Page 72 of 763 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122172572 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    That's a pretty stark example of how bad this can get when a community becomes overwhelmed.

Also - The fact that Anthony Fauci needs a security detail is a stark example of just how horrible we can be as a society.
    Last edited by boozehound; 04-02-2020 at 09:21 AM.
    Eat Donuts!

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    That's a pretty stark example of how bad this can get when a community becomes overwhelmed.

Also - The fact that Anthony Fauci needs a security detail is a stark example of just how horrible we can be as a society.
    The fact that we can be that horrible as a society is probably going to make this a lot worse for a lot longer. I mean, when this is all said and done, the overall consensus very well could be that the United States was the most poorly prepared to handle this, had the slowest reaction time on top of being so poorly prepared, and had the poorest effectiveness of the measures they took on top of being the slowest to react and the most poorly prepared.

We bloat out the defense budget because we want to feel safe. I totally get that. But, we ignore things like epidemics/pandemics, and cyber security. If a country tries to invade, we are ready to go!! If there is a cyber attack or a pandemic, we are totally fucked. In the future, maybe we should make the defense budget a defense and safety budget, and allot some of that budget to go towards keeping ourself safe from things like this.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Strange by-product of this whole deal...gas was $1.25 at Costco this morning.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Strange by-product of this whole deal...gas was $1.25 at Costco this morning.
    $1.19 at a Sonoco in Norwood this morning.
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

Quote Originally Posted by 94GRAD View Post
    $1.19 at a Sonoco in Norwood this morning.
    That's something. Generally the Cincy prices are about $.50-.75 a gallon higher than South Carolina when I visit.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    The fact that we can be that horrible as a society is probably going to make this a lot worse for a lot longer. I mean, when this is all said and done, the overall consensus very well could be that the United States was the most poorly prepared to handle this, had the slowest reaction time on top of being so poorly prepared, and had the poorest effectiveness of the measures they took on top of being the slowest to react and the most poorly prepared.

We bloat out the defense budget because we want to feel safe. I totally get that. But, we ignore things like epidemics/pandemics, and cyber security. If a country tries to invade, we are ready to go!! If there is a cyber attack or a pandemic, we are totally fucked. In the future, maybe we should make the defense budget a defense and safety budget, and allot some of that budget to go towards keeping ourself safe from things like this.
    Agree on all counts. The wars of the future are less likely to be fought with large armies and more likely to feature cyber attacks and challenges to infrastructure, power grid, etc. We are ill prepared.
    Eat Donuts!

We may be the only country accurately reporting the number of deaths from the virus. Reports are that Italy has grossly underreported the number of deaths..

It also means that this thing may very well be worse than we know.

Quote Originally Posted by chico View Post
    We may be the only country accurately reporting the number of deaths from the virus. Reports are that Italy has grossly underreported the number of deaths..

And the fact that the US is actually reporting facts, is probably making people freak out even more. If the US was hiding reality we would be like OK this isn't so bad, lets get back to work and playing games

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    Crazy, and a huge part of what makes it so dangerous! I took groceries to my 92 year old mom today. I kept my distance, but told her to wipe everything with the disinfectant wipes, toss the trash and WASH HER HANDS. I feel fine, but how do I know? Who knows when that stuff was put on the shelves, and by whom? It’s those sneaky carriers!
    It appears your governor is a Moron:

" Individuals could have been infecting people before they ever felt bad, but we didn’t know that until the last 24 hours.” Duh. This guy has been living under a rock for months.
    Last edited by bobbiemcgee; 04-02-2020 at 01:37 PM.
    2023 Sweet 16

Quote Originally Posted by chico View Post

Are we accurately reporting it, though?? Are we even doing enough testing to for the reporting to be accurate?? We may be accurately reporting the number of confirmed cases, but the number of actual infections probably still far exceeds the number of confirmed cases.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White