Page 639 of 763 FirstFirst ... 139539589629637638639640641649689739 ... LastLast
Results 6,381 to 6,390 of 7628

Thread: Covid-19

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    Paul, I’ve never been to Australia, but my DIL has. I’ll share the first thing that comes to MY mind regarding travel to Australia. First, let me tell you it’s a VERY LONG FLIGHT. Roughly about as long as it took for the Mayflower to arrive here, I think. The DIL was going for some outback thing and flying by herself. The guy in the seat next to her DIED in the middle of the flight, with nowhere to land. The flight was full, and the overhead compartments were full. Very few options on a commercial flight. THE END.

PS - this was well before COVID.
    Please tell me the airline did SOMETHING for her to help make up for that.
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smails View Post
    I appreciate you answering the question. Personally, I value freedom of choice, freedom of movement and individual liberty to keep me and my family safe versus the state controlling my movements. Here's some context to what you said you would support:

Melbourne- City of 5 million people has been locked down 6 different times for a total of 265 days...265 days of lockdowns. Shelter in place
    Sydney- City of 5 million people has been locked down for 114 days..shelter in place
    Coming out of lockdowns if you allow an unvaccinated person in your HOME you are subject to legal action

To each their own but this does not sound like the actions of a free society.
    There's a lot more to life than trying to avoid COVID. IMO those who embrace or even accept the tyranny like Australia area already dead. I think it's largely a misperception about COVID risk. I saw polls recently that the plurality thought their chance of dying if they contracted COVID-19 was 10-20% - this far into the pandemic! Roughly 2 orders of magnitude off - that is downright scary.

If the government and media were forthright about the actual risks of COVID, no one would accept the tyranny.
    "...treat 'em with respect, or get out of the Gym!"

Quote Originally Posted by XU_Lou View Post
    Interesting.... these numbers don't jibe with what's "currently" going on in Massachusetts right now (or Israel or UK for that matter). The CDC is using a favorable time period of April to early Sept when vaccine failures hadn't had a chance to fully materialize.

Here are the % of vaccinated covid deaths vs all covid deaths, per week, for the last six weeks in MASS:

40.5%
    29.1%
    38.5%
    44.7%
    44.6%
    32.5%

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/co...onse-reporting
    Here's Ohio's data - seems to be the exact opposite of what they're apparently seeing in Mass. Larger sample said as well.

https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/wps/por...ough-dashboard

And then you have this bit af news from the NIH:

https://news.yahoo.com/nih-admits-fu...125103852.html

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by chico View Post
    Here's Ohio's data - seems to be the exact opposite of what they're apparently seeing in Mass. Larger sample said as well.

https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/wps/por...ough-dashboard
    Thanks - didn't know OH was reporting breakthrough data! However, this link shows cumulative breakthrough data only. It does not tell us the percent of vax deaths to all covid deaths for a one week period. It looks like they update this report only once a week. Unless you have last week's data, we will have to wait until next week to calculate the weekly data. This will allow to do an apples-to-apples comparison to MASS.

Hang in there, this will get to COVID, but this is for those of you thinking you’re having a rough spell. A guy I’ve played tennis with for years for a couple hours a day Mon-Fri has a dad in his 90’s in Malaysia. The dad falls ill and goes into the ICU. My buddy hasn’t visited since Covid because it’s a 14 day quarantine upon arrival there. With his dad in ICU, he makes the trip on August 2nd. He’s in quarantine while his father is released from the hospital, but he’s still on lock down. He’s 12 days into the quarantine when HE has a massive heart attack. Two days later, his dad passes away. Then he has heart surgery requiring 3 stents and prolonged surgery because it’s some congenital defect rather than just clogged arteries and he learns he has extensive heart disease as a result.

