Page 377 of 763 FirstFirst ... 277327367375376377378379387427477 ... LastLast
Results 3,761 to 3,770 of 7628

Thread: Covid-19

Supporting Member
    I gave our political leaders a pass back in March because there was very little knowledge about this virus, and how to handle things in the short and long term. Even back then though, I remember telling friends and family, that it was my opinion lockdowns were not the answer and it could wreck the economy. Nostradamus I am not, but just common sense. As the weeks and months went by, the lockdown mandates very clearly became a political move. It is a shame that at times our lives are being effected negatively because of lobbyists and political power. I doubt that is what the founding fathers had in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie in dayton View Post
    No need to apologize - I didn’t say I supported it. But in the name of fair scientific questioning, is it possible that a PCR test run at sufficiently high amplification cycles could detect DNA that is indicative of COVID RNA? As to masks and the flu, (we haven’t discussed that), there are numerous CRTs that show they don’t help stop flu transmission, and the CDC has recommended against wearing them for flu.
    Sure it’s possible to detect covid NA but the flu tests are also negative. False positive on covid and false negative on flu is not impossible but highly unlikely with what we know to be current circulating viruses. The flu is not circulating now. Perhaps it will be in a few weeks but it usually is trending toward widespread flu season now.

Regarding masks and the flu, there are also many studies that show it decreases transmission and even studies that show possible protective effect. The CDC does in fact recommend wearing a mask if you have the flu. In the past masks were not very available and in healthcare offices we would offer (sometimes strongly encourage) patients that were ill to put a mask on while waiting for a room to open. CDC website confirms that is still the recommendation.

Curious about something. I guess, and it's only a guess, that when you get a flu shot it directs your body to self-immunize, and when subsequently exposed to that particular virus strain, your body is able to fight it off.

If that is correct, have they shown that the new vaccines will work the same way? (maybe not enough time to know yet).
    Or, have they shown people who have recovered from Covid have developed the antibodies necessary to protect them from further infection?
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Curious about something. I guess, and it's only a guess, that when you get a flu shot it directs your body to self-immunize, and when subsequently exposed to that particular virus strain, your body is able to fight it off.

If that is correct, have they shown that the new vaccines will work the same way? (maybe not enough time to know yet).
    Or, have they shown people who have recovered from Covid have developed the antibodies necessary to protect them from further infection?
    The answer to this is pretty much the answer to everything covid related:

Yes - I mean No - I mean we're not sure yet - I mean No - I mean Yes - I think so - hell we're not sure

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post

It works the same way as other vaccines but by a different route... here is from earlier in the thread that explains it well:

Quote Originally Posted by noteggs View Post
    The Pfizer (and Moderna) used something we haven’t utilized before in genetic technology. It’s called synthetic messenger RNA and ironically it’s been around for 3 decades. Basically mRNA uses genetic material to cause the body to create a protein from the virus. Then, the immune system recognizes the virus and learns to attack.
    Regarding natural immunity it is likely that we have at least 3 months immunity after infection. Recent research says that may go to 8 months for almost 90% of people but the exact number is nearly impossible to know currently. It does appear however that the vaccine is more effective in the short and long term at generating an immune response that lasts a long time. This includes the Johnson and Johnson vaccine that has yet to complete and release phase 3 data.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN29G2SH

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/27/3/20-4543_article

All-Conference
    We're almost a year into this thing - more than enough time for people to be re-infected if natural immunity is 3-8 months - has that been happening? Doesn't seem like it, or we'd be hearing all about it. Seems like data on this should be easy to collect.

Not the random one-offs you hear about, but wouldn't alot of people start to get re-infected again?

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    We're almost a year into this thing - more than enough time for people to be re-infected if natural immunity is 3-8 months - has that been happening? Doesn't seem like it, or we'd be hearing all about it. Seems like data on this should be easy to collect.

Not the random one-offs you hear about, but wouldn't alot of people start to get re-infected again?
    I've not heard of anyone getting Covid twice. If people are getting it twice, I would imagine that it has to be a very small number. Like you said, you would think that we would have heard more about it.
    Balls of Steele!!

If a person gets over Covid, can they still transmit Covid to someone else even though they are presently immune?
    Balls of Steele!!

Just found out today that my idiot siblings back in Cincinnati have all managed to contract and give each other COVID. The have subsequently exposed both of my parents (in their mid/late 60's), but they are fine so far and awaiting test results. They are generally healthy, however my Mom is a cancer survivor who almost died as a result of an immunotherapy treatment (Cytokine storm - the same thing that kills a lot of COVID patients), so I'm not sure if that means she is at a higher risk for an immune system over-response. Pretty sure my Dad is on steroids for his back, too.

My sister decided that a vacation in Florida would be a great way to relax, and then proceeded to infect the rest of the family.
    Eat Donuts!

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    Just found out today that my idiot siblings back in Cincinnati have all managed to contract and give each other COVID. The have subsequently exposed both of my parents (in their mid/late 60's), but they are fine so far and awaiting test results. They are generally healthy, however my Mom is a cancer survivor who almost died as a result of an immunotherapy treatment (Cytokine storm - the same thing that kills a lot of COVID patients), so I'm not sure if that means she is at a higher risk for an immune system over-response. Pretty sure my Dad is on steroids for his back, too.

My sister decided that a vacation in Florida would be a great way to relax, and then proceeded to infect the rest of the family.
    I obviously don’t know anything about your family or this situation, but since you posted here about it, I think I’m free to comment. there are quite a bit of assumptions here made by you that may not be true.

Also, the COVID shame is pretty damn lame. I speak from some experience here.