Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How many of our best defenders are returning

This is a concern that many have to be wondering about.

Best defenders:
    Naji
    Scruggs
    Jones
    Moore
    Q?

All may be gone next year.

Are we going to have a Swiss cheese defense?

Are any newcomers supposed to be good at defense.

We had better hope our incoming freshmen prove they can score.

Is anyone not concerned about next year’s defense?

Junior
    Give me some scorers and shooters, and I can teach them defense. I'm tired of watching guys who can't shoot. Great defense is fine, but if you can't shoot from range in todays basketball, you're in trouble.

Freshman
    Am I missing something? Is the season over?
    You can't spell sUCks without UC!

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    Am I missing something? Is the season over?
    I certainly hope not. I hope Scruggs can go next game and if he can’t, I sure hope we see some better play out of Q and Moore and everyone else ups their game.

Just thinking a bit about who we are likely losing after this year and how much of a drop off we might see on the defensive end as a result of it.

Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    This is a concern that many have to be wondering about.

Best defenders:
    Naji
    Scruggs
    Jones
    Moore
    Q?

All may be gone next year.

Are we going to have a Swiss cheese defense?

Are any newcomers supposed to be good at defense.

We had better hope our incoming freshmen prove they can score.

Is anyone not concerned about next year’s defense?
    Notice anything there? The best defenders happen to be the older guys. The younger guys hopefully get to be better defenders with time, and we add some guys who can also score while learning to defend. Glass half full there.

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    Notice anything there? The best defenders happen to be the older guys. The younger guys hopefully get to be better defenders with time, and we add some guys who can also score while learning to defend. Glass half full there.
    I’m trying to remember how good Naji and Paul were on defense their freshmen year. I feel like they were already better than some of the older players like Tre and JP.

I do expect the young guys (like Kyky and Freemantle) to become better defenders with time. Though, my gut tells me that we had better be improved at scoring next year, because our defense is probably not going to be as good.

Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    I’m trying to remember how good Naji and Paul were on defense their freshmen year. I feel like they were already better than some of the older players like Tre and JP.

I do expect the young guys (like Kyky and Freemantle) to become better defenders with time. Though, my gut tells me that we had better be improved at scoring next year, because our defense is probably not going to be as good.
    I think it will certainly be a blend. Hopefully for the better......but we will be young, which concerns me in the short term.

KyKy couldn't learn defense. Maybe he will get better. Macura and Trevon were awful defenders but what can you do?
    Hope X can defend next year like Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    I think it will certainly be a blend. Hopefully for the better......but we will be young, which concerns me in the short term.
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    KyKy couldn't learn defense. Maybe he will get better. Macura and Trevon were awful defenders but what can you do?
    Hope X can defend next year like Virginia.
    At least they made up for it on the offensive end. I would be okay with a bit of decline on defense if we had another JP and Trevon coming in next year.