Page 392 of 763 FirstFirst ... 292342382390391392393394402442492 ... LastLast
Results 3,911 to 3,920 of 7628

Thread: Covid-19

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    You are equating the disease with the vaccine, and they are two separate entities. There are several viral infections that cause all sorts of problems including death. There is a reason we don’t want to catch or spread this disease. On the other hand there aren’t any current vaccines that cause death or really any long term issues. That’s why it seems as if it is turning into an anti-vaccine issue, it’s apples and oranges. The disease is not that much older than the vaccine, and the technology for the vaccine has been around way longer.

The quicker we have widespread vaccination, the quicker this goes away. IMO the result of the vaccine development could not have been better. We have a safe and effective vaccine less than a year of the first confirmed case in our nation. The distribution has been less than ideal but the development is unprecedented and the refusal to accept this as safe is going to draw out the disease into next year when it can be gone in half that time.
    I have no issues taking the vaccine - just waiting a little bit. I have no issues with vaccines in general.

I also have no issues with the way booze is treating this situation. He's free to live his life however he wants.

But so am I and everyone else.

Also goes back to the politics thread - just do you. Stop worrying so much about what everyone else is doing - that's an exhausting existence - for you and others.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    I have no issues taking the vaccine - just waiting a little bit. I have no issues with vaccines in general.

I also have no issues with the way booze is treating this situation. He's free to live his life however he wants.

Also goes back to the politics thread - just do you. Stop worrying so much about what everyone else is doing - that's an exhausting existence - for you and others.
    While I agree to an extent, if there are a large majority of people that feel the way that you do regarding the vaccine, that delays the country “ getting back to normal.” I’m all for the you do thing, but when it affects me and my selfishness :) I have an issue with it. Though, if you aren’t over a certain age, in Florida, or in health care/teaching we are going to be waiting for a while anyways.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    You are equating the disease with the vaccine, and they are two separate entities. There are several viral infections that cause all sorts of problems including death. There is a reason we don’t want to catch or spread this disease. On the other hand there aren’t any current vaccines that cause death or really any long term issues. That’s why it seems as if it is turning into an anti-vaccine issue, it’s apples and oranges. The disease is not that much older than the vaccine, and the technology for the vaccine has been around way longer.

The quicker we have widespread vaccination, the quicker this goes away. IMO the result of the vaccine development could not have been better. We have a safe and effective vaccine less than a year of the first confirmed case in our nation. The distribution has been less than ideal but the development is unprecedented and the refusal to accept this as safe is going to draw out the disease into next year when it can be gone in half that time.
    Great post, public reps.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

I get what you are saying, but I also think that in a society you don't always get to 'just do you'. We are all inter-related. In this specific example if we all (or almost all) get a 90%+ effective vaccine we can potentially eradicate this thing. That only really works if we call get the vaccine though.

Just do you works in some (probably many) instances, but not all. I also think it's often used in instances where people aren't willing to inconvenience themselves for the benefit of others, but don't necessarily want to say that.
    Eat Donuts!

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    While I agree to an extent, if there are a large majority of people that feel the way that you do regarding the vaccine, that delays the country “ getting back to normal.” I’m all for the you do thing, but when it affects me and my selfishness :) I have an issue with it. Though, if you aren’t over a certain age, in Florida, or in health care/teaching we are going to be waiting for a while anyways.
    This too shall pass - hopefully this time next year it's all a memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Yeah exactly.

It has been disheartening to see the number of employees in the nursing homes refuse the vaccine. It does not give me great hope for when this hits the general population. And so many of the reasons to not take it right now revolve around things the anti-vaxx movement puts out there. Lies, what-if's, all sorts of BS that has no basis in reality but all it takes is for it to spread on social media and you have people who otherwise would have got it deciding not to or to wait.

Luckily there has been some good news, at least in the nursing homes I know of, where the pharmacies have come out to give the second dose but will also give the first to anyone who changed their minds, and we have seen an uptick in people who originally said no and have now decided to get it. I think seeing co-workers get it and then get the second and having no issues has put confidence into some of those who said no originally.

