Page 88 of 763 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098138188588 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nuts4xu View Post
    I like this one....

I do not think those curves have been flattened
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    All of the mitigation put into place by her counseling and advise has obviously saved countless lives in Ohio. Yet you want her to get a model perfect in a completely novel scenario.

C'mon man. Would you have rather her been wrong in the other direction?
    You don’t know that what she has done have saved lives. No one does. Most of the models assumed full social distancing and lockdown. That clearly didn’t happen and we still beat the models.

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    You don’t know that what she has done have saved lives. No one does. Most of the models assumed full social distancing and lockdown. That clearly didn’t happen and we still beat the models.
    So if we were just living our normal everyday lives the past month, we would have been fine?

Ohio was one of the earliest states to start mitigation, thus the resulting curve. So some of the models have prolonged this - isn't that better than a New York situation?

Not sure how you can question Ohio's response to this - it's been well ahead of the curve, which has been very beneficial, from a health perspective, to its citizens.

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    All of the mitigation put into place by her counseling and advise has obviously saved countless lives in Ohio. Yet you want her to get a model perfect in a completely novel scenario.

C'mon man. Would you have rather her been wrong in the other direction?
    I'm with you. Rather than taking the position that (1) the science is junk, or (2) there is a government conspiracy to terrify people needlessly, or (3) all government officials warning us about the dangers are grossly incompetent, because our experience is less horrible than predicted, I suspect that the reason our experience is less horrible is in fact a direct consequence of those warnings. We responded by changing our behavior, and that mitigated the dire consequences predicted by the models. No one is arguing that such models are precise in forecasting outcomes, but I believe that had we not changed our behavior, those predictions would be much closer to the reality in those circumstances.

DeWine and Acton have done the state a great service, IMHO.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

Junior
    What should we make of Sweden, where nothing was done and their death rate is 59 per million, as opposed to Switzerland where deaths are 94 per million with mitigation in place ?

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    What should we make of Sweden, where nothing was done and their death rate is 59 per million, as opposed to Switzerland where deaths are 94 per million with mitigation in place ?
    Switzerland’s outbreak began before Sweden’s and over the last week Sweden’s death rate has grown faster than Switzerland’s. Check it out

Also I would not be surprised if Sweden starts to implement tighter measures this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    Switzerland’s outbreak began before Sweden’s and over the last week Sweden’s death rate has grown faster than Switzerland’s. Check it out

Also I would not be surprised if Sweden starts to implement tighter measures this week.
    But Switzerland’s hospitalizations are higher so ��*♂️.

You know what Sweden also won’t be dealing with? A crippling depression that Ohio hasn’t even begun to deal with the repercussions that entails.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    But Switzerland’s hospitalizations are higher so ��*♂️.

You know what Sweden also won’t be dealing with? A crippling depression that Ohio hasn’t even begun to deal with the repercussions that entails.
    Did you look at the graph? Check on Sweden in 1-2 weeks and see what it looks like. And again, Sweden is likely to implement measures of closing businesses so it will be a moot point once that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    Did you look at the graph? Check on Sweden in 1-2 weeks and see what it looks like. And again, Sweden is likely to implement measures of closing businesses so it will be a moot point once that happens.
    Based on what their governmental leaders are saying, I've seen nothing to indicate that they will tighten things up. If you seen something different saying they're going to change course, please send it.

I found this fascinating, especially the discussion with the WebMd guy.
    Apparently the death percentage of people who go on ventilators is high. Maybe they need to change the protocol?

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog...acute-covid-19
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.