Page 8 of 763 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108508 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    How has India managed to avoid it for the most part so far? If you want to talk about people living in close proximity, India is the prime example.
    Simply put... hot and humid environments are generally protective and decrease transmission of viruses spread by respiratory droplets. That is why this virus is spreading more slowly in tropical and subtropical climates. Also, it is why we are hoping the transmission will slow down when hot and humid weather comes to the rest of the United States

Quote Originally Posted by 94GRAD View Post
    His avatar is Arcot Ramathorn from Super Troopers!
    OK, but I don't think you're Bill Murray or a blue blob.

Sophomore
    Also, the less enclosed environment where people are not stacked on top of each other also helps decrease transmission. So people are outside and about in open-air and not piled inside an office or closed space it will decrease transmission. These are some of the thoughts why the flu and other viral illnesses are more prevalent in the winter

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie in dayton View Post
    Postpone it for how long? There’s no reason to think the virus is going away anytime soon.
    No, but hopefully the 'Freak Out' is over soon. Even if it's postponed "indefinitely" they're not just going to come out and say that it's cancelled. At least...not yet.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    OK, but I don't think you're Bill Murray or a blue blob.
    I'm definitely more Blob than Murray.
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

It seems to me that the country is a little behind the curve in the response to the virus.
    The prior administration had set up a pandemic response unit with representation on the National Security Council to coordinate just this type of situation.
    That was dissolved in 2018 and funding slashed for CDC and other response areas.
    Now we apparently need a declaration of a "Public Health Emergency" to free up assistance for Washington State, which hasn't been forthcoming.
    And then another level of declaration is a "National Emergency" which would free up even more resources.
    Over all, the response seems to have been more "political" in nature (although a calming voice, if believed, is also critical), rather than what might have been more appropriate....lots of facts from qualified experts without being filtered through the politics side.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Warriors will play their next game with no fans.

IMO, any American administration would be behind the curve on a response to a situation like this - a lot of the actions that seem to be effective (significant event cancellations, social distancing, etc.) are harder to roll out across a country like the US than others. That said, the optics and messaging from the current administration have just been horrendous. I am not one who hangs on every Trump action or tweet as the newest end of the world, but even if you're a staunch supporter I find it hard to believe you felt his performance at the CDC last Friday was anything but incredibly uninspiring (to say the least).

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Just now from Dewine after the 4th case and first known community aquired case (patient had no travel and no know contact with anyone diagnosed):

"Shortly, we will be issuing rules in regard to mass gatherings in #Ohio. Every expert has told us that there is a risk in any kind of mass gathering - the closer you are to other people, the bigger the risk. You must ask yourself if going to a large gathering is necessary.

We are doing the things we are doing because we have the potential to become like Italy. We are taking the actions we are taking now to try to avoid that. The situation will get bad before it gets better, but it is in our hands to determine what the outcome will be."

Think we may see the tournament affected in Ohio. Not sure what he means by his statement about rules about mass gatherings but will be interesting.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

That would certainly mean the First Four and Cleveland site.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.