Page 266 of 763 FirstFirst ... 166216256264265266267268276316366 ... LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,660 of 7628

Thread: Covid-19

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    The approach with children is slightly different than adults for a few reasons. Children tend to get fevers more than adults in general, and if all children with a fever were tested it would be a slight burden to resources. From the disease-control side of things it would be ideal to have a home test for your family to do the next couple days, which would be more likely to reveal a positive test in a small cohort like a family. That would obviously be an incredibly costly thing to implement. Hope your son is ok btw.

The article MID referenced has some good info on how long people are contagious. The CDC has recommendation based on similar data.
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...isolation.html
    Thanks. He seems to be feeling a bit better today (about 36hrs after first fever) and so far nobody else has gotten sick, but I would be lying if I didn't say it has been a bit stressful.

I just talked to a co-worker who lives in another part of the State and she was able to get a rapid test with no referral that results came back in 15 minutes for. Another neighbor took 5 days to get results. The variability in testing is insane.
    Eat Donuts!

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    Thanks. He seems to be feeling a bit better today (about 36hrs after first fever) and so far nobody else has gotten sick, but I would be lying if I didn't say it has been a bit stressful.

I just talked to a co-worker who lives in another part of the State and she was able to get a rapid test with no referral that results came back in 15 minutes for. Another neighbor took 5 days to get results. The variability in testing is insane.
    A buddy has a 26 year old son living with them for now outside of Atlanta. He developed all kinds of scary issues and after 2 weeks got in for a test. He’s finally feeling better, but after 10 days he still has no test results.

Best wishes to you and the family!

Supporting Member
    We need to lock down to flatten the curve!
    https://twitter.com/boriquagato/stat...814658/photo/1

And the only way to stop COVID is to stay locked down!
    https://twitter.com/boriquagato/stat...937152/photo/1

Or maybe not.
    "...treat 'em with respect, or get out of the Gym!"

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskie in dayton View Post

Or maybe not.
    As a young American, I struggle with the notion that everything has to be political. It’s like you are either a republican or Democrat. A conservative or a liberal. Shouldn’t we be American though? Shouldn’t we be independents that hold all parties accountable for their actions? The things these politicians get away with is just mind blowing. I would lose my job immediately if I acted/said some of the things they do on a regular basis. There really needs to be more accountability for the ways these elected officials act as their salaries come from taxpayer money.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie in dayton View Post

Or maybe not.
    Yes let’s compare NYC to Sweden to see if lockdowns work! I think we have ample evidence that “lockdowns” work here. We can’t be socially distant without them as a culture. Other cultures can.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    Yes let’s compare NYC to Sweden to see if lockdowns work! I think we have ample evidence that “lockdowns” work here. We can’t be socially distant without them as a culture. Other cultures can.
    Yeah. If you look at the overwhelming majority of Western Europe and how they are faring relative to the US it's stark and unflattering. Europe has much higher population density than we do and yet they have managed to contain COVID thus far. The most attributable differences being a more universal lockdown coupled with widespread mask wearing. Some relatively minor changes a while ago, for a short time, would have placed us in a dramatically better spot than we are in now. Instead we argued about masks and people took to the aisles of their local Costco to have a showdown over the 'right' to be a moron.

Asia is another example of an area with insanely high population density that has fared relatively well since the initial outbreak on Wuhan.

The Northeast US is another example frankly. They (we) still have relatively few new cases because we all locked down and have been universally wearing masks indoors since.

It might be as simple as an actual 'real' lockdown for 2-3 weeks followed by universal masks and extensive testing and contact tracing.
    Eat Donuts!

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    It might be as simple as an actual 'real' lockdown for 2-3 weeks followed by universal masks and extensive testing and contact tracing.
    I see you're in Cherry Hill. Things are obviously more open now, but what more could've been locked down in Philadelphia for the month of April? Should we be closing grocery stores too?

Quote Originally Posted by XU '11 View Post
    I see you're in Cherry Hill. Things are obviously more open now, but what more could've been locked down in Philadelphia for the month of April? Should we be closing grocery stores too?
    Nothing. I think that they did the right things and fared pretty well for a large city. The rest of Pennsylvania and surrounding suburbs have seen a second wave, but Philly is still doing pretty well, I think.
    Eat Donuts!

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xuphan View Post
    As a young American, I struggle with the notion that everything has to be political. It’s like you are either a republican or Democrat. A conservative or a liberal. Shouldn’t we be American though? Shouldn’t we be independents that hold all parties accountable for their actions? The things these politicians get away with is just mind blowing. I would lose my job immediately if I acted/said some of the things they do on a regular basis. There really needs to be more accountability for the ways these elected officials act as their salaries come from taxpayer money.
    You're confusing "political" and "partisan". If you replace "partisan" with "political", you're exactly right. I agree it's sad that everything is partisan, but then I hate both parties equally. Political means pertaining to public policy. So yeah, response to COVID is and always be political.
    Last edited by Muskie in dayton; 07-30-2020 at 04:40 PM.

Supporting Member
    This has been covered. We have ample evidence that lockdowns work... if your goal is to destroy peoples lives. But if you're trying to stop the spread of a disease, not so much:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/kylamb8/s...78514950459393