Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    You mean the school can't just pay itself for an extra couple scholly's? The whole debate around scholarship cost to school is so hilariously funny to me. Schools just moving money from one account to another lol.
    It's not just moving money from one university account to another if they've got another student to fill the spot who would actually pay.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    It's not just moving money from one university account to another if they've got another student to fill the spot who would actually pay.
    True. If one baseball senior stays another year will XU not let in 1 student they otherwise would have though?
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    True. If one baseball senior stays another year will XU not let in 1 student they otherwise would have though?
    No, but if 6 baseball seniors do, 8 total men's and women's tennis players stay, 3 golfers, etc., then it's going to cost the university some money (assuming the athletes are on some sort of scholarship).

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    No, but if 6 baseball seniors do, 8 total men's and women's tennis players stay, 3 golfers, etc., then it's going to cost the university some money (assuming the athletes are on some sort of scholarship).
    Yeah, do they stay in on campus housing though? I would think that would be the biggest reason they couldnt accept kids they otherwise would.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

I wonder how many athletes this affects. How many seniors are there on the various spring teams - maybe 0? And of those, how many will come back for a full year of school just to play a sport in the spring? I'm guessing a fair amount may already have jobs lined up, or may be going to grad school somewhere else.

I guess the only effect it would have from the school's standpoint would be on campus housing. A couple more students in a class would't be a real hardship and there is no increased cost to the school other than food unless they had to find more housing. It's not like they'd have to hire more professors or staff.

It may seem like it should be just a simple matter of moving funds from one department to another, but unfortunately it’s not quite that simple. Not saying it can’t be done, but there are going to be several bookkeeping steps that need to be made. This is probably less complex for a private school like X, but the public universities have additional rules and laws to deal with, as they are publicly owned and operated. And yes, there are the additional real costs involved in housing, food, travel, insurance, etc. that come about as rosters are enlarged, that need to be accounted for. It may not be a huge number of people that are involved, as most spring sports already have pretty small numbers of allowed scholarships. Still, it is something that will need to be worked out, and I’m confident that it will be.