Wondering for the wait and see crowd if there is a time period they have in mind for when has been long enough to give them confidence? The more people who get this, the faster we can put this shit behind us, at least to the extent that it has been dominating our world right now.

I do have hope by the time this hits the general population people will have confidence after seeing healthcare workers and elderly get the vaccine and have no issues.
    Last edited by D-West & PO-Z; 01-19-2021 at 09:03 AM.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Yeah exactly.

It has been disheartening to see the number of employees in the nursing homes refuse the vaccine. It does not give me great hope for when this hits the general population. And so many of the reasons to not take it right now revolve around things the anti-vaxx movement puts out there. Lies, what-if's, all sorts of BS that has no basis in reality but all it takes is for it to spread on social media and you have people who otherwise would have got it deciding not to or to wait.

Luckily there has been some good news, at least in the nursing homes I know of, where the pharmacies have come out to give the second dose but will also give the first to anyone who changed their minds, and we have seen an uptick in people who originally said no and have now decided to get it. I think seeing co-workers get it and then get the second and having no issues has put confidence into some of those who said no originally.

Wondering for the wait and see crowd if there is a time period they have in mind for when has been long enough to give them confidence? The more people who get this, the faster we can put this shit behind us, at least to the extent that it has been dominating our world right now.

I do have hope by the time this hits the general population people will have confidence after seeing healthcare workers and elderly get the vaccine and have no issues.
    But I don't think these are anti-vaxx type of people.

The hesitation is more a trust issue than anything else. There's literally been nowhere to turn for consistent answers through this. Can you really blame the general public? So many people think "the man" is screwing them, and in alot of ways, they're right.

Hopefully the transition to less of a shit show will help.
    Last edited by drudy23; 01-19-2021 at 09:40 AM.

But I don't think these are anti-vaxx type of people.

The hesitation is more a trust issue than anything else. There's literally been nowhere to turn for consistent answers through this. Can you really blame the general public? So many people think "the man" is screwing them, and in alot of ways, they're right.

Hopefully the transition to less of a shit show will help.
    Yeah that was my point, I dont think most of the people are anti-vaxx people. The anti-vaxx leaders and movement though can put out all sorts of BS out there and it can have an effect on people who aren't anti-vaxx and who otherwise would get the vaccine.

I also think our government, and the vaccine companies have done a horrific job at educating the public about the vaccine, the trials, the research, how safe it is, etc. I think they wrongly thought the overwhelming majority of people would be ecstatic about the vaccine and jump all over it.
    Last edited by D-West & PO-Z; 01-19-2021 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    I also think our government, and the vaccine companies have done a horrific job at educating the public about the vaccine, the trials, the research, how safe it is, etc. I think they wrongly thought the overwhelming majority of people would be ecstatic about the vaccine and jump all over it.
    Yes lack of educating is a problem. Unfortunately our politicians from both sides really screwed up the messaging on this one which is probably the bigger issue overall. Democrats with you can’t trust Trump and Trump with the whole warp speed thing (obviously a huge negative message to some).

You had Fauci saying getting a vaccine out before end of year is highly unlikely. Yes drug companies could’ve done better, but they have been demonized as money grubbing capitalists for decades. Not sure many people would’ve listened to those so called villains.

Quote Originally Posted by noteggs View Post
    Yes lack of educating is a problem. Unfortunately our politicians from both sides really screwed up the messaging on this one which is probably the bigger issue overall. Democrats with you can’t trust Trump and Trump with the whole warp speed thing (obviously a huge negative message to some).

You had Fauci saying getting a vaccine out before end of year is highly unlikely. Yes drug companies could’ve done better, but they have been demonized as money grubbing capitalists for decades. Not sure many people would’ve listened to those so called villains.
    Yeah I dont even know how much responsibiliy would be on the vaccine companies to educate. Not sure if that is a typical expecation on them.

But yes the government, CDC, politicians, etc have massively failed.

Yes the name operation warp speed was dumb imo. Yes any dem who said they wouldn't get or trust a "trump vaccine" was terribly irresponsible. Yes Fauci trying to predict we wouldn't have a vaccine in 2020 and being wrong about that was a failure.

I can't for the life of me understand why there hasn't been a mass marketing campaign educating the public about this vaccine. I have been saying this for months.