Page 44 of 763 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494144544 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    Oh, I think most of it get it at some point to some degree, but we can’t do it all at once. We can’t overwhelm the healthcare system. You don’t want to die because you need a simple appendectomy but the hospital is full. Stuff like that. This is mostly geared to just slowing it down and “flattening the curve” as they say.

The economic impact is going to be ENORMOUS! Our future daughter-in-law woks for a major hotel Out of 600 employees she was one of 40 to keep her job. THIS is gonna hurt!
    Exactly
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Junior
    The good news is that the government can borrow money at ridiculously low rates right now.

I think we're at about two weeks from "fuck it". Maybe 3. Hope we get this under control in the meantime.

Junior
    Imo, those who say "fuck it" are the weak ones in this war, not the ones who are isolating themselves. "Fuck it" leads to a huge body count.

Ordered the pickup from King Soopers (Krogers). Got 1/3rd the stuff I ordered. Didn't realize there was going to be a run on Orange Sherbet.
    2023 Sweet 16

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    Ordered the pickup from King Soopers (Krogers). Got 1/3rd the stuff I ordered. Didn't realize there was going to be a run on Orange Sherbet.
    I think it’s second only to toilet paper on the list of emergency needs.

Last edited by xu82; 03-22-2020 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smileyy View Post
    Imo, those who say "fuck it" are the weak ones in this war, not the ones who are isolating themselves. "Fuck it" leads to a huge body count.
    So will shutting down the country for a long time. You keep everything shut down for a long time and shit will get real. Trust me. Wait until a lot of people don’t have any money. I get we can’t overwhelm the healthcare system. It probably would have been smarter to put shelter in place for people over a certain age and let the country keep working but still practice washing your freaking hands, covering your mouth and staying home when you are sick, like people should be doing any way.

Shutting down is a necessity and most people probably know that to be true. Let’s say there was not a shutdown... would you want to travel on a plane with a bunch of sick people? People would still be avoiding public to some degree. It would certainly be burdensome on the health care systems to not have restrictions, but it too would negatively affect the economy to a lesser degree but perhaps for a longer period of time. The end result is simply better with early social distancing so we can get back to normalcy sooner.

I think 2-4 weeks more is all we will need to get widespread testing and an smoother operation in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    Shutting down is a necessity and most people probably know that to be true. Let’s say there was not a shutdown... would you want to travel on a plane with a bunch of sick people? People would still be avoiding public to some degree. It would certainly be burdensome on the health care systems to not have restrictions, but it too would negatively affect the economy to a lesser degree but perhaps for a longer period of time. The end result is simply better with early social distancing so we can get back to normalcy sooner.

I think 2-4 weeks more is all we will need to get widespread testing and an smoother operation in place.
    All indications are that at it runs its full course in about 3-4 weeks. It can incubate for up to two weeks, and then you can have symptoms up to two weeks. Therefore, if everyone isolated themselves for 3 weeks, it would run its course and be gone. The problem is that simply isn't in the human condition.

Say Ohio shuts down for three weeks. Well, Michigan isn't shut down (or is it?). Kentucky isn't shut down (yet). West Virginia isn't shut down. Nebraska isn't shut down. It could come back, and it could spread just as quickly when it does come back. This pretty much has to happen on a national level, and maybe even an international level, in order to completely overcome it. And, as a species, I don't think we have it in us to do that. Too many people feel that it's not their problem, and if it's not their problem then it's not a problem, so they're not going to cooperate.

I get it. I TOTALLY get it. I thought this was just a bunch of nonsense at first. I was supposed to wake up at a friend's house this morning after three days of binging on basketball, junk food, and beer and think to myself "My God, can my body take another day of this?". I was planning on being in Indy this upcoming weekend, and Atlanta next weekend. Yeah, it sucks that the normalcy of our lives has been totally disrupted. But, it could be disrupted for a hell of a lot longer if we aren't all collectively willing to disrupt it now and stay home. And, unfortunately, it doesn't look like we are all willing to do that.

I have a lot of friends that live in Italy and I go over there every summer. Talking to them every day and hearing about how awful things are over there scares the hell out of me. They have healthier people and live healthier lives than we do too. One woman I'm friends with is a doctor. A colleague of hers committed suicide a couple of days ago. She came down with the virus, and after being an emotional wreck trying to help people that had died from it just decided she couldn't take it anymore. I think we are less prepared than they were. I'm am now the complete inverse of where I was three weeks ago when I didn't think it was a big deal.

...and, another thing is that coronaviruses are often seasonal. That means they mutate quickly and can reinfect people. That's why you can get a cold or flu multiple times in your life. The more this spreads, the more opportunities it has to mutate, and the more likely it is that we will see a different strand of it again next year, and the year after that, and the year after that, if we aren't able to stop it now.

Do I think people should stay home?? Yes. Do I think that enough people around the country and around the world will do it in order for this to work?? Honestly...I do not. I'm trying to not let my mind go there, but we might be TOTALLY fucked here.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

There is so much being written about this right now, but I did find this piece interesting, though long.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/o...s-economy.html