldn’t be blamed” with you. Who is blaming him here? I know I’m not. I am open to bringing in multiple transfers as long as they are legit BE level talents.
    Last edited by IM4X; 03-25-2020 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    I wasn’t criticizing him when I suggested Steele was casting a wide net. I wasn’t even suggesting that meant he was offering everyone when he reached out to them.

I am pretty sure he has reached out to more than 1 big, since articles about various transferring forwards/centers mention Xavier as one of the schools that has reached out.

Finally, I don’t know why this always seems to come back to “Steele shouldn’t be blamed” with you. Who is blaming him here? I know I’m not. I am open to bringing in multiple transfers as long as they are legit BE level talents.
    Sorry if you took it that way, it certainly wasn’t meant as a direct response to you. If I quote someone then it’s a direct response.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    I think they are looking for guys to make an impact. They are going after some guys that a lot of big time programs want as well. The guy from Bowling Green people say he will be the best player on most power 5 teams. Now if that's the case not sure why he doesn't just test the NBA waters since he is 22. I doubt Xavier has much of shot with him though. He was on a POD and mentioned Louisville, Missouri, Georgia and Arkansas coaches that have been really hands on with him so far, didn't mention X at that point. When asked if any coaches recruiting him now had when he was in high school, since he didn't have many offers, and he said coach Steele, from Xzavier... talked to him a little but never offered but no one else.
    Justin Turner is the BG player you're thinking of.

Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    Player of the year for his conference.

Averaged 20+ points a game.

He is from Cincinnati.

He dreamed of playing for X.

X marks the spot. Reel him in Travis.
    Yeah, I'm with you on that, I don't think it matters with what we're bringing back guard wise, if you have someone that has some talent like that and is interested, I think you gotta take him.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Xville...look at the roster

Scruggs
    Carter
    Freemantle
    Tandy
    Ramsey....sophomore with no playing time
    Miles.....red shirt
    Hansen....walk-on
    Odom....freshman
    Welcher....freshman
    Jones...freshman

3 are freshman, 2 are sophomores with no game experience, 1 is a walk-on. Only 4 players with any real playing experience. 10 total. That’s hardly even enough to have a good practice, especially if anyone gets hurt or sick. Really really thin in the front court too. They are going to take their lumps no matter what, but I don’t see any reason not to use at least 2 of the 3/4 open scholarships. If nothing else it gives them more depth. Most would be freshman are already signed for elsewhere, especially quality ones that X could get. But there are plenty of potentially good quality transfers out there.
    I think it's more than likely that Scruggs doesn't come back. Does anyone know if a grad transfer can transfer twice? If so, we could lose Carter too and that leaves very little experience on the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
    I think it's more than likely that Scruggs doesn't come back. Does anyone know if a grad transfer can transfer twice? If so, we could lose Carter too and that leaves very little experience on the roster.
    Carter will 100% be back. I think Scruggs is 99% back FWIW. I think this will be Scruggs team and I think he and Steele want that. I think you will see a starting lineup of Tandy, Scruggs, Free, Carter and either Colby Jones or a possible transfer in the starting lineup. With Odom, Miles, Wilcher, Ramsey (if healthy) and another transfer coming off the bench. If they get a transfer who can start, then Colby Jones will be coming off the bench. An 8 or 9 man rotation would work fine and the young guys will get a lot of time to learn on the job. That lineup can be pretty competitive especially if Scruggs plays like he is capable and Free and Tandy make the big sophomore jump.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
    I think Scruggs is coming back. Why would Carter leave? Do you mean if Scruggs left too and he felt the team couldnt make the tourney? Does anyone think Carter inspired enough for a sure fire tourney team from a major conference to offer him a spot? I think Carter could be a key piece for us next year given our makeup but would another for sure tourney team next year feel that way?
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    I think Scruggs is coming back. Why would Carter leave? Do you mean if Scruggs left too and he felt the team couldnt make the tourney? Does anyone think Carter inspired enough for a sure fire tourney team from a major conference to offer him a spot? I think Carter could be a key piece for us next year given our makeup but would another for sure tourney team next year feel that way?
    Well Carter transferred once apparently to play in the tournament, My question is not suggesting that he would transfer, but would NCAA rules allow. He already has a degree from the "Harvard on the Hocking".

Sophomore
    Xavier also showing interest in the following transfers

Guard: Tyrese Martin from Rhode Island. Averaged around 10 points per game.

Guard: Anthony Roberts from Kent State. Averaged around 10 points per game.

Every time I hear of someone going into the "transfer portal," I keep thinking it's some sort of sci-fi deal.

Maybe they come out the other side in an alternative universe, and magically play better.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.