After his dad’s death and his heart surgery he stays long enough to recover for his return to the US. Three weeks after arriving home he’s still weak and then becomes VERY sick. He has Covid. He struggled to eat with no taste and ran a fever every day for 3 straight weeks. He lost 20 lbs during that time, and he started thin. (He would play up to 5 hours a day, and I was just one of his daily “victims”.)

He’s now back on the courts and I saw him hit about a half dozen balls against the wall yesterday before having to stop and rest. This from a guy who would hit for 5 hours a day! He used to jump rope while WE rested! He’s upset with himself and waiting for the doctors to tell him it’s OK to go get the vaccine.

THAT is a lousy 90 day period! If you are having a bad day, it could probably be worse.

Sophomore
    And then you have this bit af news from the NIH:

https://news.yahoo.com/nih-admits-fu...125103852.html
    This needs to be highlighted on its own. Rand Paul was totally vindicated here - of course most of us already knew this. Dr. Fauci is a pathological liar, and he was finally exposed on a grand scale:

"A top NIH official admitted in a Wednesday letter that U.S. taxpayers funded gain-of-function research on bat coronaviruses in Wuhan and revealed that EcoHealth Alliance, the U.S. non-profit that funneled NIH money to the Wuhan Institute of Virology, was not transparent about the work it was doing.

In the letter to Representative James Comer (R., Ky.), Lawrence A. Tabak of the NIH cites a “limited experiment” that was conducted to test if “spike proteins from naturally occurring bat coronaviruses circulating in China were capable of binding to the human ACE2 receptor in a mouse model.” The laboratory mice infected with the modified bat virus “became sicker” than those infected with the unmodified bat virus.

The revelation vindicates Republican senator Rand Paul, who got into heated exchanges with National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease director Anthony Fauci during his May and July testimonials before Congress over the gain-of-function question. At the second hearing, Paul accused Fauci of misleading Congress by denying that the U.S. had funded gain-of-function projects at the Wuhan Institute of Virology."

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    A guy I’ve played tennis with for years
    You all are too old for tennis. You need to switch to pickleball.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    You all are too old for tennis. You need to switch to pickleball.
    Them’s fightin’ words!

Give me a few minutes to stretch…….

EDIT: On my last birthday I hit the magic age of 62 where our county says you no longer have to pay the school board portion of your taxes. That’s roughly 2/3, shockingly, so about a $5k savings next year. Getting old still sucks….
    Last edited by xu82; 10-21-2021 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XU_Lou View Post
    Thanks - didn't know OH was reporting breakthrough data! However, this link shows cumulative breakthrough data only. It does not tell us the percent of vax deaths to all covid deaths for a one week period. It looks like they update this report only once a week. Unless you have last week's data, we will have to wait until next week to calculate the weekly data. This will allow to do an apples-to-apples comparison to MASS.
    Here are the numbers as of 8/4, so it's not skewed from the numbers before people were vaccinated (tired to upload a screenshot of the numbers but the site isn't letting me). Compared to the current data, you have the following:

Covid hospitalizations since 8/4, unvaccinated - 13852
    Covid hospitalizations since 8/4 vaccinated - 1200

Covid deaths since 8/4, unvaccinated - 2904
    Covid deaths since 8/4, vaccinated - 163

So looking at the numbers for the last 2 1/2 months, the overwhelming majority of those folks in Ohio who were not only hospitalized, but died from Covid, were unvaccinated.

Here are the numbers as of 8/4, so it's not skewed from the numbers before people were vaccinated (tired to upload a screenshot of the numbers but the site isn't letting me). Compared to the current data, you have the following:

Covid hospitalizations since 8/4, unvaccinated - 13852
    Covid hospitalizations since 8/4 vaccinated - 1200

Covid deaths since 8/4, unvaccinated - 2904
    Covid deaths since 8/4, vaccinated - 163

So looking at the numbers for the last 2 1/2 months, the overwhelming majority of those folks in Ohio who were not only hospitalized, but died from Covid, were unvaccinated.
    Huh! These seem to be important numbers.