Page 67 of 763 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117167567 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    Preparation would help a lot. We are not a nation of preparedness at the moment, and we haven't been for a long time. This spans multiple administrations and political ideologies. For decades we have sacrificed the future for today. Just look at all the deficit spending we have authorized in the last 20 years. The lack of investment in our infrastructure (think roads and bridges). Shipping production of critical goods to relatively untrustworthy countries like China and Mexico.

If we had A LOT more tests, PPE, and ventilators we would be in a much better position. With respect to opening up the country the tests are probably the most immediately of value, because they allow you to know who has the virus and who does not. Part of the reason we have to have the whole country on lockdown is because we can't test. You could theoretically shut this down relatively quickly if you could test the entire country (or as close to it as possible) and quarantine everybody who tests positive for 2 weeks. That's obviously an impractical example, but the closer you get to that the better. Many experts think that South Korea fared to well because they aggressively tested and quarantined the infected and exposed.

NYC is a big problem. The people live in extremely close quarters. Now we are seeing the wealthy flee to their second homes on Long Island and the Jersey Shore and infection rates are rising there. The counties in New Jersey that are the hardest hit are all the counties where New Yorkers have second homes.

You are also right about us being a nation of idiots. We are a country of jackoffs. Not only can we not stay home for two weeks, we have parties almost to 'spite' being told what to do. Hell, somebody in Kentucky got Coronavirus from a 'Coronavirus party'. We definitely did not take this seriously enough initially and now we have to pay a much higher price.

China is interesting - while their government control makes it easy to stop things like this more quickly, they also lie all the time. We are now hearing that the actual infection rates and death tolls may be exponentially higher than we had been informed. Their government relies on people always feeling like 'big brother has it under control', so when they get hit with an epidemic their solution is to minimize and lie to the people about the scale of the impact. I suspect China was much harder hit than we initially thought.
    I have heard a ton of New Yorkers have fled to Florida as well. That seems responsible. Now if they were teenagers, we would be blasting those people for being irresponsible, but they are adults, so hey...

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    I have heard a ton of New Yorkers have fled to Florida as well. That seems responsible. Now if they were teenagers, we would be blasting those people for being irresponsible, but they are adults, so hey...
    Florida is trying to stop them at the border. I doubt they will be doing belly shots in groups of a thousand on the beach. Florida should have shut down BEFORE Spring Break instead of waiting until after they had collected the tax revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    Florida is trying to stop them at the border. I doubt they will be doing belly shots in groups of a thousand on the beach. Florida should have shut down BEFORE Spring Break instead of waiting until after they had collected the tax revenue.
    Too late to stop them as many fled two weeks ago. And they are adults so hopefully they are not doing belly shots, but wouldn't surprise me if they were doing some irresponsible things. Stay the F at home in New York and be responsible.

Supporting Member
    Stay the F at home wherever you are and be responsible.
    I think this is the better advice.
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

Quote Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
    West coast is doing better than NYC. You almost have to treat them as separate outbreaks. You can't contain people in states though, and as New Yorkers fan out it will spread.

Do people have betting odds on the number of deaths? Would be interesting to see where people are putting their money. I would be betting less than the 100-200K, but maybe that is just wishful thinking.

China limits the travel of people that score unfavorably, and they give everyone a social score. When I first heard that I thought it was horrible. When I see people on spring break, or Mardi Gras, or even this past week having street parties in the hood or in the sticks people hugging after church, I am kind of softening to the Chinese. We really are a nation of idiots.

What good is it if I am on house arrest if people continue to spread the disease? If we did containment right it could work, but we can't do containment right because of who we are. The Japanese can be trusted to do what they are told. Same with Koreans. They are homogeneous populations with high IQs. They are all one big family. We have idiots who spit on fruit or lick toilets.

Does anyone know of a good way to do a cyber happy hour? It would be nice to get some friends together online and see their faces, do some shots and say some silly things.
    I totally agree that we are a nation of idiots. That's one of our biggest problems. We have made things far worse on ourselves than we otherwise would have, and we will continue to make it worse on ourselves for a longer period of time.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

I'm starting to see the country shift the positioning of this being a New York / New Yorker problem. Kind of like how it was strictly a Wuh-- never mind. Stay safe everyone.
    Run the table.

Too late to stop them as many fled two weeks ago. And they are adults so hopefully they are not doing belly shots, but wouldn't surprise me if they were doing some irresponsible things. Stay the F at home in New York and be responsible.
    That's just human psychology. We are not wired to put the whole ahead of ourselves. Who wouldn't risk infecting others to improve their odds of not getting it?

Quote Originally Posted by SemajParlor View Post
    I'm starting to see the country shift the positioning of this being a New York / New Yorker problem. Kind of like how it was strictly a Wuh-- never mind. Stay safe everyone.
    The first death in Georgia was a few miles up the road from me. That kind of hit home. It appears our grandson’s “other grandmother” has it nearby and she’s in very rough shape. I have NOT forgotten.

However......My wife’s boss is out of NYC and on this mornings call said there were more ambulance sirens than normal. I don’t know if you’ve noticed that? They left to hide at their place in Connecticut for a while. For better or worse....good luck everybody.

The Whole Foods strike has me concerned. My Trader Joe's closed up for cleaning after an employee tested positive. If the strike spreads to Amazon, Krogers, Costco, Walmart we are all f*cked.
    2023 Sweet 16

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    The Whole Foods strike has me concerned. My Trader Joe's closed up for cleaning after an employee tested positive. If the strike spreads to Amazon, Krogers, Costco, Walmart we are all f*cked.
    This is why I engaged in "panic buying" a couple of weeks ago. I'm pretty sure we can make it a month (assuming hungry, armed neighbors don't intervene!).