Page 84 of 206 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134184 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie in dayton View Post
    Facts. Absolutely 100% facts. But you miss the point. I’ll repeat what I said: “States where Governors fail to act with the appropriate timing and rigor of social distancing to save lives of their constituency will see a higher death rate than necessary from this.” It has nothing to do with what States did or didn’t shut things down. It’s about what States did or did or didn’t do to save lives. Apparently Arizona’s situation is such that little action was needed. New York and Michigan - they waited too long. They are or will go through hell and I pray for all the citizens caught up in this.

This not about politics. This is about ethics and science. If you value human life, you need to stop your stupid partisan shit and be an American, and be objective. We have serious decisions to make about how to save lives. How we exit this situation with morals and valuing the sanctity of human life - all things considered. If you want to obscure this with partisan shit, were all fucked. Make a good decision.
    Thanks and not sure how I was being partisan and or not an American by questioning if we are doing the right thing. Maybe we are or maybe we didn’t have to shut everything down. I am not sure. I am not saying shutting some things down was wrong but to shut down the economy will be viewed as a mistake when this is all said and done in my opinion. I saw a study on channel 5 in Cincy that there have been 70,000 deaths in about three months since this was first detected, worldwide. We live in a world of 7.5 billion, we shut the planet down.
    Last edited by xavierj; 04-07-2020 at 08:24 AM.

Sophomore
    It's my understanding if we had a widely available antibodies test, we could send lots of people back to work. I've been sitting at home for 3 weeks now, except for trips to the grocery or drug store. I feel fine, but prior to that I was volunteering in a hospital 2 days a week. I'm guessing maybe I'm immune, but due to being 70, I can't even volunteer anywhere, if I was cleared. I'm guessing if this or another virus returns, those at risk will be isolated, and the rest of us will be tested for antibodies, and cleared to resume our lives.

...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Sadly, in 2020 the paper of record isn't above tin foil hat wearing. They're the ones who "broke" the "huge" story of Trump having a mutual fund that holds a big pharma stock that manufactures this generic....along with a bunch of other pharmaceutical companies since it's a generic.

Yes, and here it is in that article. Damning stuff (not): "Mr. Trump himself has a small personal financial interest in Sanofi, the French drugmaker that makes Plaquenil, the brand-name version of hydroxychloroquine."

It's amazing how much we collectively suck.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Go, did you get past that point to the later references in the article?

This is all a mess. I have a friend who is close to someone whose family urged the chlorine thing as a treatment, and the person immediately got heart problems and ended up in ICU. Maybe it's a drug that works, and maybe it should be risked if nothing else is available. But most of the time we wait until clinical trials prove it's effective.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

And clinical trials are getting started. It's just that we kind of need it now. If your choices are dying or taking a chance on a drug that has apparently shown some promise, which do you choose?

This is probably a really stupid question, but has anyone checked to see if any patients that were taking hydroxychloroquine prior to the Corona outbreak have contracted Corona? I don't know if it would help either way to know, just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    [/B]

Is this facts or what you think will happen? Maybe Arizona is an outlier, but they are basically having little problem with this virus and they have not mandated serious action like most states. Then you have Michigan who has mandated all the precautions and is getting crushed and Ohio , who borders Michigan, who has also went full steam ahead with precautions, and they are middle of the road with cases and deaths. It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out with states that did and states that didn't shut most everything down.
    I'm not sure you will ever get clean data on that. For the most part the states with the stricter measures have the bigger issues with the virus, often due to proximity of people to one another, I would assume. Rural states should fare much better than more densely populated states, even with limited measures in place. Since the less densely populated states are often among those with weaker 'stay home' measures they will probably fair better. The answer is that the response probably should be different depending on the population distribution and the prevalence of the virus. Ohio is kind of an outlier in that they enacted very strict measures before they had any significant issues with the virus and the population in that state is relatively spread out. Florida may provide a counter-example in that it was managed the opposite way.

I would bet that Detroit's issues with COVID are traceable to the very large international airport they have that employs many people. That's a great incubator to get things started, then you mix in a low income urban population and you have an outbreak.

Arizona may just be 'lucky', or they may get hit later on. We don't know.
    Eat Donuts!

Quote Originally Posted by chico View Post
    This is probably a really stupid question, but has anyone checked to see if any patients that were taking hydroxychloroquine prior to the Corona outbreak have contracted Corona? I don't know if it would help either way to know, just curious.
    I know someone that is on Plaquenil daily for lupus and has contracted COVID-19. Small sample size, and they are on other medications that suppress the immune system, but they did contract it.