Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Samford has canned my goofball high school classmate Scott Padgett.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Samford has canned my goofball high school classmate Scott Padgett.
    :(
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Bryce Drew replacing Dan Majerle at Grand Canyon.

Word for GCU is that the Majerle firing was eerily similar to Dave Bezold at NKU - let him coach just long enough to help them transition up to D-1 and can him right after (or a few years after in the case of the Lopes) they're eligible for NCAA Tournament play.

I think that hire will end up working for Grand Canyon.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    Bryce Drew replacing Dan Majerle at Grand Canyon.

Word for GCU is that the Majerle firing was eerily similar to Dave Bezold at NKU - let him coach just long enough to help them transition up to D-1 and can him right after (or a few years after in the case of the Lopes) they're eligible for NCAA Tournament play.
    There was more to Bezold's firing. The school just didn't want to make a public showcase of it and the larger hoops community wasn't paying attention to what the NKY players had been doing, and accused of. Let's just say Bezold wasn't making sure players behaved themselves enough of what's expected.

It worked out for them with Brannen. Hard to say if Bezold would have had similar success.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    There was more to Bezold's firing. The school just didn't want to make a public showcase of it and the larger hoops community wasn't paying attention to what the NKY players had been doing, and accused of. Let's just say Bezold wasn't making sure players behaved themselves enough of what's expected.

It worked out for them with Brannen. Hard to say if Bezold would have had similar success.
    I had a feeling that might have been the case - I didn't understand the firing at all back then. Then again, with NKU being a public university, it should be harder to keep things like that hushed up.

Honestly, I wonder if similar stuff was going on at Wake when Dino Gaudio got fired. His firing and replacement by Jeff Bzdelik literally torpedoed a solid program.

Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    I had a feeling that might have been the case - I didn't understand the firing at all back then. Then again, with NKU being a public university, it should be harder to keep things like that hushed up.
    Well, there were a lot of stories in the Enquirer written over a period of time by a news reporter, not a sports one, that focused on issues at NKU around sexual harassment at different levels of the staff and student body. Issues brought up with players were discussed in those articles, but it was somewhat vague and I thought the reporter's approach was really painting NKU with a broad brush of 'they messing up big time.' Bezold said he handled the incidents by the book but there seemed to be some second guessing. Those players left the school at the end of that season. NKU had the advantage that as a brand new D1 school no one was expecting them to perform all that much and didn't pay attention to larger program issues.

But there was also an issue of NKU's athletic director doing some kind of scam with budget money being used for Kroger gift cards or something, then he was buying meals and food for some females in the department, who I guess were not his wife, and things somehow went out of control for him, he was reported and found out...now in prison.

Updated.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Is Lickliter still considered the head coach at Evansville? He lost every game after he took over mid-season. I think he went 0-13.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    Is Lickliter still considered the head coach at Evansville? He lost every game after he took over mid-season. I think he went 0-13.
    As far as I've seen, yes.

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook