Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    Obviously different competition but Flavors shot almost 44% from 3 last year. Turner is a career 37% three shooter, 37% for three straight years. Looks like Buggs shot 26% each of last two years. That’s a trend that I don’t think Xavier needs.
    Brad Redford would have shot 65% in college if he was open. The problem was, he couldn't get open all that often.

That's the risk with some of these lower level players. You can't fall in love with a 44% 3-point stat as they were likely getting these shots against DRASTICALLY less athletic opponents.

And what the hell is Cal Baptist? Sounds like a rec league.

Sophomore
    This was posted by Jeff Goodman

He is the 20th ranked immediately eligible transfer in the country according to this site.

20) Ferron Flavors Jr., 6-3, 190, SG, RS Jr., Cal Baptist
    Stats: 13.5 ppg, 3.5 rpg
    Scout’s take: “Elite shooter with deep range, and a good one-dribble pull-up. He actually shoots a higher percentage when the shot is contested. Needs to think the game better, and give more of an effort on defense but can really help a team offensively.”
    Schools: Xavier, Oklahoma State, Washington State, USC, BYU, Pacific, Utah State, Arkansas, Maryland, Georgia Tech, Detroit, Portland State, Loyola Chicago, Wichita State, Wake Forest, Missouri

Looks like he can play a little. Led Fairfield to the MAAC championship game a couple of years ago.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FWEvDH6Dk4Y

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    Brad Redford would have shot 65% in college if he was open. The problem was, he couldn't get open all that often.

That's the risk with some of these lower level players. You can't fall in love with a 44% 3-point stat as they were likely getting these shots against DRASTICALLY less athletic opponents.

And what the hell is Cal Baptist? Sounds like a rec league.
    This cannot end well.

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever View Post
    This cannot end well.
    I'm guessing these coaches know more than me (I'm positive of that), I'm just playing the percentages here. These type of players rarely have a huge impact when the leap is this big.

Yes, Hankins was D2, but he was the POY in D2. The best D2 programs are likely better than most of the lowest level D1 programs in the MAAC.

But like I said, I'm just playing the percentages here. This doesn't give me good feelings knowing the lack of depth coming back next year.

If it was a situation where it was a reinforcement for a team with a solid foundation, I'd feel better about it.

It may just be the corona phase, but I'm kind of worried about the next couple years of Xavier basketball. I just hope the wheels start to turn like they did for Matta, Miller, and Mack.
    Last edited by drudy23; 03-27-2020 at 09:24 PM.

“needs to think the game better“.

Cal Baptist. Fairfield.

I am done, but then what do I know.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post

Cal Baptist. Fairfield.

..and give more of an effort on defense...

no thanks
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post

Cal Baptist. Fairfield.

I had never heard of Cal Baptist either but looks like they won 21 games and finished 2nd in the WAC. For comparison of former transfers, the strength of schedule he faced at Fairfield and Cal Baptist was much stronger than Malcolm Bernard at Charleston Southern & Florida A&M and comparable to what Kyle Castlin faced at Columbia, but he has been a much more consistent and better three point shooter than either of those guys were prior to Xavier.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Cal Baptist is a transitional team that won't be eligible for the NCAA Tournament until 2022-23.

Sophomore
    I just don’t see him being more than a 5-10 minute bench player here against Big East competition. If he is going to play a significant role on this team then this team is in trouble next year.