Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    Me too.
    Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    At least they made up for it on the offensive end. I would be okay with a bit of decline on defense if we had another JP and Trevon coming in next year.
    Me three.

(who's next?)
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

I don’t see where many of those players are great individual defenders. None of them are great shot blockers or ball hawks. None of them were lockdown defenders either. But, they were all (with the possible exception of Moore) knowledgable about the team defense concepts that Steele uses. They all had to learn that, and that takes time. I have no doubt that Zack and KyKy have the ability to learn the system, as they have already shown they can. They should be better next year. Miles might well be a difference maker as a shot blocker, as he was known to be one in HS. I hope that Carter will be better next year after getting a full year under his belt. I don’t believe that Scruggs is going anywhere. We don’t know what Ramsey can offer, and we have no idea what the 3 freshman and any transfers may bring to the table. But I think it is safe to say that it will take them some time before they can play defense at an elite level.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    KyKy couldn't learn defense. Maybe he will get better. Macura and Trevon were awful defenders but what can you do?
    Hope X can defend next year like Virginia.
    Macura and Trevon were physically limited in quick foot speed. Macura was actually great at the top of the 1-3-1 zone we played and very good off the ball. Both were fundamentally sound but just not effective in man-to-man situations. I would like to think KyKy could be an effective defender given his physical abilities and that Zach would do better over time. Zach seems to mostly struggle in the paint where he gets out muscled and out jumped. I didn't think he was that bad guarding 4 types out away from the basket.

Defense is almost certainly going to suffer., especially on the inside where it seems to take longer. Hope some serious work in the weight room at least will give them a fighting chance. I wonder if a little more zone could be in the offing against certain match-ups.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

With COVID-19's impact on all of sports, I'm wondering if we see a development where Naji Marshall does stay at Xavier for his senior season.

I say this because he can't really count on any G League/overseas opportunities, much less the NBA, in the near term due to shut downs.

Guys might be training still, but it won't be the same sort of organized effort.

Teams will be less likely to take chances on someone not screaming with the talent to be drafted, nor will they be holding workout events for some time. (That's my guess anyway.)

If basketball is not an opportunity, Marshall and his family have to think about his future. That could mean staying at Xavier, get his education for free, and network towards an alternate career path.

His college eligibility is there. The window to play professionally is small, and getting smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    With COVID-19's impact on all of sports, I'm wondering if we see a development where Naji Marshall does stay at Xavier for his senior season.

I say this because he can't really count on any G League/overseas opportunities, much less the NBA, in the near term due to shut downs.

Guys might be training still, but it won't be the same sort of organized effort.

Teams will be less likely to take chances on someone not screaming with the talent to be drafted, nor will they be holding workout events for some time. (That's my guess anyway.)

If basketball is not an opportunity, Marshall and his family have to think about his future. That could mean staying at Xavier, get his education for free, and network towards an alternate career path.

His college eligibility is there. The window to play professionally is small, and getting smaller.
    Welp. Here's the interesting thing to watch.
    The NCAA is considering letting players who transfer not have to wait a year to play again, but let them have immediate eligibility at their new school.
    Assuming that development occurs, if Naji Marshall had developed a toxic relationship with the coaching staff, and knowing that his boys Tyrique and Q are gone, it might be reasonable to assume that he enters the transfer portal. Possibly Scruggy too if that toxicity had spread to Paul.
    If they both come back, even after going through any NBA analysis, then that report by Broering about a coach tweeting about iish is total BS. If they both, or at least if Naji leaves, then it probably had legs.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

All-Conference
    Steele didn't put in any accountability for Naji this year, why would it happen next year?

I know Naji is our best player, but it would seem to be better for the team that he just moves on.

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    Steele didn't put in any accountability for Naji this year, why would it happen next year?

I know Naji is our best player, but it would seem to be better for the team that he just moves on.
    It’s called having a “come to Jesus meeting” with Naji.

As I mentioned in another thread, this will be season #3 for Travis. It is time for him to fully assert his will and his structure and his culture on the program.

Naji needs to understand who is boss, if he is having trouble understanding that presently.
    X A V I E R

I don't follow Rick Broering so I have no idea what you are talking about.

Maybe it would be better if Marshall moved on. But if he wanted to stay, I doubt the coaching staff would pull his scholly or ask him to leave. What I'm saying is, because of circumstances no one in his world even had on the radar three weeks ago, he might choose a change of heart and stay.

Having an experienced senior who's won some games, albeit frustrating many times, is not something you shy away from.

Oh, Sir, I totally agree.
    I was referring to another thread that talked about Broering being on the radio and supposedly referencing some fight between a player and the coaching staff. I don’t follow Broering anymore either but if what he was referring to is true the transfer rule change gives Naji another option.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell